Showdown at second

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited April 1, 2007 in Sports
Spent a wonderful afternoon in a prime spot right next to the dugout. The GaTech-MD game was sparsely attended - something I hope happens often. :evil No evil media elbowing for spots. :lol3

Still haven't worked out a spot where I can get the ball coming at the lens from the pitcher's hand, but I'm working on it. That could take a thousand or two attempts to get right, but I have the memory cards!

Here's a standard play at second. Now that I've started to think my way through the game situations, it's getting easier to predict when there will be a play there. What's not so easy is getting a close play. Most aren't that close.

In this case, I'm choosing to show the moment of visual confrontation between the shortstop and the base runner. The shortstop has the ball, and the runner's seeing his life flash before his eyes. I know the catechism says you need to show the ball, and I have such a shot. But to me the eye contact is far more compelling than a bouncing ball.

140189179-L.jpg

The thing that fascinates me, and slightly horrifies me, about baseball is the stress pitchers put on their arms. When you slow it down, you can see how distorted the limb gets. No wonder they're so frequently injured.

140189182-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Sid,
    Nice captures! I think you caught the tension and the pressure of the game!

Speaking of the pitching and injuries.. Yeah, this sounds familiar...
    In USSR the hand grenade throwing test was a mandatory one in both (the analog of) high school and (the analog of) college, as well it was a sine qua non part of various multi-athletic competitions. I do remember myself and my buddies having various arm injuries due to the lack of warmup or something.
    Those grenades (duds in test, but same weight/shape as the real thing) were (and still are) much heavier than a baseball, and you had to throw it at least over 100 ft (and preferably over 120 ft) and hit a ~6'x6' ground target at that (imitation of a firepit), or you fail..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    After shooting the pitcher, the batter and second base for a couple of hours (it was a looong game) my lazy brain finally decided to try something different. I decided to pick a fielder (the second baseman) and try to get him making a play.

Well, that can be a very long wait. So when I noticed a bit of a pattern, I tried to make something of it.

140189170-L.jpg

Umpires are trained to be emphatic in their calls. They're trying to stop the debate before it starts. So many of them develop a little dance when they strike someone out. I never really got this guy in full flight, for some reason the autofocus struggled with him, but what the heck.

140204166-L.jpg

Above the dugout are kids who beg for balls between innings. This guy was nicely isolated against the sky, so I grabbed him.

140189175-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited April 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    In USSR the hand grenade throwing test was a mandatory one in both (the analog of) high school and (the analog of) college, as well it was a sine qua non part of various multi-athletic competitions. I do remember myself and my buddies having various arm injuries due to the lack of warmup or something.
    Those grenades (duds in test, but same weight/shape as the real thing) were (and still are) much heavier than a baseball, and you had to throw it at least over 100 ft (and preferably over 120 ft) and hit a ~6'x6' ground target at that (imitation of a firepit), or you fail..

eek7.gif

Different cultures are fascinating, Nikolai. A holdover from the war, I assume?
    Sid.
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    The thing that fascinates me, and slightly horrifies me, about baseball is the stress pitchers put on their arms. When you slow it down, you can see how distorted the limb gets. No wonder they're so frequently injured.

140189182-L.jpg

That's a great pic. He must be double jointed eek7.gif
    edited April 1, 2007
    Seamus wrote:
    That's a great pic. He must be double jointed eek7.gif
    It's amazing, Seamus, they all do that.

Here's another pitcher from the same game.

140214569-M-0.jpg

BTW, guess who won?

lol3.gif

140213124-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Sid,
    wxwax wrote:
    eek7.gif
    Different cultures are fascinating, Nikolai. A holdover from the war, I assume?
    No, not really, it was more like "we're alone in the world, everybody is our enemy, we need to be prepared to defend ourselves" and all that BS...

But the truth of the matter was that USSR was a humongous war-oriented machine (we weren't called Evil Empire for nothing deal.gif).
    All the population was brainwashed and trained since the very childhood till death, and all the major factories and production facilities were built with so called "dual purpose" in mind. During the peace time such a factory could produce tractors, bottles or gloves, but in case of war it could almost immediately (days, if not hours) switch to productions of tanks, gas masks or army boots.

We had a joke (there were many, this is just an example) about a guy who was working at the factory that was producing sewing machines. Theft was very common (at the time at least, but probably still), so he decided to steal the parts and assemble a sewing machine for his household (since they were nay to impossible to purchase). He managed to steal all the various parts, but no matter how hard he tried, he always ended up with a heavy machine gun.... mwink.gif
    It was a joke, but it was oh so true... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 1, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif That's a great joke.
    Sid.
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    yes, it is :)

Love the shots too!
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Good work, Sid. I like the eye contact as well. And the "winner" shot. :D
    Tim