sharing private family photos

jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
edited April 7, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have been trying different ways to share photos with various family member goups (my cousins, my wife's cousins on her mom side, my wife's cousins on her dad side, my friends, etc.).

Goals I would like to achive:
1. galleries are not visable to the public (at least not casually)
2. galleries do not require passwords, because too many people forget them too often and they keep asking me for it
3. easy of navigation between galleries of shared photos

I've tried SharedGroups (a seperate SharedGroup for each family group) ... it works, but the problem is navigation once they go into a particular Gallery. They cannot easily get back to the SharedGroup page. Is there a way to do this?

I just tried the "hide category" hack (Javascript tweak), using a seperate "hidden category" for each famly group, this seems to solve the navigation problem once they goto a particular Gallery, they can go back to the "private category"; however, if I wanted to share the same set of photos between 2 different groups, I must now have the same photos uploaded to two different galleries (each under their particular "private category"). Is there a way to do this without uploading the photos twice into two galleries?

If I can only get a combination of the above ... then it would be really peachy. I'm sure others are looking for something similar as well.

Suggestions? Thanks.

[NOTE: if I posted this in the wrong forum, please move it.]
Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
FacebookFlickrSmugMug
SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
(use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)

Comments

• SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    jchin wrote:
    I have been trying different ways to share photos with various family member goups (my cousins, my wife's cousins on her mom side, my wife's cousins on her dad side, my friends, etc.).

Goals I would like to achive:
    1. galleries are not visable to the public (at least not casually)
    2. galleries do not require passwords, because too many people forget them too often and they keep asking me for it
    3. easy of navigation between galleries of shared photos

I've tried SharedGroups (a seperate SharedGroup for each family group) ... it works, but the problem is navigation once they go into a particular Gallery. They cannot easily get back to the SharedGroup page. Is there a way to do this?

I just tried the "hide category" hack (Javascript tweak), using a seperate "hidden category" for each famly group, this seems to solve the navigation problem once they goto a particular Gallery, they can go back to the "private category"; however, if I wanted to share the same set of photos between 2 different groups, I must now have the same photos uploaded to two different galleries (each under their particular "private category"). Is there a way to do this without uploading the photos twice into two galleries?

If I can only get a combination of the above ... then it would be really peachy. I'm sure others are looking for something similar as well.

Suggestions? Thanks.

[NOTE: if I posted this in the wrong forum, please move it.]

Use Navbar or another menu system to navigate to the share pages. THat is how my entire site is setup. All galleries are private and I use the sharegroups and menus to share.
  • TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    You could create a separate gallery for each private group, and have each of these galleries serve as a "jumping off point" to different galleries. I use a journal style and then in the description next to a picture I hyperlink to a private (but not password protected) gallery.

This would allow you to customize each "jump off" gallery to fit the particular private group - and different privat groups could then link to the same galleries, avoiding multiple uploads.

This solution assumes that each picture in a given private, non-passworded gallery is appropriate for each private group that links to it.
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Trasmc wrote:
    You could create a separate gallery for each private group, and have each of these galleries serve as a "jumping off point" to different galleries. I use a journal style and then in the description next to a picture I hyperlink to a private (but not password protected) gallery.

This would allow you to customize each "jump off" gallery to fit the particular private group - and different privat groups could then link to the same galleries, avoiding multiple uploads.

This solution assumes that each picture in a given private, non-passworded gallery is appropriate for each private group that links to it.

Would you mind giving me an example (in steps to set it up) so I know more of what you're talking about? Or give me an example within your current setup so I can visually see what you mean. Thanks.
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    edited April 5, 2007
    SPK64 wrote:
    Use Navbar or another menu system to navigate to the share pages. THat is how my entire site is setup. All galleries are private and I use the sharegroups and menus to share.

Can you provide a linke to "Navbar" or be more specific as to how you do it? I'm not understanding you. eek7.gif

Thanks.
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    jchin wrote:
    Can you provide a linke to "Navbar" or be more specific as to how you do it? I'm not understanding you. eek7.gif

Thanks.

Check out my site via the link in my signature. It is all private galleries and sharegroups driven and accessed by the menu bar at the top of the page.
    This menu bar is simalar to yours except using the navbar code.

Check out the customization section.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52812
  • TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I created an example gallery of what I am talking about right here:

http://brickstreetphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/2671851

The gallery linked above is private but not password protected. A password could be added without a problem. You would email the link to the desired party, and they would then have access to other linked galleries. Click above to see what I mean.
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
    edited April 7, 2007
    Trasmc wrote:
    I created an example gallery of what I am talking about right here:

http://brickstreetphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/2671851

The gallery linked above is private but not password protected. A password could be added without a problem. You would email the link to the desired party, and they would then have access to other linked galleries. Click above to see what I mean.

That might be do able. I like that fact that it launches another browser window. Something to think about. Thanks.
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug