LPS #3 Irregular? Eat Bran!

BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited April 8, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Don't worry, my title has nothing to do with my photo. Just random sick humor.

Anyways, this is my 1st of ____ attempts at this challenge. Irregular gave me many ideas, here's one I tested out.

Broken Pattern

dsc1118yl7.jpg
Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Brett,
    Brett wrote:
    Don't worry, my title has nothing to do with my photo. Just random sick humor.

Anyways, this is my 1st of ____ attempts at this challenge. Irregular gave me many ideas, here's one I tested out.

Broken Pattern

Nice shot! thumb.gif

Funny, I was thinking in the same direction (broken pattern, I mean, not the bulbs:-) rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    nice concept, i would maybe bump the contrast or exposure up a bit imo.thumb.gif
    edited April 3, 2007
    binghott wrote:
    nice concept, i would maybe bump the contrast or exposure up a bit imo.thumb.gif

Yeah.. that, and
    1) even it up deal.gif
    2) maybe colorize the broken one? headscratch.gif
  • BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Quick responces...lurkers! Thanks for the comments though.

Nik, even them up as in straighten out the bulbs?

Edits:

dgrin800my9.jpg

contrastupcroptg8.jpg
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Whole bulbs definitely look better to me. I like the increased contrast in your edit. Cool shot!
    Chris
    edited April 3, 2007
    Brett,
    Brett wrote:
    Quick responces...lurkers!
    Big Brother Is Watching! lol3.gif
    Brett wrote:
    Nik, even them up as in straighten out the bulbs?
    Yeah, the image was slightly tilted CW, I think you've fixed it now thumb.gif

Good job on boosting contrast!
    I like the non-cropped version better...
    edited April 3, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Big Brother Is Watching! lol3.gif

Haha don't get me started on "Big Brother".

Also fixed a few small things. Probably won't notice but I did.
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Yeah I have a feeling there will be alot of broken patterns, I sketched a couple of ideas while i was *cough* working.

I like the photo, but with numerous broken pattern ideas floating about I know my concern is going to be the one that pops and graps attention over the others?
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    That is a really cool shot. Great idea well executed. I rather like the cropped version. Just a bit more subtle than the uncropped - not so in your face and keeps the photo from feeling static. The original would make a great stock photo (and I mean that as a compliment, btw). Well, heck, both versions would.

Virginia

Email
    edited April 3, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    That is a really cool shot. Great idea well executed. I rather like the cropped version. Just a bit more subtle than the uncropped - not so in your face and keeps the photo from feeling static. The original would make a great stock photo (and I mean that as a compliment, btw). Well, heck, both versions would.

Virginia

I know exatcly what you mean. I guess its the minimalistic approach that I tend to have with photography that makes me think alot of my work could be stock photos.

I also like the cropped one because its more subtle....yet I like the round circle of lights in the uncropped oneeek7.gif.
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I like them alot, in all honesty though, I don't know whether I like the cropped or un-cropped better... :) great job thumb.gif
  • dancing-hedgehogdancing-hedgehog Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I like both versions, but the cropped one seems to emphsize the "irregular", broken light bulb. My eyes are riveted to the circle of bulbs in the square version, and my brain is compensating for the broken one.
    Tammy :):
  • BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I think that the un-cropped one are really showing the irregular theme that we are looking for in this contest. Who knows if in the cropped one any of the bulb is cracked or broken even so slightly?
    That's the way I see it anyway.

BPne_nau.gif
    :photo
    edited April 4, 2007
    Makes sense to me.
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Hi,

What a great idea. I also thought of this general idea for irregular, but am not so clever as to come up with lightbulbs. :D or break one. I think the uncropped version is better for the challenge. Just a nit, can the bulbs be a bit lighter?

Jill
    Jill
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Great, great idea well executed! I like the uncropped one but I wonder how it would look square in a bigger canvas - a little more black around the sides so the center of the circle could be in the center of a square. I can definitely see it up there on this sites' masthead!