Color correction question.

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited April 3, 2007 in Technique
I have a group of images shot in studio that all have a color cast. I am hoping someone can help me with identifying the correction needed.

The images are all shot in fine jpg with a custon preset white balance. I set this preset white balance using a white balance target in studio under the same lighting conditions as the shoot, minutes before.

I have done this on many occasions with no serious issues. On this occassion All of the images have a color cast. I dont know why but the improtant thing is to figure out how to fix them. Color correction is not my strong suite. I was hoping someone could help me.

Here is a sample image.

140257905-L.jpg

HERE is a link to the original file.

Thx in advance for any help you can manage.

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Looks green.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Greaper,

Try clicking the gray dropper in a curves dialog box on the boy's white undershirt. Then save that curve an apply to the rest of the images. Should work.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Wow.

I am going to play with that, but it seemed to work very well.

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    edited April 1, 2007
    Here's my effort. It was underexposed, so I raised the white level in Levels, then found a black point in the crack in the wood.

I supect folks with better skin tone skills can do a better job.

140299532-O.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited April 1, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Looks green.

Thx sid. Green... maybe a yellowish green... yuck. Davids fix seems to be working.
    edited April 1, 2007
    lol3.gif Like I said... David's suggestion is much better, got rid of my green.

140301852-M.jpg
    Sid.
    edited April 1, 2007
    Here's mine.

(a really quick fix on it)
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 1, 2007
    Here's the curve I used. I had to trick dgrin into accepting the attachment by changing the extension to .txt. Just change it back to .acv, and it should work....
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 1, 2007
    I will see what your curve did compared to mine. As it stand now, using your advise, here is my worked up image...

140303223-L.jpg

Does it seem that the color cast is corrected?
    edited April 1, 2007
    Looks like you did nicely. I'm not even sure about mine, as I don't trust my laptop like I do my desktop, and I tend to oversaturate when on the laptop. Yours looks mighty-fine, to me. Nice job! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 1, 2007
    Based on what you guys have shown me, I think I will add a new step to my shooting workflow. When I set the preset white balance, I will take a photo of the target with my first shot. That way I can create a custom curve for the shoot using the white in the target for referance.

I have created an action to apply the curve to each image from the shoot. You guys have been a great help.

PS, I cant figure out how to change the file extension back to try your curve.
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    You wrote....
    PS, I cant figure out how to change the file extension back to try your curve.

All you have to do is have the file in a folder or on the desktop etc. Right click it, pick rename, then change the name from whatever.txt to whatever.acv and hit enter.

The file will be renamed. I do it all the time to send groups of photos. I like to send mine in exe form to elderly family since they can't seem to grasp the concept of .zip. So rather than teach them how to unzip them, I taught them how to rename. Much simpler for 75 yr old peeps.....most of the time. Many email programs won't let you send an exe, so I change it to zip and they change it back.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Here's my feble attempt Brian. I used Davids trick, brightened with Levels and used selective color to take a little of the red out of his face. It's pretty close to what you got on your latest try. Thanks for the neat little trick David, I've never tried that one before.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto