Options

LPS #3 - Under Water

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited April 7, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Any thoughts on this photo I took today as a candidate for LPS #3?

141382422-L.jpg

Thanks! Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Virginia,
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Any thoughts on this photo I took today as a candidate for LPS #3?

Thanks! Virginia

Interesting... thumb.gif
    One question, though: which one is it? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I assume you are shooting for 'irregular'? It's an interesting pic. but the haze is a little distracting. Perhaps upping the contrast might help ? ne_nau.gif

Cheers, Sunita
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Hmmm i actually think this has a hint of both themes. I dunno about the others, but I'm certainly interested in the circumstances of this photo =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I like the shot, but I don't think it communicates either of the themes well enough. The plant certainly is irregular but the photo does not say "irregular" to me any more strongly than any other shot of a plant.
    Hmmm i actually think this has a hint of both themes. I dunno about the others, but I'm certainly interested in the circumstances of this photo =c)

It looks to me like the shot was taken in an aquarium.
  • Options
    RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Hi, my guess is you went for picturesque.
    In my eyes, there is too much decay in there for that theme and I can’t see much of the other category in it either. Sorry.
    Robert
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    I agree that the photo doesn't hit either theme hard enough. In my view it is "irregular" because the plant is underwater, which is unusual for something that looks like a bromeliad (I have to go back and check to see exactly what it is), and because it is naturally non-symmetrical. As to picturesque, I agree with Robert, one thinks that at first, but then realizes that it shows too much decay. Overall, I see it as an abstract more than a representational picture. If it were a drop dead photo I would maybe play with it a bit more and go for it, but it's not, so I won't. :D

PyroPrints, the picture was taken at the Botanical School garden in the Jardin des Plantes in Paris. The plant is under water in one of the many small ponds found throughout the botanical garden. Here is the original (after PS conversion from RAW but before any further processing).

141543286-L.jpg

Thanks all of you for taking the time to comment. iloveyou.gif Now it's back to the drawing board for me.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I love what you did with that plant. The before and after is unreal.
    I dont think that this will get you very far in the contest though.
    It looks like people are waiting for the last couple days to submit their entries. It is some sort of a mind game, but what do I know.
    How many more days do I have left???? ha,ha,ha

BP

PS:comment va Paris?:bread
    :photo
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    That was a very nice conversion from the original. Looking forward to seeing your next attempt!
    Chris
  • Options
    JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Hi, I like this. Your conversion is well done. It has a mystery about it. I'm not sure it really says irregular though.

Jill
    Jill
  • Options
    RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    It’s incredible what amount of information can be extracted from a raw file.
    Robert
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Thanks Chris and Jill for your kind comments. I was rather pleased (and suprised) by the way the picture came out.

Robert, you are right. With few exceptions, RAW is the only way to go. thumb.gif

Now, back to shooting.

Virginia

Email