139766178-L.jpg

139766253-L.jpg

139765457-L.jpg

139765760-L.jpg

139765565-L.jpg

Comments

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    bowdown.gif man Randy, these are sharp as heck..what f stop & shutter speed are you using?

you the manclap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    bowdown.gif man Randy, these are sharp as heck..what f stop & shutter speed are you using?

you the manclap.gif

thx Dave

well i should say i just got my d200 + 70-200vr back after 3 weeks at nikon so my af speed was unbelievable and i was sitting on the top of the dugout w/ amazing angles

i shot these at f4, iso 250, ss is whatever it is, it was very cloudy but i still set ev to -.3 and shot in raw...i'm finding i prefer to shoot darker and recover in PP, it only adds a few seconds to the workflow and i don't blow whites
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    How fun is that?

Althought how do you get people to respond, when ever I post a UMass vs XXX team in XXX sport no one responds.

Maybe I am not getting the hint.

I love the facial expersion on the first one
    and the 2nd to last one is a great capture in action.
    I also want to complement you on your clean backgrounds! Totally makes a picture more enjoyable to look at!

I am not going to lie baseball is proably one of my least favorite sports to cover, its proably partly because I only have a 200 lens so that limits action to the infield.
    edited March 30, 2007
    winger wrote:
    How fun is that?

Althought how do you get people to respond, when ever I post a UMass vs XXX team in XXX sport no one responds.

Maybe I am not getting the hint.

I love the facial expersion on the first one
    and the 2nd to last one is a great capture in action.
    I also want to complement you on your clean backgrounds! Totally makes a picture more enjoyable to look at!

I am not going to lie baseball is proably one of my least favorite sports to cover, its proably partly because I only have a 200 lens so that limits action to the infield.

thx
    I have alot of lens choices > 200 but I only take my 70-200...the only action i am interested in is in the infield....
    i also shoot a 2.8 lens at f4 for better contrast and dof and just watch my angles...baseball is my toughest sport to shoot because the action is very fast and unpredictable (except for homeplate which is boring now) and an afs lens is essential to being able to point and fire after the ball has been hit...i don't s/u on a base or shoot many bursts
    edited March 30, 2007
    I just picked up a 2.8 200mm for this spring because there will be some night games. I was pretty sure you were using 200 2.8 also. I've tried it once on the field so far.. great for the evening games... I did find that I missed having the length of my bigma (500)ne_nau.gif Thanks for the info Randy it will give me a place to start since I've only practiced with the lens one game & the season starts this tuesday.
    Dave
    edited March 31, 2007
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    I just picked up a 2.8 200mm for this spring because there will be some night games. I was pretty sure you were using 200 2.8 also. I've tried it once on the field so far.. great for the evening games... I did find that I missed having the length of my bigma (500)ne_nau.gif Thanks for the info Randy it will give me a place to start since I've only practiced with the lens one game & the season starts this tuesday.

is it a 70-200 2.8 Dave ?
    at high schools 2.8 could be a problem, at colleges and pros it should be ok
    edited March 31, 2007
    is it a 70-200 2.8 Dave ?
    at high schools 2.8 could be a problem, at colleges and pros it should be ok

Yes 70-200 2.8f ...You think it will be a problem ? ? are you talking about the crummy lights @ most of the high school baseball/ football games?...eek7.gif

I'm probably gonna find out on the 13th....7pm softball game. other wise most games are somewhere around 4 to 5 pm. I don't think it will be too bad then..........I hope.:cry
    Dave
    edited April 1, 2007
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    Yes 70-200 2.8f ...You think it will be a problem ? ? are you talking about the crummy lights @ most of the high school baseball/ football games?...eek7.gif

I'm probably gonna find out on the 13th....7pm softball game. other wise most games are somewhere around 4 to 5 pm. I don't think it will be too bad then..........I hope.:cry

on a sunny day f2.8 should get you to 7:15pm or so at a HS stadium...just remember to keep bumping the ISO up to keep the ss up unless u shoot Nikon then just use auto iso
    edited April 1, 2007
    on a sunny day f2.8 should get you to 7:15pm or so at a HS stadium...just remember to keep bumping the ISO up to keep the ss up unless u shoot Nikon then just use auto iso

Thanks....have not use auto iso on my nikon much...it kinda bugged me that it jumped around so much....I'll keep it in mind...thanks again.
    Dave
    edited April 1, 2007
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    Thanks....have not use auto iso on my nikon much...it kinda bugged me that it jumped around so much....I'll keep it in mind...thanks again.

remember that auto iso uses the same metering system you use to get exposure correct....it has never failed me and on some nikons like the d50 you can get iso values that you can't dial in manually
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    I'll be danged, for some reason I can't see a single one of your shots. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 1, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I'll be danged, for some reason I can't see a single one of your shots. headscratch.gif

sorry sid, i did some smugmug rearrangement

chk the last few pages here:

http://www.carolina-sportsphotography.com/gallery/2299484#139765663
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    sorry sid, i did some smugmug rearrangement
    I can't see them either. Can you re-edit the original post accordingly? rolleyes1.gif