Problems with a Nikon COOLPIX 2100

dwjdwj Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 30, 2007 in Cameras
Hi!

When I turm my COOLPIX 2100 on, the auto lens cover does not fully open. We have cleaned with a dry Q-Tip. It fails to open virtually 100% of the time. It opens easily with a gentle touch of your finger. What should we be cleaning this with or how should we be correcting this problem? Thanks!

Donnie

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 30, 2007
    dwj wrote:
    Hi!

When I turm my COOLPIX 2100 on, the auto lens cover does not fully open. We have cleaned with a dry Q-Tip. It fails to open virtually 100% of the time. It opens easily with a gentle touch of your finger. What should we be cleaning this with or how should we be correcting this problem? Thanks!

Donnie

Donnie,

Welcome to the Digital Grin.

Use a magnifier and small flashlight to make sure there is no visible grime in any grooves or tracks that the lens cover contacts or slides in, or slides into.

If you cannot see any additional crud that way, the problem may be internal, and would require disassembly and cleaning or repair.

If it does require repairs, it may be time to retire the camera instead. The COOLPIX 2100 was released Feb 2003, so it is pretty old in P&S terms.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums