Options

Macro Exercises #1 DOF, Aperture and diffraction

2»

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    That's why you can't see it. As magnification increases the effective Fstop also increases. Brian could give you specifics, but I want to say that shooting life size at F11 is like shooting a scenic at F22. Going past life size causes the effective Fstop to climb even higher...

Thank you for this comment.:D
    Soon, I hope to be able to make some experiments with f/22 with a landscape photography... Just to convince myself. As a matter of fact I am already convinced, but I will see with my own eyes.:D
    Cheers. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    stevehappstevehapp Registered Users Posts: 635 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Thank you very much for the tutorial. I did it and here are the results.

bolt-exercise.jpg

And here is image that I did of my own choosing. Its a bud from a tree. I dont know which. I chose f/8 because that will allow me to have a decent shutter speed, almost.. tee hee..
    f/8, 1/6 second, iso200, same lighting as above.

ex1_5471.jpg

I did exercise 2 as well but i will post my results from that in the appropriate place. once again, thank you very much lord v...
    clap.gif
    Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6L, sigma 105mm Macro.
    Blog + Twitter
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    stevehapp wrote:
    Thank you very much for the tutorial. I did it and here are the results.

bolt-exercise.jpg

And here is image that I did of my own choosing. Its a bud from a tree. I dont know which. I chose f/8 because that will allow me to have a decent shutter speed, almost.. tee hee..
    f/8, 1/6 second, iso200, same lighting as above.

ex1_5471.jpg

I did exercise 2 as well but i will post my results from that in the appropriate place. once again, thank you very much lord v...
    clap.gif

Thanks again Brian for taking up your time I am still learning from the last tutorials you gave me.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    ilandiland Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2010
    May I ask why use Manual Focus ? my lens seems to focus quite well on AF.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    iland wrote:
    May I ask why use Manual Focus ? my lens seems to focus quite well on AF.
    Thanks

AF may or may not function as you get close to 1:1 shooting due to the light levels. The main problem however is caused by the thin DOF in macro where even if AF does work it may well focus on the wrong part of the subject. When shooting at higher magnifications than 1:1 the light levels and DOF are even lower.
    Shooting at magnifcations lower than say 0.5:1 with AF is probably fine but macro lenses tend not too have very fast AF.
    As a more general comment, I'm a bit of a luddite with cameras and like to have as much control as I can when taking photos. I actually use MF all the time even when not taking macro photos- then I know any focus problems are down to me. I do however use my P&S camera in full auto :)
    Brian v.
  • Options
    ilandiland Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2010
    AF may or may not function as you get close to 1:1 shooting due to the light levels. The main problem however is caused by the thin DOF in macro where even if AF does work it may well focus on the wrong part of the subject. When shooting at higher magnifications than 1:1 the light levels and DOF are even lower.
    Shooting at magnifcations lower than say 0.5:1 with AF is probably fine but macro lenses tend not too have very fast AF.
    As a more general comment, I'm a bit of a luddite with cameras and like to have as much control as I can when taking photos. I actually use MF all the time even when not taking macro photos- then I know any focus problems are down to me. I do however use my P&S camera in full auto :)
    Brian v.

Thanks ! It's just a little difficult to spot if the subject is in focus when I shoot in the sun. I guess I'll try to get over it :)
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    iland wrote:
    Thanks ! It's just a little difficult to spot if the subject is in focus when I shoot in the sun. I guess I'll try to get over it :)

It's worth trying MF for a while and see how you get on. You obviously need to make sure the camera viewfinder diopter is calibrated for your eye to get the clearest view in the viewfinder. However as I often say , there are no rules in photography- just what you need to do to get the shots you want.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    ggeorge11ggeorge11 Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    I just got my new Taron 90mm macro. This was my 1st attempt. I just laid on the ground and shot. I know I need to work on my DOF and need to be using a tripod. Using a macro is way too much fun!!!

24512_1312293604809_1154716447_30790097_194995_n.jpg24512_1312293724812_1154716447_30790100_97917_n.jpg24512_1313086584633_1154716447_30791374_2355145_n.jpg

24512_1312293484806_1154716447_30790094_99195_n.jpg
    All Pain should lead to learning, but not all learning needs to be painful!

My Smugmug site- http://keithgeorge.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2010
    LOvely captures with the new lens- esp like #1

Brian V.
  • Options
    DeeBugDeeBug Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    Lord V? Brian?,

Forgive my ignorance lol,iv'e just joined the forum tonite and would just like to say a big thank you for the lesson,will defo give it a go,looking forward to hopefully learning lots and improving my photography

Cheers Davy
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2013
    DeeBug wrote: »
    Lord V? Brian?,

Forgive my ignorance lol,iv'e just joined the forum tonite and would just like to say a big thank you for the lesson,will defo give it a go,looking forward to hopefully learning lots and improving my photography

Cheers Davy

Welcome to the macro forum ! :):
    Brian v.