Trying to learn to take action shots...some critique would be appreciated

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited April 18, 2007 in Sports
Trying to learn the art of taking action shots so took the opportunity yesterday at the skatepark to take some photos of the kids skateboarding. Would really like some hard critique on these if you have the time as I will take what CC is given and apply it the next time I try these types of shots. Used the 70-200 2.8 IS on these with the f stop around 4 (I think) on all of them. These are the better shots and the others were completely out of focus. Used AI Servo and shot in AV. Most of the kids backs were to the sun so their faces were dark in many. Tried to lighten up using the shadow/highlight but didn't want to take it too far as it did not look natural.

Thanks for any tips you are willing to share. Gotta get better at this:huh 141000627-M.jpg

My son learning to skate

141000943-M.jpg

141000897-M.jpg

141000827-M.jpg

141007144-M.jpg

I wish I wouldn't have cut his hand off but this crop was tight in the camera
Shane
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry about that. Meant to put under 'sports'. How can it be moved?

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry about that. Meant to put under 'sports'. How can it be moved?

Shane
    Done.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 4, 2007
    The most obvious thing missing in almost all of your shots is the faces. We tend to relate to people by looking at their faces, for the most part. So we need to see them.

Shallow depth of field helps separate your subject from their background, so if you can do it, it helps make the shot more memorable.

Motion blur might look very cool with skateboarders. A face in focus, but the body a blur of motion, would be very cool.

I've also seen shots near dawn or dusk with flash, where the skateboarder is lit up against a darkening sky, looks cool.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited April 4, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Done.

Thank you so much. thumb.gif Wasn't paying attention to what thread I was in. Also thanks for the feedback. Will watch for the faces the next time I go. Love their expressions while doing their tricks and I need to capture that more.

Getting ready to order a flash so once I get it will try your suggestion of taking pics of them at dusk, etc.

Appreciate the feedback.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    a wise man once told me, "Face, Number, ball. Thats what a good shot contains"

Since skateboarding has no ball or number, face and board would cover it!

Try shooting from down in the bowl, oppsite the sun, or at dusk.Since skateboarders tend to look down, getting your lens below them will bring more of thier face into the shot. Also, shooting upward will give the shots more "air" since you will perceve more elevation with more sky in the background.

Shoot RAW, f/2.8, and shoot hundreds of shots at a time. When I shoot a football game, I get about 300-400 shots and I am only limited by the number of CF cards I have. If I had 10 gb of memory, I would shoot that much :D

BTW, I really like shot #2.
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
    edited April 4, 2007
    Great tips you guys have shared. Really appreciate it.

The next time I go I will try to shoot down in the bowl or lets say I will get down in the bowl and shoot them up above. Unfortunately this day many of the kids that were there were not doing the bowl therefore alot of my shots were of them coming up the smaller ramps, etc. I can always try the groundheadscratch.gif Don't mind getting down on that level and try to shoot up. Also I am going to watch what side of the skatepark I am on so that I can get better shots of their face without all the shadows. I love this and these types of shots and my son loves to go to the skatepark so I am sure the opportunities will be there.

Thanks for the compliment on #2. As far as action shots do you think the focus is acceptable?

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited April 4, 2007
    I like hesaias' suggestion of a silhouette, that would be nice.

Regarding getting low, in the docmentary about the Dogtown Boys, you see a shooter with his camera level with the lip of the pool. He got a lot of great shots there. So I don't know that you need to go into the bowl, but keep your camera at its lip.
    Sid.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    A few more tips:
    1. The sweetspot on the 70 - 200 f2.8 is f5.6 (thanks! Mark M). If you are shooting in good light with a reasonably uncluttered background, use f5.6 - you will get more shots in focus.
    e.g.:
    http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/1712483#111126717

2. Use custom function 4 - 3 and focus with the star button - this actually is what I have to do for indoor soccer shots to keep the exposure/wb similar shot to shot. However, this will allow you to make better use of the AI servo and track the player in focus, shoot as the action heats up.

3. As far as including faces, the tip I was given was 'face, contact, action, ball' .
    4. The second tip I found really useful was 'shoot tight, crop thighter'.

ann
    http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com
    edited April 4, 2007
    Thanks Ann. I need to get there on a day where the more experienced skaters are doing the bowls. This park is next to a rec center so you have alot of amateur skaters and not ones that do the really cool tricks. Once in awhile you will catch them there.

I do use the * to focus. Have been doing this for over a year and really like it. I personally think my in focus shots improved when I switched to this method.

Will try 5.6 the next time. I remember reading about a sweet spot on the 70-200 but couldn't remember what it was.

Thanks again for all your great tips. Will post some shots from my next round to see if I improve at all.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • sanford tullissanford tullis Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    if you can, set your aprature a little more open f5 or so untill you are quicker with your focusing on a moving target. This will give you more room on your focal plane in case the target changes direction or angle at the last minute. If you have to set up on a blind ramp focus on the lip of the ramp then pick up the rider as he passes that point. Also watch your angles so the subject does not leave your focal plane as fast. Also if you can try some rodeo shots, it is great pratice, you are not to sure where the action is going. Good work though; like I was told when I started SHOOT, SHOOT, and SHOOT some MORE!!!!!!wings.gif Don't be afraid to try fill flash
    You can see some motocross at my site that might help

www.sanfordtullis.smugmug.com
    Capture memories one image at a time
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    Most of the kids backs were to the sun so their faces were dark in many. Tried to lighten up using the shadow/highlight but didn't want to take it too far as it did not look natural.
    This is what a flash unit is for. :) Seriously, get your flash out, put it on ETTL. Experiment and adjust your FEL to your tastes.

Good points already about faces, about getting lower, etc. Just don't get hit. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited April 5, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    This is what a flash unit is for. :) Seriously, get your flash out, put it on ETTL. Experiment and adjust your FEL to your tastes.

Good points already about faces, about getting lower, etc. Just don't get hit. :)

I don't have a flash but getting ready to order one. Everything I have done to this point has been natural light photography. Better get off my butt and get it ordered.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    2,3, and 4 are really great shots, nice job =).
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
    edited April 5, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    2,3, and 4 are really great shots, nice job =).

Thanks a bunch Mike for the compliment.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • kariekarie Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Rear-curtain flash
    SitterS wrote:
    Thank you so much. thumb.gif Wasn't paying attention to what thread I was in. Also thanks for the feedback. Will watch for the faces the next time I go. Love their expressions while doing their tricks and I need to capture that more.

Getting ready to order a flash so once I get it will try your suggestion of taking pics of them at dusk, etc.

Appreciate the feedback.

Shane

Hi Shane. Have you tried the rear curtain sync flash? I have not worked a lot with it yet, but plan to. good way to get motion blur with the ambient light, then freeze your subject at the end of the flash. I think it would be fun and would look good in these action shots!

Love your work...Karie
    edited April 18, 2007
    Karie,
    I don't even have a flash as of yet. Everything I do is with natural light. My birthday is this Friday and I think my husband is getting me the 580 EX. I know nothing about flash so I will have to google "rear curtain sync flash" and read up. Always so much to learn with photography. That is what makes it so much funthumb.gif Thanks for the tip.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8