Options

Fargin' forever to download images from CF card!

jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited April 3, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
(Dunno if this is the right forum...Move it if need be.)

It takes forever to download images from my CF card to my computer. On both of my Kingston 45x 4G cards, it takes about one hour to transfer a full card.

I shoot only in RAW.

Is this normal?
Semper fi,
Brad
www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    jbswear wrote:
    (Dunno if this is the right forum...Move it if need be.)

It takes forever to download images from my CF card to my computer. On both of my Kingston 45x 4G cards, it takes about one hour to transfer a full card.

I shoot only in RAW.

Is this normal?
    what do you use to transfer the images? Cardreader? what connection?
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    what do you use to transfer the images? Cardreader? what connection?

Oh yeah, oops.

I plug the card directly into the computer. Compaq Presario SR1620NX is the model.
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 2, 2007
    jbswear wrote:
    Oh yeah, oops.

I plug the card directly into the computer. Compaq Presario SR1620NX is the model.

That sounds awfully slow to me. I gather the computer has a built-in card reader. Is the transfer done as a Windows file transfer or is some application program started up automatically? Have you tried to see how long it takes if you use an external card reader?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    jbswear wrote:
    Oh yeah, oops.

If it's internal, make sure that the USB (cardreaders usually use a usb port) in the BIOS is set to 2.0, and not 1.1 or hispeed instead of low-speed.

Like RS said, check if external works faster, if attaching camera is faster, etc to see see what is causing it to be so slow. It should go lots faster. I use FW card reader. 2Gig card takes less than 2 minutes... granted USB is in reality slower, it should not be by a factor 30 mwink.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    I suspect that the built-in card reader is only USB 1.x. These are usually fixed and not modifiable. I bought an HP system for my sister-in-law last year and it had this same "defect."

Like everyone else has said, If you attach an external USB 2.0 card reader to one of the other USB ports, my guess is your speed will increase dramatically.

Annoying, since it *should* work the way you expect...
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    If it's internal, make sure that the USB (cardreaders usually use a usb port) in the BIOS is set to 2.0, and not 1.1 or hispeed instead of low-speed.

How do I do this?
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I suspect that the built-in card reader is only USB 1.x. These are usually fixed and not modifiable. I bought an HP system for my sister-in-law last year and it had this same "defect."

Like everyone else has said, If you attach an external USB 2.0 card reader to one of the other USB ports, my guess is your speed will increase dramatically.

Annoying, since it *should* work the way you expect...

15524779-Ti.gif That kind of speed (or rather lack thereof) sounds like USB 1.1 and I'll bet there's nothing you can do about it short of getting a USB 2.0 add-on card. ...Hold that thought, HP's site says you have 2 USB 2.0 ports in the front, so an external USB 2.0 reader should help transfer speeds a lot.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Does your machine have a cardbus slot (i.e. PC card/PCMCIA)?

If so, a good solution is to get a compact flash PC Card 32 bit cardbus adapter. Some examples are here and here. If you go this route make sure you are buying a 32bit cardbus adapter, not an old 16bit adapter. The 32bit cardbus adapter will complete the transfer in a couple minutes. The older 16bit adapter will take up to an hour.

I prefer this solution over an external USB card reader as it is more compact and you don't have an external hardware or cables sticking out of your machine while using it.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Does your machine have a cardbus slot (i.e. PC card/PCMCIA)?

This is a desktop system, not a laptop. So it needs to be an external reader. I agree, though, it is a good solution for a laptop. I have an eFilm Pro reader.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2007
    Thanks, guys. I'll be shopping for a card reader soon!
    Semper fi,
    Brad