edited April 6, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Gotta get it out of my system.. :D

141279329-L.jpg

It sucks, I know, but I had to give it a try it just to get moving on...:wink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• vkg1979vkg1979 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    now thats one tempting attempt :D but i'm afraid the empty cups look a little odd if i can say..some tea or coffee would not really look bad in them to bring out our red wine even more..i like the shot!!
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    To me, it sings "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong..." more than irregular. :D

I realize the wine and Disney cups are the contrast, but only one Minnie is really clearly shown. (and your white surface ends near the top of the frame, but you probably already know that).
    Chris
  • vkg1979vkg1979 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    well this is one of the meanings dictionary gives for 'irregular'
    ir·reg·u·lar premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif /ɪˈrɛgthinsp.pngthinsp.pnglər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-reg-yuh-ler] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective 1.without symmetry, even shape, formal arrangement, etc.: an irregular pattern.so i guess it fits
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Guys,
    Thank you for the feedback...

Something like this was my Very First Gut Reaction when I read the themes. rolleyes1.gif
    Since that time many good or excellent "broken pattern' posts were made, so it kinda dumped it for me, but it kept popping in my head and blocking me from the other ideas.
    So, I decided to give it a shot.
    Folded 5-in-1 reflector (in its transluscent mode) and a pair of worklights gave me a decent lighting. I initially planned to use the shot glasses as the "fillers" but when I reached for them in the cupboard I found these papers cups and decided that it would create even stronger contrast.

Anyways.. The shot is cr4ppy, I have no illusions about it. But I honestly tried it, so at least I can move on:-)
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    The shot gave me quite a chuckle. But do I see cork in the wine?? I think you should either reshoot with a better wine or maybe you could just clone out the bits of cork with your superb CS3 skills. wings.gif

Seriously, though, you know you can do much, much better. The competition is already really hot and as a two time winner already bowdown.gif you have a reputation to uphold. thumb.gif

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Virginia

Email
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Hi Nik. Seeing this shot I could make a few suggestions. White Styrofoam cups so they are completely white and sterile. More cups and placed rim touching rim, no gaps. Perhaps angle the rows a bit? Find a way to get some light into the wine so it has the burgundy glow we all know and love, to me the wine looks like Coca Cola in the current shot. Don't place the wine glass symmetrically, choose a spot that isn't right in the centre. Perhaps a slightly smaller wine glass?

This is all assuming you want to pursue this idea further. Or to tease you if you don't.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited April 5, 2007
    Virginia, Salazar.. thank you!

Yeah, I can actually see a little more merit to this scenario than I saw earlier. I will probably play some more with a better light and better arrangements. deal.gif

Need.. more.. cups...mwink.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Virginia, Salazar.. thank you!

Yeah, I can actually see a little more merit to this scenario than I saw earlier. I will probably play some more with a better light and better arrangements. deal.gif

Need.. more.. cups...mwink.gif

I know you are capbable of doing a better job of this idea. As is, the shot is pretty flat. The wine glass is your center of interest but it looks unappealing.

Here are some ideas that might help:

Use champangne. Champange will help in three ways: you can see the cups through it, the bubbles will add visual interest, and I think champagne will liven up the story a bit more by putting a adult party glass in a collection of kid party glasses.

Put something in the cups. White grape juice or apple juice might be the best choices--something that matches the color of the champange. Filling the cups will add more similarity to the glass and the cups which I think will contribute to the surprise of the difference. Also, currently inside of the cups get somewhat lost in the white table top. Filling the cups will give you some contrast.

Play with the light. Getting the light right on both the paper cups and the glass will be tough because of their very different properties, but I think getting the light right is key to turning this into a winning shot.
    edited April 5, 2007
    LiquidAir,
    Thank you, mate, good suggestions, appreciate your time!

I was thinking of the champagne initially, but for this quick-and-dirty test I went for an open bottle of Chianti :-)
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Although this shot has come interesting qualities, I think the viewer has too much to consider...full & empty, tall & short, and elegant & casual. Also , I found myself looking at the paper cups to see which Disney characters were on them rolleyes1.gif. I like the idea of it though.

Jill
    Jill
    edited April 5, 2007
    Jill
    JillG wrote:
    Although this shot has come interesting qualities, I think the viewer has too much to consider...full & empty, tall & short, and elegant & casual. Also , I found myself looking at the paper cups to see which Disney characters were on them rolleyes1.gif. I like the idea of it though.

Jill

Thank you for your feedback! thumb.gif

BTW, did you know here in SoCal we have a very nice FM radio station carrying your name (92.7 Jill FM:-)
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you, mate, good suggestions, appreciate your time!

I was thinking of the champagne initially, but for this quick-and-dirty test I went for an open bottle of Chianti :-)

I hear ya. Most of my martini shots were taken with water. Only toward the end when I had a very practiced technique did I use some cheap vodka because I could freeze that and have it still pour. Sadly the frozen vodka didn't look nearly as lively as the water when I poured it.

For this shot there is no real reason to use actual champangne. Try sparking water with some apple or white grape juice mixed in for color.
    edited April 5, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I hear ya. Most of my martini shots were taken with water. Only toward the end when I had a very practiced technique did I use some cheap vodka because I could freeze that and have it still pour. Sadly the frozen vodka didn't look nearly as lively as the water when I poured it.

In fact it did, I think. I could almost feel the viscosity :-)
    I keep some of my vodkas in the freezer, and they are substantially more viscous than those that are simply in the frige. deal.gif
    LiquidAir wrote:
    For this shot there is no real reason to use actual champangne. Try sparking water with some apple or white grape juice mixed in for color.

True, but.. this also means I won't be able to reward myself after each series of shots:-) 1drink.gifmwink.gif
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    How about filling the cups with champagne and the wine glass with water.
    Robert
    edited April 5, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    How about filling the cups with champagne and the wine glass with water.

You meant - with vodka, right? mwink.gif
  • BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Since that time many good or excellent "broken pattern' posts were made, so it kinda dumped it for me, but it kept popping in my head and blocking me from the other ideas.

Nik, don't let is discourage you, just do what you wanted to with broken pattern type shots and one up the others, simple as that:D. Maybe not, but honestly what's stopping you from reaching the top?
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal
    edited April 5, 2007
    Brett wrote:
    Nik, don't let is discourage you, just do what you wanted to with broken pattern type shots and one up the others, simple as that:D. Maybe not, but honestly what's stopping you from reaching the top?

True, true... thumb.gif
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    You meant - with vodka, right? mwink.gif
    Vodka? What’s irregular about vodka?headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Robert
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    Vodka? What’s irregular about vodka?headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif

Hehe...

There's a Russian saying though that goes "beer without vodka is a waste of money".

I bet it's also the same for all other drinks, so if you are going to have champa's, then you need some vodka as well.

Rgeards,

Peter:D:D:D
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Hehe...

There's a Russian saying though that goes "beer without vodka is a waste of money".

I bet it's also the same for all other drinks, so if you are going to have champa's, then you need some vodka as well.

Rgeards,

Peter:D:D:D

There is another Russian quote that's applicable "Only Aristocrats and Degenerates drink champagne in the morning" (it sound better in Russian :D)

So Nik, you gotta make sure you're doing the shoot in the evening. Unless of course you fall into one of those 2 categories =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for your feedback! thumb.gif

BTW, did you know here in SoCal we have a very nice FM radio station carrying your name (92.7 Jill FM:-)

No, I had no idea, thanks for the smile.rolleyes1.gif
    Jill
    Jill