Help needed... again

W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
edited April 3, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi All,

Well I am after some more help with Aperture :rolleyes

When I am uploading my images to Smugmug they really are quite different, the colour and tones are different (Scary thing is some of them look better once uploaded :rofl )

What am I doing wrong? How can I ensure that my images look the same on the web as they do in Aperture? BTW... I use an Aperture to Smugmug up-loader, if it makes a difference.

Looking forward to your replies.

Cheers,
W00DY

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    W00DY,

I don't know anything about Aperture, but what you're describing sure sounds like a color space issue. Go through the Aperture settings and see if there is somewhere to set the color space to sRGB. Anytime you upload an image to the web it needs to be in sRGB.

Do a search here on dgrin for terms like color space and srgb for more info.
  • W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    cletus wrote:
    W00DY,

I don't know anything about Aperture, but what you're describing sure sounds like a color space issue. Go through the Aperture settings and see if there is somewhere to set the color space to sRGB. Anytime you upload an image to the web it needs to be in sRGB.

Do a search here on dgrin for terms like color space and srgb for more info.

Hi Cletus,

I have looked through Aperture and can only see a colour space setting for export (to web) which is set to sRGB. My camera is also set to sRGB so I would think it should be ok?

The only other colour setting I know of (with a MAC) is the display setting which is set to calibrated monitor.

Any Aperture users able to help?

Cheers,
    W00DY
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Hi W00DY,

I don't think it's an aperture problem, but a mac-thing.

Have a read through this:
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2007/02/14/this-is-your-mac-on-drugs/

I think it explains what you are seeing.
  • W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi W00DY,

I don't think it's an aperture problem, but a mac-thing.

Have a read through this:
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2007/02/14/this-is-your-mac-on-drugs/

I think it explains what you are seeing.

Thanks for the read Ivar, (BTW love your aviator(SP?))

Thing is I have done that... I calibrated my monitor using the MAC calibration tool and set the gamma to 2.2 and D65 White Point. Maybe this is the problem, my calibration was not that great?

Anyway I changed the display to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and it looks a bit better (not spot on but better).

So I guess that is the solution, work in sRGB with my display as well.

Cheers,
    W00DY
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    W00DY wrote:

Thing is I have done that... I calibrated my monitor using the MAC calibration tool and set the gamma to 2.2 and D65 White Point. Maybe this is the problem, my calibration was not that great?

Anyway I changed the display to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and it looks a bit better (not spot on but better).

So I guess that is the solution, work in sRGB with my display as well.

Cheers,
    W00DY
    It's a great article to read. To be honest, I don't know enought to explain it myself, is just know how to fix it :D If you want to go more in-depth on this, Andy, Baldy, or someone else will have to come to the rescue.
    W00DY wrote:
    The little picture you mean? It's an avatar. (I am an aviator, but that's another story.) The little picture is actually also me, when I was a little kid. I was wearing some sort of woolen 'hoody' as it was cold. Well, probably not that cold, but my mother was a little protective lol3.gif