Options

Little people

bonniejobonniejo Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited April 7, 2007 in People
Here are a couple of pictures I was hoping to get C&C on.I have been trying out the color swap mode on my camera so any tips would be welcome.:wink
141393657-M.jpg

141415859-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Honestly, while these are cute shots, the way they are colored/not colored bothers me. When you have something in the background colorized and the people are B&W, I find that it feels too flat to me and makes me feel like the people are less important.

I also like to do this in post processing using PS or Lightroom so that I have more control of it.

I think the first shot would look really cool as a grainy B&W with the way the little girl is sitting!

Cute kids!
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2007
    Honestly, while these are cute shots, the way they are colored/not colored bothers me. When you have something in the background colorized and the people are B&W, I find that it feels too flat to me and makes me feel like the people are less important.

I also like to do this in post processing using PS or Lightroom so that I have more control of it.

I think the first shot would look really cool as a grainy B&W with the way the little girl is sitting!

Cute kids!

Thanks. Here it is in B&W. Doesn't look right to me though.
    141421336-M.jpg
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I agree that the colorizing on this does not work.

Also, on the B&W version has lost a lot of shadows, especially in the background. Here's my go on that. It's not great, but I think it gives you the idea.

141462984-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2007
    Ugh, I didn't think about it... When you ahve a B&W and try to manipulate it, it's much harder since you can't really manipulate the individual colors later on.... that's one of the big reasons I don't really like doing B&W out of my camera. It's hard to get what you really want...

I tried in Lightroom, but couldn't get it to do anything good... Still a cute a picture, but I think you'll have problems getting the contrast and interest that you'd need... :( I should say that RodgersDA did a better job than I did! :)
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    Ugh, I didn't think about it... When you ahve a B&W and try to manipulate it, it's much harder since you can't really manipulate the individual colors later on.... that's one of the big reasons I don't really like doing B&W out of my camera. It's hard to get what you really want...

I tried in Lightroom, but couldn't get it to do anything good... Still a cute a picture, but I think you'll have problems getting the contrast and interest that you'd need... :( I should say that RodgersDA did a better job than I did! :)

Well I'll just keep taking pictures in color and then try messing with them in PS....... I'm still pretty new to the digital camers so I have been trying out new things. There are a lot of settings on my Canon PowerShot A540 that I have no idea what they are for....time to break out the manual on it and do some homework hehe. Thanks for the tips!!:D
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    bonniejo wrote:
    Well I'll just keep taking pictures in color and then try messing with them in PS....... I'm still pretty new to the digital camers so I have been trying out new things. There are a lot of settings on my Canon PowerShot A540 that I have no idea what they are for....time to break out the manual on it and do some homework hehe. Thanks for the tips!!:D

Playing and trying new things is the way to learn! that's how I did. Laughing.gif! It may not work well, but you know that now and can try something else to see if that works for you!!!

As a side note, definitely try out Lightroom if you can. It's worth the $$ and has allowed me a lot more creativity and consistancy than I ever expect. I get MUCH better B&W images from it, too! You can even do some odd types of selective coloring - much like your images - if you want to play. Of course PS does a million things, too, and they work very well together!

Congrats on the new camera! Keep posting and playing! :D
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    The selective coloring doesn't work in these pictures...I think just leave it the way it was intended - leave the color in. JMHO.headscratch.gif