Options

If you were asked for cover photos ?

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited April 8, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello

I am stuck in problem that is. Editor of an International Mag from Nepal contacted me for photos of Balochistn (state of Pakistan or Danger zone) after looking at my smugmug gallery well I showed him which I have He need photo for Cover of mag:huh and some for story.

Should I give them for free if he selected my photos ? Or charge them if charge then how much? I don’t think so they will pay afterall if they have to pay why not to Getty images or AFP etc?

What’s best way to ask for payment I am really shy when asking someone for money even if it is mine.:rolleyes
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Awais, you're an excellent photographer in a unique environment. People will pay for your images.

How much should you charge? I have no idea... I'm sure others will respond. There have been many threads on the subject, though.
    Chris
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    I've only sold one shot, but sold it twice, both times for the same amount: $150.

The editor won't be embarassed that you've asked for payment: they run a business.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2007
    Thanks Chris and Sid for valuable input !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Compensated
    Magazines are use to paying for images - most anyway.
    I have a local startup magazine/publication that I have been giving some photos to as their mag is purley based on donated photos - small publication - thought it would be a decent way to get some of my work in print and I am requesting a cover photo.

Had another larger magazine contact me about using one of my photos - I todl them them I would give them the 1st one for free, but I would like to continue working with them and work out some sort of compensation. Editor flat out told me, if we use your photos we will pay you for it - Not reaced and $$ amounts yet....but they expect to pay for photos - find a tactfull or business like way to approach them about compensation - they should not balk at your request.

Michael
    www.MLKimages.com
    Hello

I am stuck in problem that is. Editor of an International Mag from Nepal contacted me for photos of Balochistn (state of Pakistan or Danger zone) after looking at my smugmug gallery well I showed him which I have He need photo for Cover of mageek7.gif and some for story.

Should I give them for free if he selected my photos ? Or charge them if charge then how much? I don’t think so they will pay afterall if they have to pay why not to Getty images or AFP etc?

What’s best way to ask for payment I am really shy when asking someone for money even if it is mine.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    RacetogRacetog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Cover photo $500.00 USD, at least. Story, depending on number of words, $200.00 USD. Use this site to qoute photo rates: http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

Don't give photos away for free unless you have something to gain. In this case, you might. That way you can charge the next mag more. "I've already been in "whatever" mag" so this is the going rate.

I've thought about going to your part of the world to get shots but the risk is just not worth it...
    Hello

I am stuck in problem that is. Editor of an International Mag from Nepal contacted me for photos of Balochistn (state of Pakistan or Danger zone) after looking at my smugmug gallery well I showed him which I have He need photo for Cover of mageek7.gif and some for story.

What’s best way to ask for payment I am really shy when asking someone for money even if it is mine.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Thanks again for detailed reply and great link !

Now i hope they contact me . I wonder what is rivalry situation here
    Yeah here is a lot risk but even for Pakistani citizens rolleyes1.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Awais just something that happened to me anyway. I shot an event for an organisation i belong to (i didnt charge for it). I needed to do it to get a better portfolio as the event had some big names. I said i will do it for free to improve my portfolio. I sent them some of my past work & they agreed.

I did the job & got some nice photos.

I was asked & donated about 6 photos to a magazine that is associated with this organisation & i got a magazine cover & several photos on page 3.

Since that day i have applied to cover other events (non related) & they have asked if i have been published before so i mentioned this magazine & immediately i got a media pass. I didnt think the magazine got a lot of circulation but maybe i just needed to be able to say i have been published before.

So at the end of the day ..that free job has opened other doors for me.Its a bit like starting a business for me...its a long up hill road but it can get a snowball effect & get easier once you get some publication recognition. This could led to future sales.

Im not saying to give your photos away for free but if needed then use the media to your advantage ..use them as a stepping stone to go higher.

Just some thoughts mate. Good luck !
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Great idea Gus.

My Gallery
  • Options
    RacetogRacetog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    After looking at your images... If I were in your shoes, contact any U.S. based newspaper and you will sell a lot of photos.

Be safe,
    Mike
    Racetog wrote:
    Cover photo $500.00 USD, at least. Story, depending on number of words, $200.00 USD. Use this site to qoute photo rates: http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

Don't give photos away for free unless you have something to gain. In this case, you might. That way you can charge the next mag more. "I've already been in "whatever" mag" so this is the going rate.

I've thought about going to your part of the world to get shots but the risk is just not worth it...
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Racetog wrote:

That's a really useful site! I wish I had known about it when one of my photos was used as the cover for an annual report. :(: At the time there was a thread here that was sort of helpful, but no one was able to give me a timely answer to my question regarding what price range to stick with or how to handle the situation. The web searches I did revealed very little.

Live and learn...I can see that I charged them nowhere near the going rate. But that won't happen again. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    That's a really useful site! I wish I had known about it when one of my photos was used as the cover for an annual report. :(: At the time there was a thread here that was sort of helpful, but no one was able to give me a timely answer to my question regarding what price range to stick with or how to handle the situation. The web searches I did revealed very little.

Live and learn...I can see that I charged them nowhere near the going rate. But that won't happen again. mwink.gif

Isn't internet great mwink.gif

My Gallery