Options

? as I go to XP Pro from Win 98SE

Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I posted the following in the thread about replacing an ancient laptop but decided I might get more response for this type of thing in a seperate thread. The things that refer to today are actually yesterday at this point.

Got Norton off and Avast on. It did take using some removal software from Symantec's site as the Live Update folder kept saying there were still products registered with it.

I have also worked with screen settings to get the color and size fonts I want, etc. but there are still some things that come up smaller than I would prefer.

Installing a Canon Pixma IP 6000D printer this morning was wierd — one place in the installation of the Canon software kept saying it couldn't find it and another place kept saying it was ready. I finally quit trying and it works.

Should I be able to install PhotoShop 6 without jumping through any hoops? Search doesn't seem to think the way I do to find previous answer(s) to this. A simalar (sp?) thing with (non photo related other than inserting photos in some documents) WordPerfect 7 — I would like to put it on first and then an old OCR program that works with it but not WP12 and then WP12; but have questions about them working well with XP. Have asked in a WP list but have not yet gotten clear answer.

I do also have questions about how to know when there are Windows Updates BUT know what each one is supposed to do BEFORE downloading and installing. I have put a number on but am so aware of the different places I have heard of ones the cause problems.

I do still wish there was a MANUAl for Win XP Pro included on the disk as such. A PDF version would be fine. Yes, I am one of those rare people that does read manuals! How about a book that I could buy?

I have a feeling there will be more; but now I need to get the masters made for the tickets for our Mother/Daughter Banquet. (Did get them done; now to go make the copies)

Thanks
Jane

Comments

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:
    I do still wish there was a MANUAl for Win XP Pro included on the disk as such. A PDF version would be fine. Yes, I am one of those rare people that does read manuals! How about a book that I could buy?

Wow, it's been a long time since I've even seen a machine running Win98, so I really can't help with your other questions.

For the manual issue however, try the Missing Manual series from Pogue Press/O'Reilly Media.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Hi Jane,
    Jane B. wrote:
    Should I be able to install PhotoShop 6 without jumping through any hoops?

Yes, it'll almost certainly just work. Photoshop 7 certainly does. Adobe tend not to do stupid things that break OS compliance too badly.

If stuff really goes pear shaped, Microsoft now give Virtual PC, an emulation environment away for free. You could install it, and install Win 98 inside it and run the app in there. This would be painful for Photoshop, but for Wordperfect it should be OK if you have a fairly new computer.
    I do also have questions about how to know when there are Windows Updates BUT know what each one is supposed to do BEFORE downloading and installing.

Set Windows update to Download and not install. Then when the icon appears click on it and it'll produce a list of the updates, possibly with links to Technet articles with *a lot* of detail about what they do.
    I have put a number on but am so aware of the different places I have heard of ones the cause problems.

This is fairly rare these days. It used to be a real pain, but if you're running even close to a standard configuration it'll just work fine. Generally it causes more problems not installing them, they're released for a reason :-)

This advice only holds for the critical updates, I'd be a whole lot more hesitant about installing optional software that you don't need.

If your machine has the resources to run XP, you'll find it's a lot lot better than Win98. It's far more reliable (as well as still being in Microsoft support)

Hope this helps,

Luke