LPS#2 drawing to a close

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited April 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
One last weekend to try out new ideas, finesse existing ones, or start from scratch. Just make sure your final submission is posted before Sunday midnight (NYC time)*.

If you think you submission's strength is diluted by including both theme elements, now is the chance to try making a new photo using only one of the theme elements to see if it sits better with you.

But whatever you decide to do, we'll see you sometime Monday :wink

*Monday, April 2nd 00:01 (12:01am), NYC time (GMT -5)
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    tick, tick, tock....
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 2, 2007
    you last-minuters never cease to amaze me!! lol3.gif

while I have some of your attention, I'll take yet another chance to remind you all:

1. don't forget your exif! I have fixed no less than 5, count 'em FIVE, broken links for you! At some point, I'll stop doing this, so read up, ask for help if you need it!

2. why submit a tiny photo? SmugMug L is the way to go, not M.

3. That being said, 800pix is the max size! This is a serious game, and rules are rules.

I don't want to disqualify anyone, k?
    :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Major Question
    If one links to their Smugmug "L" size is it automatically sized to 800 pix on the wide side? If I reduce it to 800 pix at 72 dpi in PS, then the exif information does not show up once uploaded. If the original size is uploaded to one of my galleries, then linked with the "L", it displays as though it's an 800 pix wide. Any help here or clarification?
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited April 2, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    If one links to their Smugmug "L" size is it automatically sized to 800 pix on the wide side?
    No. SmugMug -L is limited to 800 horizontally and 600 vertically. Hence, if you link a SmugMug-L and your photo is in portrait orientation, it will be 400x600px. Ideally, size your photo to 800px on the long side first, then upload and link to the -O(riginal).
    If I reduce it to 800 pix at 72 dpi in PS, then the exif information does not show up once uploaded.
    Why not? make sure you are not "saving for web". "Save as" will preserve exif.
    If the original size is uploaded to one of my galleries, then linked with the "L", it displays as though it's an 800 pix wide. Any help here or clarification?
    Again, yes, if it is horizontal, it will be 800x(?)pix as allowed by SmugMug.
    Erik

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Thanks Erik
    For the clarification. Mistake of "saving for web" loosing exif.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Excellent tip DoctorIt about the exif and saving for the web.

I'll remember that for future rounds, just hope it doesn't cost me (any more than my picture being crap) in this round.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
    edited April 2, 2007
    Excellent tip DoctorIt about the exif and saving for the web.
    Your welcome, glad it helped.
    ... just hope it doesn't cost me (any more than my picture being crap)
    I can't help you there. Have you seen my shots lately? Exactly - NO, they suck! lol3.gif
    Erik

• tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Wow
    12 hours since the contest closed and not a single thread about "where are the results" clap.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    12 hours since the contest closed and not a single thread about "where are the results" clap.gif

Until now eek7.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:

we're learning:)
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    We may not have results until later tonight, so hang in there :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    We may not have results until later tonight, so hang in there :D

With the even 100(!) entries (yeah, some are disqualified, but still) judges are up to a enormous amount of work. Also, the number of really solid pictures is rather high (definitely way more than 10), hence in many cases it would simply have to be a coin toss decision.

And, hey, this was only #2. deal.gif Can you imagine what the situation would be when it comes to #20? mwink.gifeek7.gif

Once again, what a great opportunity to make yourself a better photographer! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    I totally agree Nikolai, what a better way to get more practice and with benefits, I for one, would not want to be a judge and have to make the top 10 decisions.....They must be getting brain fried...

GOOD LUCK everyone!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote