Options

The Treasure of Sierra Madre

SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Landscapes
Snaps of the Wisteria Festival can be found here:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/2644174#139712099

139712099-M.jpg

The Treasure of Sierra Madre lies not underground in a gold vein but rather above ground with a lavender vine. The largest vine in the world is celebrated once a year in the little foothill community of Sierra Madre, California.

The 100 year old vine is now cared for by CalTech students and faculty located down the street in Pasadena.

Weighting in at 250 tons, this Wisteria vine lives in the backyard of several private homes. A few minutes north-east of Pasadena, Sierra Madre is nestled in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains (the mountains you see as a backdrop to the Rose Pardae and Rose Bowl games.) The little town of 11,800 boasts of no traffic signals and only one fast food restaurant. The town takes pride in its old Victorian and Craftsman homes and the Oak tree lined streets creating a canopy of green.

Gary
My snaps can be found here:
Unsharp at any Speed

Comments

• Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    headscratch.gif And I'm trying to coax 2 little vines on my trellis for portraits. bsvirginian
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    headscratch.gif And I'm trying to coax 2 little vines on my trellis for portraits. bsvirginian

LOl - this thing is impressive for a vine. My gf bought a Wisteria twig (literally a twig) two years ago for a buck. She stuck it in the ground and now we have blooms ... no coaxing required. You must have purchased the cheaper, coaxing required model.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed