Focus Question

W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
edited March 31, 2007 in Cameras
Hi All,

Quick question... is it the lens or the camera which controls how fast you can focus (using auto focus)?

I have a D70 and a 70-300G lens (I know, not the best lens) and it is VERY slow to focus which makes it hard to use for sport photography... To improve the speed would I look at a new lens or a new body?

Cheers,
W00DY

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 31, 2007
    Both:D

Lens aperture speed has a strong influence - more light = more contrast

But the bodies have can have different AF hardware/software also. A Canon 20D does not AF like a pro series 1DMkll, and I suspect there is a similar difference in the Nikon pro bodies. That is part of why the pro bodies cost more.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    Hi Woody,

What sports are you shooting? I have a D200 and I mostly use a 70-200 2.8 AFS VR. It is super for sports. It is a super fast lens. It has a motor in the lens that makes the focusing really quick. They also have off brands like Sigma, etc if you can't afford the Nikon. I have the VR edition which is "sweet" but you can also pick up an non-VR edition on the market if you want something cheaper. It is still fast. I just upgraded and the Nikon VR edition is the best. Hopes this helps
  • W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    Hi Woody,

What sports are you shooting? I have a D200 and I mostly use a 70-200 2.8 AFS VR. It is super for sports. It is a super fast lens. It has a motor in the lens that makes the focusing really quick. They also have off brands like Sigma, etc if you can't afford the Nikon. I have the VR edition which is "sweet" but you can also pick up an non-VR edition on the market if you want something cheaper. It is still fast. I just upgraded and the Nikon VR edition is the best. Hopes this helps

Hi Jester,

I shoot whatever sport I can find :D

My son just started playing football though so I imagine I will be shooting a lot of that. I have the 24-120VR lens which is great, just not enough reach.

I am sort of looking at the D200 at the moment but just trying to decide if it would be best to upgrade the D70 or keep the D70 and get a better "sports" lens (like the 70 200 VR :D )

I like the idea of a new body, the extra FPS would come in very handy but then don't want to spend $2k (AUD) if I am still going to be frustrated with the focusing speed.

Cheers,
    W00DY