What do you think?

121082450-L-2.jpg

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I like this one even with the blur...

What do you think?

Sorry man...
    I've been to several Class VI+ rivers (it's not the typo, it's the ones than can kill you even if you took all the precautions; in fact, one of them almost succeded:-) in my life... And during my last whitewater years I was a dedicated cameraman for the team (in addition to being a rower/leader:-)
    It's just a blurry shot... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry man...
    I've been to several Class VI+ rivers (it's not the typo, it's the ones than can kill you even if you took all the precautions; in fact, one of them almost succeded:-) in my life... And during my last whitewater years I was a dedicated cameraman for the team (in addition to being a rower/leader:-)
    It's just a blurry shot... ne_nau.gif

Class VI+, and that would be what river?
    edited April 5, 2007
    Class VI+, and that would be what river?

Most of them are ones that in the former USSR, now independent countries, on the border with Afganistan. I doubt you'd recognize the names (I would not if I weren't there myself:-), but here is a few: Zeravshan (Matcha), Yagnob, Chatkal..

Officially we used to have up to VI until mid-80s, then VI became "non-categorized" due to the high lethality rate. The aforementioned rivers always had some rather long parts that were always above those catgories...
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Can't say that I like it either. There needs to be something sharp on the kayaker and it's all blurred. Plus the light is very flat and not doing you any favors either.

These are tough shots. You can take a 100 exposures and get one good one. Just keep trying.thumb.gif
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I think the composure is good. But I think something needs to be in focus here, either the water or the kayaker. From my POV it seems I'm looking through someone else's glasses, which isn't very comfortable.
    Chris
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif , Sorry, I have to agree with Nikolai. Too me it is just a blurry picture. Maybe if the kayak was in focus and the water blurred like in panning it would be much better. Keep trying, we all learn from our mistakes.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Cool, but kayaker is too blurry.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • druhldruhl Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Make no mistake, mine is not an educated eye.

Having that understood, my first impression as the photo scrolled into view was a sense of motion and that definitely attracted my attention. The longer I looked at the photo the more I wished something popped in it. Maybe what I'm trying to say is the photo grabbed my attention but it didn't quite hold it.

Thanks for the chance to have a look.

Donn
    "The following statement is true. The preceding statement was false." George Carlin
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    NBF either... IMHO it would be sweet if it was panned w/ the kayaker clear... or at least some of the boat clear. That just looks like a plain ol blurry photo.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 6, 2007
    The thing that would make this work to find something, like the face and
    worked to keep that in focus.

The idea is good but this one doesn't work for me.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I pretty much agree.
    I had tried to pan and if you look really hard you'll see that the power stroke hand and some of the arm are in focus.

My slow shutter speed whitewater photos are still under development.

This is an ok photo from the same trip. I like the composition but to get good definition in the chaotic water the color saturation had to go too high.
    :(

I haven't been taking my slr on my Winter trips so I don't have new stuff. But things are warming up. :)

Sawyer

102194276-L-3.jpg
    edited April 6, 2007
    Sawyer,
    This is an ok photo from the same trip. I like the composition but to get good definition in the chaotic water the color saturation had to go too high.
    :(

Much better picture in all senses! thumb.gif

I found that in most cases positioning yourself downstream from the rapids but on the same or slightly elevated level and using a telephoto lens gives you the best feeling. Not always possible, naturally, but if it is, it's 90% winner.