Mammoth Cave, Ky

SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited April 6, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hey Guys,

Got back yesterday from our annual Mammoth Cave National Park restoration work weekend. Cavers from several grotto clubs come each year to volunteer their time to help with odd jobs within the cave. This year we did some basic trail maintenance work and I had the opportunity to sneak in a few pics here and there.

Currently the total surveyed portions of Mammoth Cave are at around 350miles (563 km).

My son Lance and I.

442978604_6747ce9ab7_b.jpg

442996208_b5556a1dfe_b.jpg

443019474_94451c7c1b_b.jpg

443088657_316b8f8519_b.jpg

443078124_cd0ae09c88_b.jpg
My Photo Playground:
www.flickr.com/photos/serrator

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Very cool. The only time I've gone real spelunking was at Mammoth. I still have the hard hat! Nice job capturing the immense size of those caverns.
    Chris
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Very nice! I've only been in caves ones upstate NY, they're sooo cool and chilling. Thank you for sharing.clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2007
    Serrator wrote:
    Hey Guys,
    Got back yesterday from our annual Mammoth Cave National Park restoration work weekend. Cavers from several grotto clubs come each year to volunteer their time to help with odd jobs within the cave. This year we did some basic trail maintenance work and I had the opportunity to sneak in a few pics here and there.
    Currently the total surveyed portions of Mammoth Cave are at around 350miles (563 km).
    My son Lance and I.

Wow you sure get around don't you :D
    Those Caves look awesome, yet still there is that sense of danger when I look at them.

There is just someone about Caves that screams explore me.
    Almost looks like some kind of underground Theatre.
    Great shots Serrator clap.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Awesome place been there many times
    Can be a real tough place to photograph

Fred
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Wow amazing place wonderful photos in tough conditions
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Thanks guys for checking out the shots. My son and I had a great time and we are always amazed at the size of this system.

On our travel back from the cave we came across this 350' tall monument. It is in the middle of Kentucky in the small town of Fairview I believe. It is just like the Washington monument only smaller.

443125715_a0b37d7bdd_b.jpg

443125729_6a9ae35a07_b.jpg
    My Photo Playground:
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Serrator wrote:
    Thanks guys for checking out the shots. My son and I had a great time and we are always amazed at the size of this system.

On our travel back from the cave we came across this 350' tall monument. It is in the middle of Kentucky in the small town of Fairview I believe. It is just like the Washington monument only smaller.

Wow, I lived in Kentucky about 10 years and never saw that. Cool.
    Chris
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Very cool. I've wanted to be able to have the time to setup some decent shots in a cave. On the normal cave tours they have you moving through so fast there's really not much of a chance. The couple times I've tried they don't even allow the use of a tripod. In other words, lucky you thumb.gif
  • SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Phil U. wrote:
    Very cool. I've wanted to be able to have the time to setup some decent shots in a cave. On the normal cave tours they have you moving through so fast there's really not much of a chance. The couple times I've tried they don't even allow the use of a tripod. In other words, lucky you thumb.gif

Phil, you are exactly right. This is one of the reasons why I help out with the work, which is the ability to bring in the gear and use it. Normal tours of the cave do not allow even bags and such let alone a tripod. Still though I didn't have as much time as I would have liked...but do we photographers ever have enough time??:D
    My Photo Playground: