Canon Lens Question

mcp-photomcp-photo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited April 2, 2007 in Cameras
Hello all---I have a rebel xti and want to shoot portraits. I have a 50 mm and 85 mm, which are great lenses. But I need something that has a wider angle due to the xti not being a full frame camera. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy. Thanks.

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    Is there a particular reason you want something wider for portraits?

It's generally accepted that the 85 1.8 is an excellent portait lens.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • mcp-photomcp-photo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 1, 2007
    distance
    wxwax wrote:
    Is there a particular reason you want something wider for portraits?

It's generally accepted that the 85 1.8 is an excellent portait lens.

No particular reason, except that if I want to shoot a fairly large group, I have to get a great distance away, and if I am indoors that is difficult, especially in a small studio. Thanks.
  • PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    mcp-photo wrote:
    No particular reason, except that if I want to shoot a fairly large group, I have to get a great distance away, and if I am indoors that is difficult, especially in a small studio. Thanks.

If you plan on sticking with Canon bodies that are EF-S capable then I highly recommend the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Very good lens for the money. If you've got over a thousand bucks to blow then I've fallen in love with my EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. Both are absolutely amazing lenses. Not only great for portraits but they've become my primary walkaround lenses depending on whether I'm shooting with my 300D or D60.
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    And if you can afford the 24/105L, there is also the 17/55 EFS (both of which I have), and the IQ from both is very good. Perhaps the 17/55 is even sharper.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    I, also, can vouch for the 17/55 - mine is one great lens that I use about 75% of the time. The rest of the time is split between my 50 1.4, 85 1.8 and 70-200 2.8 IS. I mention that last set to give you an idea of the competition that goes on in my bag when I have to pick a lens and to give some additional weight to the fact that the 17/55 is my goto lens.
  • jorj7jorj7 Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    mcp,

How wide do you want to go? And do you want primes or zooms?

I have the EF-S 10-22 and 17-55 IS, both are very good zoom lenses.
    The 17-55 is f2.8, which is handy for portraits and the 10-22 is wiiide.
    Both are sharp and can produce great images. The other zoom that
    I've found to be a great lens would be the 24-70 f2.8L.

If you want prime, then the 35L is probably the way to go if you can
    afford it. The Sigma 30 f1.4 or Canon 35 f2 are good choices for less
    money. I've also used the Canon 24 f2.8 and 28 f2.8, but didn't find
    much advantage of these over the 17-55 or 24-70L (other then price).
    George
    SF Bay Area