Exif

RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited April 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Although I much like the idea of joining SmugMug from what I’ve read so far, I am just to busy for now to go through the motions of it. I read somewhere along the lines that the picture did not have to be hosted there, so for now, I just put it up on some free webspace I’ve got. Here is where I’m finally getting to the point:
Could you please give a list of exif data that is a must to be supplied with the entries if exif can not be linked?
Here’s the exif I supplied with my last entry, but I’m sure you don’t need all this, so could you give us a cut down version of it, please?

Width
Height
Horizontal Resolution
Vertical Resolution
Bit Depth
Frame Count
Equipment Make
Camera Model
Creation Software
Color Representation
Shutter Speed
Lens Aperture
Flash Mode
Focal Length
F-Number
Exposure Time
ISO Speed
Metering Mode
Light Source
Exposure Program
Exposure Compensation
Date Picture Taken
Edited
File size
Lens
Robert

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 2, 2007
    Hi Robert,
    While I can sympathize with you, I'm not going to give a specific list of exif fields, sorry. There are a couple reasons for this:

1) Appending is my least favorite way of showing exif and I don't want to encourage it! Yes, that's selfish and untrustworthy of me, but it's true.

2) This is a big deal with lots at stake, you (collectively) should be putting in the effort to embed or link, etc.

3) everyone's camera has different exif fields.

I'll just reiterate the rules, shot data must be clearly shown, and verify that the shot was taken during the challenge period to be eligible.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Robert, it's actually quite simple and you're overthinking it :D

Sure, host the file on any webspace you want! Use photoshop or similar tool on your end, resize the photo to 800px on the long side, and use SAVE AS when you save the file, this will preserve the exif information.

Embed the ORIGINAL file and we'll be able to see the exif.
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    I tend to agree with you on your points Erik, but it seems to have been more of a not understanding the terminology on my part. And thanks Andy for explaining that bit. If I got it right now, what you are saying is that as long as I don’t actually remove the exif from the image, i.e. by using a program that would not preserve it, it is in the image anyway and you will be able to check it just by calling up the property of the image. Meaning, no long list of detail needs to be added to the entry. Correct?
    Robert
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    that is ok
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited April 2, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    I tend to agree with you on your points Erik, but it seems to have been more of a not understanding the terminology on my part. And thanks Andy for explaining that bit. If I got it right now, what you are saying is that as long as I don’t actually remove the exif from the image, i.e. by using a program that would not preserve it, it is in the image anyway and you will be able to check it just by calling up the property of the image. Meaning, no long list of detail needs to be added to the entry. Correct?
    Yes.

Appending is nice, and a good backup (just shot data, not exposure stuff, don't care), but embedded is good enough if done correctly.

Also, if you use the "attach" method, exif is stripped.
    Erik

edited April 2, 2007
    jwear wrote:
    would you like the raw file or the tif they have it .
    No.
    Erik

• RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yes.

Appending is nice, and a good backup (just shot data, not exposure stuff, don't care), but embedded is good enough if done correctly.

Also, if you use the "attach" method, exif is stripped.
    Got you! Thanks Erik.
    Robert