Another n00b looking for advice...

2»

Comments

• TreehuggerTreehugger Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Thanks, I'll definetly look into it. I'm slightly hesitant in buying used cameras - no guarantee that they've been treated well before. So if it take a few more bucks in buying a solid camera, I think I'm willing to do that.

What else can you suggest?
  • VhunterVhunter Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2005
    Well, I took the plunge!
    cmr164 wrote:
    It sounds like the DiMAGE X50 at $329 is a good fit. Did you click the link and look at it? The above links point to Adorama and clicking the image below will get you to B&H's page for it. Either vendor are tops in trust reliability and actual shipped price.

I ordered an X50 from B&H today for $289.00 thumb.gif Also got an extra battery and a case. :D

Thanks for all the info!

P.S. I see where BestBuy has a 1GB SD card for $70.00 after a $15.00 mail in rebate. I might just have to grab one up.
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Vhunter wrote:
    I ordered an X50 from B&H today for $289.00 thumb.gif Also got an extra battery and a case. :D

Thanks for all the info!

P.S. I see where BestBuy has a 1GB SD card for $70.00 after a $15.00 mail in rebate. I might just have to grab one up.
    I hope it does as well for you as the earlier gen camera did for me and still does for my Arceli.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • ilmostroilmostro Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2006
    I'm Baaaaaaack! wave.gif

The Canon S500 that everyone picked out for me has pooped the proverbial bed. The camera still works but the display on the back has quit. :bluduh

I'm off to Europe in a few weeks and doubt I'll have it back from repair in time. What camera should I look for next?

I liked the size and ease of use of the S500. I wasn't a big fan of the proprietary batteries but could live with it and I wasn't thrilled with being unable to manually adjust the shutter speed. To be honest, I didn't think it took that great of pictures.

What is the latest hotness that still meets my original criteria? If it uses the same battery that I already have, that would be nice but not a requirement.

ear.gif
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    ilmostro wrote:
    I'm Baaaaaaack! wave.gif

The Canon S500 that everyone picked out for me has pooped the proverbial bed. The camera still works but the display on the back has quit. :bluduh

I'm off to Europe in a few weeks and doubt I'll have it back from repair in time. What camera should I look for next?

I liked the size and ease of use of the S500. I wasn't a big fan of the proprietary batteries but could live with it and I wasn't thrilled with being unable to manually adjust the shutter speed. To be honest, I didn't think it took that great of pictures.

What is the latest hotness that still meets my original criteria? If it uses the same battery that I already have, that would be nice but not a requirement.

ear.gif

First I would keep the S500 for those danger shots you might take holding one hand out and not looking, just get used to setting it correctly. I have an old S50 with a broken screen that I so that with. If it has video out you can access the menus on a TV with the right cable.

If you are getting over or underexposure you can use the exposure compensation and get a better exposure without a manual setting. If you posted here more often you could get tips on how to make your photos better. blbl.gif

The Canon A700 looks good. It is about $300, uses 2AA batteries and has a good lens. The only bad part is it uses SD memory (I think), but the good news is the price for SD memory has plummeted since you bought your last one. I also think this one has a manual mode. The link above has a very in-depth review.
  • knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    I'm shopping myself for much the same reason. We leave for Italy in 3 weeks. clap.gif

But I want something truly compact. The A-series cameras from Canon are just too bulky for what we want. I've never liked the size of my old S45 in my pocket. So...which cameras beat the Canon elph series?
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    I think the Canon SD700 IS is where its at. I feel like since point and shoots cant do high iso well, the IS is especially useful with them.

BTW, get it from someplace that takes returns, because youd be surprised with Canon repair. I know when I really really need something, they can typically get me back my camera by Friday if they get it on a Monday, though maybe that's just for dSLR gear.
    edited June 13, 2006
    I should add that I'm a cheap bastard trying to keep the camera under $350, if not under $300. :D
  • ilmostroilmostro Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 13, 2006
    The A700 is too bulky for me just like Knary said. I eyeballed the SD700 at Best Buy today and it looked like a front runner. They're not giving the damn things away though. eek7.gif

Anything else comparable to look at or a good reason not to consider the SD700?
    edited June 30, 2006
    A Casio Z850 was delivered yesterday. I'll try to post a shot or two later.

one quick relatively low light photo that doesn't really tell us anything about the camera other than ISO 400 is a bit noisy (as expected and found in every P&S other than the elusive F30) and that the default sharpening is too high.

hungry.jpg