LPS#3 side comment

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 6, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's really interesting psychologically that almost everybody's (including yours truly) first take/idea was towards Irregular rather than Picturesque, and even at that almost everybody started with a "broken pattern" (again, same here).
It would be great to see how the themes develop. :D
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Exactly Nik
    I've refrained from shooting along those ideas as it's entirely too obvious and making myself stretch if you will in thinking. I envision many picturesque photos but have to wait a bit for that attempt. It will be interesting to see these themes develop for certain.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ericgtrericgtr Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I can see where this originated with the current pictures and it appears that the odd "thing" out is going to be predominant concept. Since all of this is subject to interpretation by the individual tastes of the judges I think it's all fair, and fun.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's really interesting psychologically that almost everybody's (including yours truly) first take/idea was towards Irregular rather than Picturesque, and even at that almost everybody started with a "broken pattern" (again, same here).
    I also find that interesting. I would have sworn that the initial attempts would have leaned toward the picturesque. It will indeed, be fun to watch how this develops.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I actually thought of picturesque, but realized there are probably a lot of other people closer to great vistas than I am. I didn't think I could compete. So I set my mind on irregular.

I think picturesque can take a bit of planning (perfect location, right time, etc), where irregular feels more spontaneous to me. So the irregulars show up first.
    Chris
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I actually thought of picturesque, but realized there are probably a lot of other people closer to great vistas than I am. I didn't think I could compete. So I set my mind on irregular.

I think picturesque can take a bit of planning (perfect location, right time, etc), where irregular feels more spontaneous to me. So the irregulars show up first.

I don't think picturesque has to mean a beautiful vista. It just needs to be pleasing to the eye. Yes?

Bear
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

This time of year in NE Ohio, picturesque is a little hard to do. We went from 80 degrees and sunny yesterday to 34 degrees and snowy today. You gotta loverolleyes1.gif it? Only around here can you get all 4 seasons in one day. Most of my stuff lately has been dark and moody. Everything is still dead around here.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    behr655 wrote:
    I don't think picturesque has to mean a beautiful vista. It just needs to be pleasing to the eye. Yes?

Bear

Well, I was a bit stumbled by the seeming orthogonality of the LPS3 themes at first, so I did a little wikiing and googling. I end up with a almost perfect rationale (for myself, that is): French garden vs English garden. First means perfect geometrical layout, manicured lawns, bushes shaped as some animals, etc. English garden is anything but geometrical. Paths going in some winding mode, bushes growing wild, etc.
    My search also came with a picturesque described as "picture worthy". Remember, even in XIX century there was no such thing as 10mp digicam in every household. Making a picture (paint, canvas, fur brushes, etc.) required a long time and a lot of efforts. So one obviously would like to use those efforts on something that was, indeed, picture worthy...:-)
    edited April 4, 2007
    Keith,
    Khaos wrote:
    This time of year in NE Ohio, picturesque is a little hard to do. We went from 80 degrees and sunny yesterday to 34 degrees and snowy today. You gotta loverolleyes1.gif it? Only around here can you get all 4 seasons in one day. Most of my stuff lately has been dark and moody. Everything is still dead around here.

I'd call this weather pattern highly irregular. Did you take a shot at it? mwink.gif

No castles or gothic churches here either, mate. Ocean, yes, but how many sunsets one can bear...mwink.gif
    Oh well, still 10 more days...
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I totally agree with you,
    ChrisJ wrote:

and the same expectations as you. I feel somewhat limited where I lived for landscapes on the level of picturesque (especially this time of year). However, on that note, as an oil painter I'm of the opinion that if things are "picturesque", they are worthy of a painting, which is more than just landscapes. Even portraits can be picturesque. Which makes this challenge all the more challenging for me, trying to decide what angle to go after. Unfortunately, I feel I have never taken a single photo worthy of a painting, I usually use several when doing a painting.

Yup, will be interesting to see the variety of entries.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • RistyzRistyz Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I actually did quite a bit if research on 'picturesque' which turned out to be a popular movement in the 18th century in both art and architecture (landscaping included)

I didn't stop at reading the wikipedia version but also read up on William Gilpin and Claude Lorraine (Gellee) There seems to be more to Pictureasue than just apretty picture!

I encourage others to check out the Wikipedia version and this site as well. I did discover that googling 'picturesque' only made it harder to sift through the more generic uses of the word. I had to switch to picturesque movement, which brought up lots of architectural links and picturesque style, which gave me more art related links. Here's on of 'em for ease of finding.

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/artist03.html

I had fun discovering the word's roots, that's for sure!
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Behr655 wrote:
    True, but it's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of the word. In my head, I kept confusing picturesque and photogenic, which definitely has a different meaning.
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Unfortunately, I feel I have never taken a single photo worthy of a painting, I usually use several when doing a painting.
    I know what you mean... but if I could take a quick trip to Bryce Canyon right now, I think I could find some excellent picturesque opportunities. I could stare at Sunrise/Sunset there for hours, too bad the light only lasts minutes.
    Chris
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Actually Picturesque is not difficult as an idea. Shoot a lovely landscape, it will fit the topic.
    The trick is that your landscape should be better than the others.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Actually Picturesque is not difficult as an idea. Shoot a lovely landscape, it will fit the topic.
    The trick is that your landscape should be better than the others.

Exactly! Of course that is true also of irregular. With picturesque, though, you have to find your picturesque scene, see the existing subject matter in a creative way (instead of creating the subject matter from a creative idea), photograph it in the best light using all of your technical expertise to create the mood you want. And even if you do all of the above, the result has to be a drop dead gorgeous photograph that isn't trite. Daunting.

Virginia

Email
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    With picturesque, though, you have to find your picturesque scene, see the existing subject matter in a creative way (instead of creating the subject matter from a creative idea), photograph it in the best light using all of your technical expertise to create the mood you want. And even if you do all of the above, the result has to be a drop dead gorgeous photograph that isn't trite. Daunting.

Virginia

Yep. That's it in a nutshell.

From its inception the picturesque movement has faced the crticism of being trite. That, I think, is a testament both to how easy it is to attempt the picturesque and to how difficult it is to do well.
    edited April 5, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Yep. That's it in a nutshell.

From its inception the picturesque movement has faced the crticism of being trite. That, I think, is a testament both to how easy it is to attempt the picturesque and to how difficult it is to do well.

I learned a new word! clap.gif
    trite(trimacr.gift)
    adj. trit·er, trit·est
    1. Lacking power to evoke interest through overuse or repetition; hackneyed.
    2. Archaic Frayed or worn out by use.

On the subject: yes, I agree, it's damn easy to srew it up and damn hard to make it original and new...
    Everybody here has seen too many vistas ne_nau.gif
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one googling the words and finding out that Picturesque was a movement... It was interesting learning that - and something I should probably have know.

As someone who lives in a breathtaking, amazing place and takes a LOT of photos of it, it's actually hard to get what I consider to be a "picturesque" photo. You know, one that stands above all other photos taken by the amazing photographers here.

But on the other side, I have another problem... I have several ideas for "irregular" because of events over the next few days, but they will invariably be picturesque in the background - which will make them even MORE irregular. But that isn't my aim - to be picturesque. I do not want to go for a dual theme at all, but the ideas I have may cause it to happen as a byproduct. It's getting it to work well that'll be the challenge....
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, I was a bit stumbled by the seeming orthogonality of the LPS3 themes at first, so I did a little wikiing and googling.

Nik,

Please don't explain what this means.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited April 5, 2007
    David,
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nik,

Please don't explain what this means.

Since you've asked...mwink.gif

Orthogonal = independent, unrelated.
    Changing one does not affect another.
    Like color and weight, or speed and scent.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Since you've asked...mwink.gif

Orthogonal = independent, unrelated.
    Changing one does not affect another.
    Like color and weight, or speed and scent.

Nik, seriously, I'm begging you to eschew obfuscations.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I think I am making ‘being wrong’ into an art form at this stage.
    My first thought was “sure everybody is going to go for picturesque” so I’ll try to come up with something irregular. My first interpretation of irregular was also ‘the odd one out’. Had a look around me (we live in the country) - no good. Went to the City, walked around for 3 hours - no good. Even messed up a couple of nice picture opportunities, because I was concentrating so hard on the theme.
    But I finally did get an idea in my head. Just have to find my target.

I don’t think picturesque is my style. I only ever shot one picture that I would call that. No Photoshop or anything. Just cropped.
    http://www.iolfree.ie/~robert./dgrin/DSCF0003a_cso.jpg
    Although shooting land and seascapes is my favourite, I like rough and bold. I can’t get away from the idea of picturesque being sweet and dreamy.
    Robert
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Meanings
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nik, seriously, I'm begging you to eschew obfuscations.

But,...
    Doesn't the mere act of eschewing
    {Pardon my allergies}

Obfuscate?
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    I think I am making ‘being wrong’ into an art form at this stage.
    My first thought was “sure everybody is going to go for picturesque” so I’ll try to come up with something irregular. My first interpretation of irregular was also ‘the odd one out’. Had a look around me (we live in the country) - no good. Went to the City, walked around for 3 hours - no good. Even messed up a couple of nice picture opportunities, because I was concentrating so hard on the theme.
    But I finally did get an idea in my head. Just have to find my target.

I don’t think picturesque is my style. I only ever shot one picture that I would call that. No Photoshop or anything. Just cropped.
    http://www.iolfree.ie/~robert./dgrin/DSCF0003a_cso.jpg
    Although shooting land and seascapes is my favourite, I like rough and bold. I can’t get away from the idea of picturesque being sweet and dreamy.

That's pretty picturesque if you ask me. Minus that pole in the middle of course.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited April 6, 2007
    That's pretty picturesque if you ask me. Minus that pole in the middle of course.

I agree. Minus pole, less blowout in the skies, add some fog..
    Reshoot in the morning?
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I actually like that pole, but I do agree about the sky, of course.
    A retake wouldn’t be too attractive with the black plastic rapped bails these days.
    Robert