New York Lens

St LaurieSt Laurie Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Cameras
Hi, first post on the forum so I hope this is in the right section.

I am traveling to New York in May this year and am looking for a good lens for walking around with, I am looking at either the:
Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
or
Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor
I am interested in doing Street & Landscape photography while i am there.

Also can anyone suggest some interesting places to visit while I am there.

Cheers Guys

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 30, 2007
    St Laurie wrote:
    Hi, first post on the forum so I hope this is in the right section.

I am traveling to New York in May this year and am looking for a good lens for walking around with, I am looking at either the:
    Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
    or
    Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor
    I am interested in doing Street & Landscape photography while i am there.

Also can anyone suggest some interesting places to visit while I am there.

Cheers Guys

Hey there. Welcome to dGrin. (Do you have a name?)

I'm going to give you a shot over in the camera forum to see if you get some quick answers about lenses.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Of the two you post, IMO the 17-35 will give you the most range of shooting choices.

But, keep in mind that you may wish to have a more moderate-to-tele FL available as well. I shoot plenty with my 24-105L on a FF body, in NYC.
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Hi, I see you have the a 17-35mm lens IMO I would also say that would be your best lens to shoot with. For my Canon I use a 19-35mm and that lens stays glued to my camera. With your 17-35mm thats a great walk around lens you have both a wide lens and you can zoom in a bit if you like. Hmmm for some places to shoot, theres quite a few places, one is central park, brooklyn bridge (theres a awesome little park on the brooklyn side underneath the bridge), you can also shoot in the soho area of NYC (many shops and places to eat also). There is also top of rockefeller center if you wanted too, other than that there are many other great places to shot in the city.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    NYC Lens
    I just got back from NYC (had a BLAST) and the lens I used 90% of the time was the 18-200 VR... for the buildings etc... trying to grab the height of them.. I definitely used the 18 mm end of that lens... for closing in on details and street scenes it varied... Melinda had the 10-20 mm Sigma and while that came in handy a few times, I don't think the extra width was as important most of the time.

As for things/places to shoot... it's worth it to go to the Top of the Rock to get pictures... and you can pre-schedule your trip so you know exactly what time you can go in and don't have to wait in lines...

Go stand in the middle of Times Square at night and get some pictures of the cars zooming past you...

It's actually pretty easy to get Subway shots too, which to me is a real "New York" thing.

And definitely walk the Brooklyn Bridge. We took the subway over to Brooklyn (walked around Brooklyn Heights first).. It was a beautiful area.. and you get some great views of the skyline before you even get on the Bridge...

We also took the Staten Island Ferry and got some great shots of the Statue of Liberty. (Thanks Angelo and everyone else who helped with our questions).

I'm not sure there is a BAD area to shoot in NYC, as everywhere we went there seemed to be something worth seeing/shooting... There is a post in the Location Location Location thread that we asked about the Statue of Liberty and Angelo posted a couple of GREAT links that you might want to check out.
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com