Options

Replacing a Laptop Screen

ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
edited April 8, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I use a HP ZD8000 laptop and the screen has got 2 vertical lines in it (one just popped up today, the other one has been there for a month). I think I'm going to have to replace the screen.

Has anyone got a parts company that they have used before and can recommend? Also, has anyone changed one out? Is it something I can do? I've changed parts on a desktop many times but never tried it on a laptop.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    ebwest wrote:
    I use a HP ZD8000 laptop and the screen has got 2 vertical lines in it (one just popped up today, the other one has been there for a month). I think I'm going to have to replace the screen.

Has anyone got a parts company that they have used before and can recommend? Also, has anyone changed one out? Is it something I can do? I've changed parts on a desktop many times but never tried it on a laptop.
    First, make sure it's the screen and not the video card. Though it may be obvious to you that it's a physical problem...

Depending on the laptop model (I'm not familiar with HPs), it can definitely be switched by someone comfortable with electronics. It's helpful if you can find the correct instructions on the web. I've done it with a Dell and a Toshiba (I am an experienced sysadmin). It will probably require some jeweler's screwdrivers, and sometimes you have to remove adhesive patches which aren't easy to replace.

I've had good luck and cheap prices off of Ebay, but you always have to be wary.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2007
    Thanks Chris, I can do anything with those little screwdriversrolleyes1.gif

I don't think it's the card, I plugged it into an external monitor and it worked fine.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2007
    Sometimes it's the cable between the motherboard and the LCD, so the problem won't show up when you plug it in to an external monitor. Reseating that connector can help.

Crack the sucker open and see what it looks like. :D
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2007
    OK, I'm goin in.....let you know in a few days.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    All is well. I ordered a screen from Laptopscreens1 on ebay and installed it in about 30 minutes. It actually looks better than the original screen.

Thanks for responding.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    Excellent, easier than you thought, huh?
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Excellent, easier than you thought, huh?

Very much so. Now, if I could only find that one little screw.......
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited April 8, 2007
    ebwest wrote:
    Very much so. Now, if I could only find that one little screw.......

If it was a PITA to take apart and the screws unnecessary (like the forty
    seven screws used to close a hinged lid), then only enough to hold that
    sucker solid are going back in deal.gif

Glad it worked out for you!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?