Opinion wanted: Youth Sports Products

John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited April 13, 2007 in Sports
I've developed two custom products (working on more) that I'm going to be offering to parents for the spring soccer season.

First, is the custom magazine cover. At 8"x10", it has the player's name and team in the headlines. I made one for the coach's daughter and had many "Oooh!"s and "Ahhh!"s over it, from coach and wife, as well as others.

mag_sample_sm.jpg

(Example features my daughter)

Second, is the custom "sports ticket". A 7" tall, 2.5" wide sports ticket customized with player's name and jersey number, as well as having date and opponent (with player's team in BIG BOLD) of the match featured on the ticket.

7ticket_sample_sm.jpg

(Once again, example features my daughter.)

Opinions? Likes? Dislikes?

One of the things I'm planning on doing is offering a "Extended Family Pack" special: three magazine covers (parents and both grandparents), 8 tickets and then throw in eight wallets free. (2"x3" or 2.5"x3.5" super-wallets... which do you think?)

John
John Patrick
Canon shooter

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    I got some success with the magazine cover idea in 2006 with motocross. I think I needed a flashier cover design and better marketing. But magazine covers and flashy collages seem to do well.

I've never seen the ticket idea before. I've seen trading cards but never a ticket. How do you get those made? Are they one side or two?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    I got some success with the magazine cover idea in 2006 with motocross. I think I needed a flashier cover design and better marketing. But magazine covers and flashy collages seem to do well.

Collages will come later on, I'm sure. I think 16x20 is the best size for them, but framing/mounting may be a problem for some customers.
    I've never seen the ticket idea before. I've seen trading cards but never a ticket. How do you get those made? Are they one side or two?

One sided, and I designed that ticket. All done by Photoshop actions. I crop, hit a button, and it makes one ticket. Edit the text, hit another button, it panelizes (two on a 5x7) and finalizes. Ready to upload to your lab of choice.

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I really like the ticket idea. Something differentthumb.gif
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited April 5, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    I really like the ticket idea. Something differentthumb.gif

Thanks. I'm trying to come up with different (not necessarily unique) items that are reasonably priced (both for me to make and for them to buy) to help drive sales. As these are action shots and not T&I shots, I can give them something that the people doing the T&I can't give them.

Any opinions on the text?

Or any other ideas?

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    John,

I honestly wouldn't change a thing. The tickets are perfect the way they are, the type style is right on, same with the magazine cover. I have considered doing simalar items, my posters 20 x 30 and 24 x 30 have been a huge success, but like you I am always looking for more ways to drive sales up. These look very nice.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Excellent - these are great. I hope you sell heaps!

ann
  • sanford tullissanford tullis Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    The tickets are very cool, I've never seen anyone doing anything like them. As you know the Holy Grail of kid's sports is getting the shots no one else is getting, and offering new products. Great Idea! Good Luck
    Capture memories one image at a time
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I like them both .

I made a few of the covers for racing & soccer last year. They do seemed to be liked. Yours is crisp,simple & clean. good job. the ticket is different , I like it, it's interesting.
    Good luck.

Hey...Your just down the road from me, small world.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Good Stuff John. On the Ticket I might use Sec.- One, Row- One, Seat- One, as that may have more meaning or significance than your random numbers. Also I'd switch copyright with Name and Number and slightly modify the layout so the name and number have enough room to be bold. Then on Price .... maybe use "Cost" and instead of $34.00 have "Priceless" or something similar.

Just some thoughts which may or may not work for you ... I like your creativity.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Hi -Love the sports ticket idea as well...
    Good idea on the Row, Section , Seat - maybe change the numbers
    to reflect the league/team/uniform #
    good job ! - jr
    edited April 13, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Good Stuff John. On the Ticket I might use Sec.- One, Row- One, Seat- One, as that may have more meaning or significance than your random numbers. Also I'd switch copyright with Name and Number and slightly modify the layout so the name and number have enough room to be bold. Then on Price .... maybe use "Cost" and instead of $34.00 have "Priceless" or something similar.

Just some thoughts which may or may not work for you ... I like your creativity.

Gary

Thanks for the critique. After thought, I agree with switching the name/# and copyright.

7ticket_sample_2_sm.jpg

However, I'm sticking with the price thing right now, as I think the "Priceless" thing is just a bit too cheesy for my taste (but then again, it's the PARENTS' taste that matters!).

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
    edited April 13, 2007
    jerryr wrote:
    Hi -Love the sports ticket idea as well...
    Good idea on the Row, Section , Seat - maybe change the numbers
    to reflect the league/team/uniform #
    good job ! - jr

I've thought about that, but it's just too much to keep track of; I have the name, teams, date, and jersey # right now (although most of that is on the "order form" for the parents to fill out).

However, I will allow customization of the seat/row/section if the parents want. Probably even at no charge (GASP!).

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter