Computer to buy?

photostudent101photostudent101 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited January 30, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Hey i know something was posted like this before but mine is a little bit different

Im looking for a laptop for college this upcomming fall, i really want a powerbook but they are alot of money and was seriously thinking about an ibook, I should have about 1500 and want to use illustrator and photoshop if possible with illustrator being the top choice and then probally iphoto, and your normal functions, because i am going into advertising and think it will be very helpful to have a mac, as opposed to any system that runs windows, i could be wrong tho, please tell me what you would do.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Hey i know something was posted like this before but mine is a little bit different

Im looking for a laptop for college this upcomming fall, i really want a powerbook but they are alot of money and was seriously thinking about an ibook, I should have about 1500 and want to use illustrator and photoshop if possible with illustrator being the top choice and then probally iphoto, and your normal functions, because i am going into advertising and think it will be very helpful to have a mac, as opposed to any system that runs windows, i could be wrong tho, please tell me what you would do.

you'll qualify for apple's students and teachers discount, no matter what... so a $1599 powerbook 12" becomes $1399... closer eh?

whatever you choose, good luck :D i'm sure the gear pros will be chiming in soon enough...
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    apple powerbook G4 at CompUSA for 999.99......

troy

• JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Will your studies require a laptop?

I would keep an eye on the AppleStore red tag page every Wednesday morning. That's when they put up new stuff. Go to Apple.com, click on the Store tab and on the right side is this:

456hdrt.jpg

Windoze, where do you see a powerbook for that price??
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    apple powerbook G4 at CompUSA for 999.99......

troy

that's an ibook... just fyi.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Yeah, an iBook on your budget.

You're gonna need to leave room in your budget for ram, PS and MS Word or possibly Office.

All can be had at educational pricing. Check out AcademicSuperstore for software prices, PS can be had for about $300, as can Office. RAM will cost you at least $140 at crucial.com. At that point, you're already over your budget, although not by a lot.

The iBook is a fine computer, and will serve you well in school. The small screen will make it tough to edit images, however, and one major advantage of the Powerbook in that area is that it can drive an external monitor (beyond simple mirroring).

I do not recommend the 14", as the resolution is the same as the 12", but just more spread out. That makes it bigger, heavier and more expensive. The only plus side is that the battery lasts a little longer.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Im looking for a laptop for college this upcomming fall, i really want a powerbook but they are alot of money and was seriously thinking about an ibook

The iBook G4 is a great buy if you don't need the PowerBook features. Mainly, dual-monitor support (as opposed to mirroring) and the ability to get a SuperDrive in a 12" case (you can probably swap it out, or FireWire burners are pretty dang cheap). I love my 12" PB. Just wish I had USB 2.0 and DVI (mine is "old"). In reality, a current iBook is more computer than my older 12" PB is.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Yup. Get the 12" iBook. If you're afraid you'll need more screen real estate on occasion, why not pick up a Mac Mini while you're at it and use it with whatever monitor you have lying around? :)

Get an iBook and a Mac Mini for the price of a powerbook.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Will your studies require a laptop?

I would keep an eye on the AppleStore red tag page every Wednesday morning. That's when they put up new stuff. Go to Apple.com, click on the Store tab and on the right side is this:

456hdrt.jpg

Windoze, where do you see a powerbook for that price??

That's a very good idea, but I would be just a little leary about buying an LCD product there. People tend to return LCDs for dead/stuck pixels that comply with Apple's QA policy, so they just turn them over on the recondition sale. May or may not bother you. I wouldn't have a problem buying a powermac that way tho.

I recommend one of the new iBooks. A bit down on features and bus speed from the powerbook, but they're a helluva good way to get into OSX portability.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    We got 2 products via the refurb section:
    a 17inch iMac G4 and a 12inch 1.2ghz iBook. Both work and look perfect.