Service Manual for The Bigma.

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited April 4, 2007 in Cameras
Afternoon One and All,
I have a bit a dust btwn the first and second elements on my Bigma. Looking for the service manual that would show the correct way to remove the outer glass so I can remove the dust and put it back together with out disturbing the rest of the elements. Sigma wants a minimum of $175 to clean it, which seems kind of expensive. They will not sell me the manual since I am not an authorized repair center; however, I am an A/V Tech, and am familiar with service manuals and schematic diagrams. Any help is greatly appreciated :bow
Thank you and have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Wouldnt that throw the alignment of the lenses out of whack ? I would send it in to them. deal.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    cwphotos wrote:
    Wouldnt that throw the alignment of the lenses out of whack ? I would send it in to them. deal.gif

Hello,
    I wouldn't think removing just the outer element would misalign the remaining elements, but I could be wrong. Lets ( hopefully ) get a few more responses on this issue as well then. Thanks for your input :D
    Have a good day,
    Jim...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 4, 2007
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Hello,
    I wouldn't think removing just the outer element would misalign the remaining elements, but I could be wrong. Lets ( hopefully ) get a few more responses on this issue as well then. Thanks for your input :D
    Have a good day,
    Jim...

Actually, depending on the lens, removing the front element "can" cause the lens to go out of alignment, and a scratch can cause a lens considerable permanent damage.

A $900+ lens is not a good subject for practice, and the $175 is not too much for the assurance of quality work. If you can't justify that charge, the dust is probably not worth messing with.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Actually, depending on the lens, removing the front element "can" cause the lens to go out of alignment, and a scratch can cause a lens considerable permanent damage.

A $900+ lens is not a good subject for practice, and the $175 is not too much for the assurance of quality work. If you can't justify that charge, the dust is probably not worth messing with.
    Hey Ziggy,
    Thanks for the info :D . Wasn't sure if that was the case. In the past, I have removed the screw ring holding down the front element of 3 or 4 different primes ( Contax ) and successfully removed dust, then screw the ring back in place with no trouble. Sounds like a different scenario here. Well what to do now ??? Thank you again for the advice :D
    Have a good evening,
    Jim...