Is lens softness correctable?

TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
edited April 6, 2007 in Cameras
I see many mentions of "soft copy" and "sharp copy" when people talk glass here. Aside from having a "soft copy" replaced by the store or manufacturer, can lens softness be corrected by repairing a lens? I imagine this is a question with widely varied answers, based on manufacturer and high-end versus low-end glass, if it is possible at all.
Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 3, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    I see many mentions of "soft copy" and "sharp copy" when people talk glass here. Aside from having a "soft copy" replaced by the store or manufacturer, can lens softness be corrected by repairing a lens? I imagine this is a question with widely varied answers, based on manufacturer and high-end versus low-end glass, if it is possible at all.

I cannot trust a single interpretation of image "softness" since that can mean many different things:

Out-of-Focus (OOF)
    Back-Focus
    Front-Focus
    slight Blur, either camera shake or motion blur, or both
    shallow DOF, misinterpreted as soft overall
    axial sharpness vs off-axis sharpness
    axial alignment or misalignment
    field curvature
    Chroma Aberration (CA) which can make an image look soft
    Scratched elements
    Dirty elements
    Auto-focus lens/camera coordination
    Mirror-slap

All of these can contribute to, or detract from, image acuity.

Of these, only the Front-Focus, Back-Focus, scratched elements, dirty elements and axial alignment/misalignment "may" be adjustable or correctable by servicing the lens. In some cases, you may also have to send the camera body in as well, so that camera and body are calibrated together.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 4, 2007
    Good comments Ziggy!

Very often, people write about "back focus" issues and when you look at
    the focus points, it's not back focus but poor focus that's correctable
    through changes in technique.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    This makes sense. Thanks for the input.
    Terrence

My photos

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    I can only share my experience with a "soft copy" lens.

I had to send in a Tamron 28-75/2.8 to Tamron for repair due
    to a damaged front element.

When I got the lens back (they replaced the front element as
    well as some plastic components of the zoom tubus) it was
    suddenly horrible soft on my Canon 10D.

Tamron told me that they calibrate the optical elements of their
    lenses on some sort of a "standard bench" that simulates the
    distance of the lens to the sensor plane of a Camera.
    Furthermore they explained that the reason for the sudden
    softness is probably due to the fact that every single camera has
    its own physical characterists and that the position of the sensor
    plane in my camera might not exactly be the same as the one
    simulated in their optical bench.

Long story short, they offered me to calibrate the lens on my Camera.
    After 7 days later I got the combo back, and what can I say? The lens
    is as sharper as it has ever been. I truely was stunned.

I would suggest that if you buy a lens, test it side to side with a 2nd
    copy in the store. This way you can rule out really soft lenses, and
    if you're still not happy with yours you can ask them to calibrate it on
    your camera. It costs a bit, but its really worth it. I doubt that lens
    to lens variation is due to variation in quality of the optical elements
    of the lens. In my opinion tts far more likely that the lens isn't calibrated
    100% for your camera.

just my cents
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I have a silly amount of glass, most of it bought used. And I have never had a single issue with "softness."

While I'm sure there are a few bad lenses out there, this obsession with getting a "sharp" copy escapes me. It's out of all proportion to the actual incidence of bad glass, IMHO.

As was noted above, I think bad technique by inexperienced photographers who tend to panic and blame the glass, is responsible for 99% of the "soft lens" posts that we read online.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 4, 2007
    I totally agree with you Sid. In my case, it is definitely me to blame for the technical and creative failings of my pictures. I was/am more interested in the fact/truth behind this issue so I can understand it better and hopefully pass that knowledge along when I see a "softie" post.
    Terrence

My photos

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Good comments Ziggy!

Yep...every time i get back focus i think.." man i have to learn to be quicker & focus properly & not blame my equipment for me screwing up "
  • brambo76brambo76 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Good comments Ziggy!

I am interested in improving my focus skills... do you have any pointers to improve it? A few things I know..
    1. Can't expect to focus on something with low contrast - need to pick a point that has enough details so that AF sensor can pick it up

Anything else? I know about motion blur and other things that are related to motion.. I think I understand DOF issue as well. I seem to get different results with different lenses. I am thinking of sending them altogether to Canon for adjustments.
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Long story short, they offered me to calibrate the lens on my Camera.
    After 7 days later I got the combo back, and what can I say? The lens
    is as sharper as it has ever been. I truely was stunned.
    I would like to have this experience! My 16-35mm f/2.8 L came back from Canon repair looking like new, but definitely soft. I had planned to do a site-by-side test against my 24-70mm f/2.8 L just to prove it to myself. I suppose I'll post that comparison here. It's nice to know that there's a potential for resolution. Has anyone every sent their camera + lens into Canon for calibration?
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I have a silly amount of glass, most of it bought used. And I have never had a single issue with "softness."

While I'm sure there are a few bad lenses out there, this obsession with getting a "sharp" copy escapes me. It's out of all proportion to the actual incidence of bad glass, IMHO.

As was noted above, I think bad technique by inexperienced photographers who tend to panic and blame the glass, is responsible for 99% of the "soft lens" posts that we read online.

The phrase "soft owners" has been used more than once at FM to describe this phenomenon. I completely agree with you--this whole "soft lens" thing is ridiculous & I suspect there are a whole lot of new OCD DSLR owners with nothing better to do than blame gear for their lack of earth-shattering images. ne_nau.gif I guess it's more fun to bitch about gear than actually go outside and USE it.

Oopsie, we have discovered that buying a 1Ds Mk II and every "L" lens in the catalog plus a $2k tripod setup doesn't automatically make you Ansel Adams or a Weston, or pick your favorite master...the gear must be defective! rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 5, 2007
    The phrase "soft owners" has been used more than once at FM to describe this phenomenon. I completely agree with you--this whole "soft lens" thing is ridiculous & I suspect there are a whole lot of new OCD DSLR owners with nothing better to do than blame gear for their lack of earth-shattering images. ne_nau.gif I guess it's more fun to bitch about gear than actually go outside and USE it.

Oopsie, we have discovered that buying a 1Ds Mk II and every "L" lens in the catalog plus a $2k tripod setup doesn't automatically make you Ansel Adams or a Weston, or pick your favorite master...the gear must be defective! rolleyes1.gif
    I have to object a little as I feel myself being put into the same category
    as the people who cant operate their cameras. The feel that my lens was
    soft after repair was subjective until I decided to put the lens to a test
    on a Tripod with MLU and Cable Relase. Of course I shot a subject I've
    shot before (same light, distance to subject etc.). Now you're saying I
    should've just been happy and continue shooting? I dont agree I wasn't
    able to deliver the same technical quality to customers as I did before.
    And why I should be happy with a lower performance after repair is also
    a bit beyond me. Lens performance is covered in the repair warranty btw.

I agree that there are many "is the 70-200/2.8 IS" really worth it or
    should i keep my kit lens?" people around. But that is no reason to
    throw them into the same pot as those who are a bit more rational
    about the matter.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited April 5, 2007

Why does this need to degenerate to name calling and character assassination? headscratch.gif
    Terrence

My photos

edited April 5, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    Why does this need to degenerate to name calling and character assassination? headscratch.gif
    G'day terrence...i honestly cant see any name calling or character assassination going on. What people are trying to convey here & thats to everyone that reads d/grin is that often people have preconcieved ideas of what a lens will & wont do.

Give a good photographer a bad lens & they will return you great shots all the time because they will look for subject matter in a photo over high end quality everyday.

I read Nat Geo from cover to cover & frankly some of the shots in there are technically terrible but its the subject & the story that support the photo to make it great.
    edited April 5, 2007
    brambo76 wrote:
    I am interested in improving my focus skills... do you have any pointers to improve it?

The best (and probably most boring answer for me anyway) i could offer is to simply use your gear like the sun is not coming up tomorrow. Nothing will drive you harder than missed opportunity. I work on the theory that by the time my shutter is worn out then it will be well & trully time for the next model. I didnt ever do this with my film SLR's which is why i am so excited about modern DSLR's.

Its familiarity with your equipment that you need & that cannot come from anywhere but time shooting with your gear.
    edited April 5, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Give a good photographer a bad lens & they will return you great shots all the time because they will look for subject matter in a photo over high end quality everyday.

That can very well be the mother of all answers concerning quality of
    photographic equipment.

I don't think this thread is about being able to make better pictures with
    a sharper lens. Its about what kind of sharpness that can be expected from
    a lens and the sample to sample variations. Which has nothing todo with
    how good the pictures from that lens will look.
    ― Edward Weston
    edited April 5, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    That can very well be the mother of all answers concerning quality of
    photographic equipment.

I don't think this thread is about being able to make better pictures with
    a sharper lens. Its about what kind of sharpness that can be expected from
    a lens and the sample to sample variations. Which has nothing todo with
    how good the pictures from that lens will look.
    yeah ...im well known for getting of track.

It sort of led me off track in that it does not really matter to me about the finer points of the lens as im too interested running into position to get the shot im imagining.
    edited April 5, 2007
    gus wrote:
    G'day terrence...i honestly cant see any name calling or character assassination going on. What people are trying to convey here & thats to everyone that reads d/grin is that often people have preconcieved ideas of what a lens will & wont do.

I was reacting to the tone of claudermilk's comments. It's easy for a thread to get out of hand, so please don't let my response be the one that tips the cart.

FWIW, my original post was purely out of interest for what is a correctable manufacturing or overuse defect versus an incorrectable defect that could cause softness. As I enter a new phase of lens buying, I am interested in knowing what can be fixed versus what can't, as a way to evaluate and protect my investment should a true lens defect be found. I am also extremely ineterested in how lenses are made and the manufacturing details, because I'm fascinated by complicated things.
    Terrence

My photos

edited April 6, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    I was reacting to the tone of claudermilk's comments. It's easy for a thread to get out of hand, so please don't let my response be the one that tips the cart.

FWIW, my original post was purely out of interest for what is a correctable manufacturing or overuse defect versus an incorrectable defect that could cause softness. As I enter a new phase of lens buying, I am interested in knowing what can be fixed versus what can't, as a way to evaluate and protect my investment should a true lens defect be found. I am also extremely ineterested in how lenses are made and the manufacturing details, because I'm fascinated by complicated things.

cool. Have you seen this thread then ?
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Have you seen this thread then ?

That was cool.thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 6, 2007
    brambo76 wrote:
    I am interested in improving my focus skills... do you have any pointers to improve it? A few things I know..
    1. Can't expect to focus on something with low contrast - need to pick a point that has enough details so that AF sensor can pick it up

Anything else? I know about motion blur and other things that are related to motion.. I think I understand DOF issue as well. I seem to get different results with different lenses. I am thinking of sending them altogether to Canon for adjustments.

Well, contrast always helps with focus as does good lighting. If you are
    shooting where this is a problem, try and pre-focus. If you are shooting
    with multiple focus points, try getting down to one and then learn how
    to change the focus points while shooting. Before that, you need to know
    which focus points offer the best accuracy. Read the manual for this info.

Your camera has a couple of focus modes. AI servo means that until
    you open the shutter, the lens continues to focus. If you are shooting
    wildlife and pan across a blade of grass as you press the shutter, you
    may find poor focus. Single shot is great for shooting static subjects
    but not so good for objects in motion. The mode you use depends on
    what you're shooting. Also note that multiple focus points can also
    lead to bad focus--well, not bad just the wrong point.

Lastly, I have set my camera so that one of the back buttons is used for
    focus. What this allows me to do is focus with one button and snap with
    the shutter release. It does take some getting used to but the benefit is
    that I can separate focus from shutter release.

As I say, it's well worth the effort to learn how to adjust focus points
    and to adapt it to your situation. Working with special situations, like
    low light requires practice too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I have to object a little as I feel myself being put into the same category
    as the people who cant operate their cameras. The feel that my lens was
    soft after repair was subjective until I decided to put the lens to a test
    on a Tripod with MLU and Cable Relase. Of course I shot a subject I've
    shot before (same light, distance to subject etc.). Now you're saying I
    should've just been happy and continue shooting? I dont agree I wasn't
    able to deliver the same technical quality to customers as I did before.
    And why I should be happy with a lower performance after repair is also
    a bit beyond me. Lens performance is covered in the repair warranty btw.

I agree that there are many "is the 70-200/2.8 IS" really worth it or
    should i keep my kit lens?" people around. But that is no reason to
    throw them into the same pot as those who are a bit more rational
    about the matter.

My apologies. I can see how that post could have been read that way. I was commenting in general, not specifically towards you.

Actually the crowd around here is far better about this than elsewhere. Guess I was just getting a little grumpy yesterday. I'll rein in the fingers more in the future. :whip
    edited April 6, 2007
    gus wrote:
    cool. Have you seen this thread then ?

I did. I was mesmerized and watched it a few times in a row. That's my dream lens and it was really cool to see it put together.
    Terrence

My photos