Options

Well...Hello

photoflectionsphotoflections Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited February 2, 2005 in The Big Picture
Hi...I'm the newbie! Wow has smugmug changed in the last couple months since I cancelled my account. Glad I came back!

My name is LuAnn, I'm a stay at home mom, army wife, and photographer of the amateur variety...working to upgrade. My weapon of choice is the Canon Digital Rebel. At current I have the kit lens (I'm one of the odd balls that likes it), I have a canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III, and the best lens for the least cash, the canon 50mm f/1.8, which I'd recommend to anyone tight on money wanting a great prime lens. Tuesday, the Lens Gods in their big brown truck will deliver a 17-40mm L, a 70-200mm f/4 L, and a sigma 105mm macro. I can't wait til Tuesday. I messed up my math, and shorted myself $400 for me 100-400, so the 70-200 is the make up for my mistake lens. Oh...and I got a 2x for it too.

I live in Alaska, and that is what got me into photography to start with. Winter is set in here, but in a matter of months I'll be out shooting my little heart out. Now...I just need to find the approprite thread to ask my smugmug questions in...
LuAnn
Fairbanks, Alaska:wave
Photoflections

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Welcome back!
    I recon Alaska is very picturesque..:-)
    Will be waiting for your pikchas:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Very exciting, I dont want to wait,....

Fire up them sled dogs and photograph us a bear or somethin.... thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Very exciting, I dont want to wait,....

Fire up them sled dogs and photograph us a bear or somethin.... thumb.gif
    I would love to get a bear...but after a close call with an angry moose last summer, I'm a tad leary of the woodsrolleyes1.gif !! Not to mention they're hibernating...and according to AK law...apparently it's unlawful to wake a sleeping bear and photograph itne_nau.gif
    LuAnn
    Photoflections
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I recon Alaska is very picturesque..:-)
    Will be waiting for your pikchas:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Picturesque certainly covers it. I can't wait til spring thaw so I can shoot something other than snow...lol
    LuAnn
    Photoflections
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Welcome.....I cant wait to see some great things from Alaska. I hope to get to visit there some day!

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    Welcome.....I cant wait to see some great things from Alaska. I hope to get to visit there some day!

Tim
    Thanks Tim! I can't wait to get some shots put up. Too bad I have to wait on the print pricing...danged technicalities.
    LuAnn
    Photoflections
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Dont break the law,just take some pix of him sleeping:D
    Welcome.
    Waiting on your images.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Hi, I am ginger. Tomorrow, Wed, a big brown truck is bringing me a 20D. Sure wish I could get your lenses together with the 20D here in beautiful sunny, lol, was grey today, southeast coast of South Carolina.

one would think I would be happy with the 20D. No, every time I see someone's good photo, I want their lens (es).

Can't wait to see your photos and lust after your lenses, too.
    I sold my Rebel Friday, have nothing right now. The kit lens, the 28-135 IS and the 75-300. I am seriously trying to get a better long lens. But I want all the others, too.

ginger

Oh, I have the Canon 50mm 1.8, but it sat in the bottom of my bag and got all the sand from the beach.

Anyone know how to get that out? WD 40 work?
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

Oh, I have the Canon 50mm 1.8, but it sat in the bottom of my bag and got all the sand from the beach.

I'm pretty sure the 50 1.8's can be split in two, and easily put back together, so if someone knows how you split it, I'm sure it's an easy clean. BTW, to the OP, I've been messign around with my dReb, looks like AF should work with the 2x on your 70-200 as long as it's sunny 16 conditions.
    Richard
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited February 2, 2005
    Huh?
    I would love to get a bear...and according to AK law...apparently it's unlawful to wake a sleeping bear and photograph itne_nau.gif
    They actually need a law to keep people from waking a sleeping bear to get a photo? headscratch.gif Anyone that gets eaten or mauled for such a stupid lack of judgement should also not be allowed to own a camera.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hi, I am ginger. Tomorrow, Wed, a big brown truck is bringing me a 20D. Sure wish I could get your lenses together with the 20D here in beautiful sunny, lol, was grey today, southeast coast of South Carolina.

one would think I would be happy with the 20D. No, every time I see someone's good photo, I want their lens (es).

Can't wait to see your photos and lust after your lenses, too.
    I sold my Rebel Friday, have nothing right now. The kit lens, the 28-135 IS and the 75-300. I am seriously trying to get a better long lens. But I want all the others, too.

ginger

Well so far I tested the 105mm and got what I think is a nice result. These things are intimidating. Fair warning...if you get an L lens, the barrel doesn't move when you zoom. I thought I broke my 17-40mm already...then I realized it's all internal...lol oh...the picture

15193689-S.jpg
    Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG EX at f/5 and 1/125 ISO 100.
    LuAnn
    Photoflections
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the 50 1.8's can be split in two, and easily put back together, so if someone knows how you split it, I'm sure it's an easy clean. BTW, to the OP, I've been messign around with my dReb, looks like AF should work with the 2x on your 70-200 as long as it's sunny 16 conditions.
    Richard
    If it's not 50 below tomorrow, I'm going to try it out with a distant treetop from my deck. I tried one today, and it seemed to be equally sharp with and without the 2x, which is a good sign in my book.
    LuAnn
    Photoflections
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    They actually need a law to keep people from waking a sleeping bear to get a photo? headscratch.gif Anyone that gets eaten or mauled for such a stupid lack of judgement should also not be allowed to own a camera.
    Didn't you hear about the guy that "lived among" the grizzlies up here? Him and his girlfriend were both killed at Katmai Natl Park. He had many discovery channel specials. Nuts I tell ya.
    LuAnn
    Photoflections
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    I'd love to see some winter shots from your neck of the woods.

Especially an Aurora. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au