Portfolio--HELP!

anitasfocusanitasfocus Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited April 2, 2007 in Finishing School
I need help putting a portfolio together. This is all new to me.
I am familiar with some of the products available. HOw do I organize it? Most of my photography is not standard sizes.
Advice is greatly appreciated.
Anita:scratch

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    Asking a question this generic is like saying, 'I like rock and roll, what should I listen to?'

While I'm sure some of the fellow dgriners will post comments on this. Since it seems that you don't know where to even start...

I'd go around to the forums tof your preference, find shots that you like, go to their gallery and see what you like and don't like about their portfolio. (make sure you bookmark their sites)
    Most people have their gallery in their signature. Just click on it and take notes about what you like or don't like about it.

After you find what you like, get a smugmug site here, then go to the customization site here and say something like, I want my site to look like this!! (insert link to website here). The SmugMug support team here on dgrin is awesome.

You can also get tons of ideas from these digital sites as to how you'd like your traditional portfolio (hardcopy) to look as well.

Here's a link to some portfolio cases to get you started. (I'm not affiliated w/ this site, just have done business w/ them and am happy.

All the best,
    -Jon
  • anitasfocusanitasfocus Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2007
    You're right, I haven't a clue where to start. This is so basic but I have absolutely no professional training/schooling.

I am referring to a portable portfolio, not a smugmug portfolio. This is one I will carry with me. After reviewing numerous galleries, I have some idea of how I want to set it up.

More specific questions would be:
    1. How many photos shall I include?
    2. Do I include any information on them?
    3. Since many of my shots are not standard sizes, will that affect someone's interest in them?
    4. What sizes of photos shall I include?

Anita
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Here's my .02 on this:

1. How many photos shall I include?
    I would use 12-15 photos. Any less to me show a lack of portfolio. Many more give the viewer a chance to get bored.

2. Do I include any information on them?
    No. If they want to ask, let them ask. The more you talk to someone viewing your portfolio, the better your chances of creating a relationship and client.
    You can add a title to each shot, if you want to get a little artsy fartsy though.

3. Since many of my shots are not standard sizes, will that affect someone's interest in them?
    I wouldn't think so. Make sure to throw in some "standard" dimension shots too though. The only way this might loose appeal is if the viewer knows about pictures and know that it will be a hassle to frame.

4. What sizes of photos shall I include?
    Depends on how big your portfolio is. Your photos should definately take up a large portion of the page though. Let this influence how large your portfolio should be. Don't limit yourself to having one picture per page either. Your creativity is the only limit how your portfolio looks.

Hope this proved helpful for you.

-Jon
    edited April 1, 2007
    Excellent.

Thank you for your advice. That will get me started. I appreciate your help.

thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 2, 2007
    Be good to get an idea of what you want to accomplish with your
    portfolio.

Something you'll want to consider is the order of your photos in the
    portfolio. Let's say you have 10 shots. You'll want to sort them in
    such a way that your strongest isn't first. Probably last. The order
    might change depending on your audience too. The sort should present
    an image that draws the viewer in, keeps them interested and then
    leaves them with a strong last impression.

There are other opinions on just how you can assemble a great looking
    portfolio. A little research will help you get something that works well
    for your audience.

Good luck!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited April 2, 2007
    That's what I had in mind. I was going to divide it into sections specific to a topic (animals, landscapes, etc). That way I don't waste someone's time going through black and white's, children photos etc. When they want color photos of Arabian horses.