5D replacement

OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
edited April 4, 2007 in Cameras
Any word or speculation when an upgrade for canon 5D might be?
Really need that camera but would like to wait till the replacement comes in so the prices would drop on this model.

Thanks!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Prices are already down quite far from the $3300 original msrp deal.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 30, 2007
    Those who know way more then I do expect an announcement around September/October '07. Maybe. Possibly. They can't hold it back forever. 5Dn maybe? Really though, following the recent 1DIII surprise announcement, Canon has shown they can keep the lid on their new product rollouts without leaks.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 30, 2007
    OneWayMule wrote:
    Any word or speculation when an upgrade for canon 5D might be?
    Really need that camera but would like to wait till the replacement comes in so the prices would drop on this model.

Thanks!

Compared to the cost of a stable of "worthy" lenses that the Canon 5D requires to justify its qualities (lens must cover full-frame "and" enough resolution to satisfy almost 13MPix imager), the camera itself is just a small portion of the total cost of ownership. I suggest if you really "need" that camera now, get that camera now.

Since the Canon 5D is the first of its kind (not a 1D series camera and not weather sealed), it's hard to predict with any accuracy when a successor might come along.

The 1D MKIII was just announced, and it was 3 years after the 1D MKII. (Yes, there is the 1D MKIIN, but it has the same imager as the original with faster startup, larger buffer and faster writing speed, so just an upgrade, and without a major impact on the price of the previous model until many months after the "N" was released.)

Since the 5D was announced Aug '05, the new model might be coming in the middle of next year. (Assuming it follows the same schedule, which it probably won't.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    ^ ^
    Cameras are only good as the lens and (from what i've read) this is esp. true with Canon high-end cameras. And I realize the investment involved thats why i'm switching over from Nikon film to Canon digital (boy am i gonna miss the ergonomics! :cry :D) but it'll be an on-going investment.

I was hoping for 5D replacement fall this year so anytime next year would be too far. I'd better start thinking about other sacrifices to buy just the body!

Andy wrote:
    Prices are already down quite far from the $3300 original msrp deal.gif

Nearly by a grand too!
    But students + 4 figure price dont mix well together :ivar
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    OneWayMule wrote:
    I was hoping for 5D replacement fall this year so anytime next year would be too far. I'd better start thinking about other sacrifices to buy just the body!

Canon have just started a £100 cash back, so Iimagine that so long after the other price drops so far this'll be about as low as it will go for a new 5D, ( I got mine nearly a year ago and the price hasn't dropped since ) and as you say if they bring out a new one Sept'. time it will still be 6 months to a year until it's affordable, so NOW is the time to buy a 5D IMO
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 31, 2007
    The only significant improvements that I would appreciate in the 5D, is lots better weather sealing and faster, more sophisticated AF aquisition.

I am satisfied with the sensor and the slow frame rate. Easier mirror lockup would be nice also.

It has enough pixels for me for most uses.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • h4rrih4rri Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Faster AF, newer DIGIC III processor and weather sealing are about the only things I can see being added. I guess a small increase in resolution and a faster frame rate would be considered. It's the age old thing though, you can wait years waiting for the 'new model'. I bought mine 6 months ago amidst rumours of a new model and have had 6 months usage out of it :)
    H4rri
    ~~
    w: www.randomphotos.net
    #: Canon 5D - 17-40mm f/4 L - Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L - Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS - Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro - 100-400mm f/4 L IS - Canon MT-24EX - Speedlite 430EX - Nikon CoolPix S200 :#