lps#3, 2nd idea, picturesque

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited April 7, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
ok, since my first idea is not satisfying me, here's my second...this is an awesome structure of a railroad bridge found in an unlikely place (though you can't see the railroad above) with a small road and stream that run side by side under it. suggestions or comments? thanks!

141467034-L.jpg
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    141467034-L.jpg

My eye keeps getting drawn to that "pipe" sticking up and leaning into the photo, it's blocking the bridge. Maybe a different angle...if got it, or can get it?
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    yeah, (*@&%^) pipe!
    i'll need to wear some waders to possibly get another angle. this was the best angle of the ones i took. mostly because i wanted the light at the end of the tunnel to show. if i go much farther left to avoid the stinkin pipe, i lose the end of the tunnel, and if i get closer i lose some interesting foreground. conundrum. thanks,

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited April 5, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    conundrum. thanks,

BIG HACKSAW? mwink.gif
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Wow! I love this, it has a dreamy picturesque feel to it. In my mind picturesque has "quaint" associated with it and this definitely fits ... but .... (you knew there had to be at least one "but")

The post sticking up on the right is driving me crazy. I think I see concrete. It has to go but I'm not sure you could photoshop this out. I might also boost the saturation of green just a touch to bring out the moss on the stones, or go black and white. And, I'm not sure you need the vignette.

If it weren't snowing for this shot, I'd use a tripod and a longer exposure to blur the water movement. It would be a subtle nice touch I think.

If I was to reshoot, I'd probably move in closer to get past the post and maybe go wider angle to retain the best elements - the twisted tree overhanging the creek on the left, the ability to see under the bridge to the other side, the trickle of the water over the shelf, and of course the bridge itself. I'd try a bunch of different angles and focal lengths - even some angles where you can't see all the way under the bridge, like shootng straight on into the abutment of climbing stones on the left with the opening on the right - major elements split into thirds. You also might be able to bypass the post by shooting from further away while compressing the overhanging tree into the scene with a longer lens.

Then again, I wasn't there, I could be wrong.
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    if i get closer i lose some interesting foreground

If you mean the snow covered rock in the foreground, I don't think you need it. The main focal point is the bridge and the opening.
    edited April 6, 2007
    thanks for your comments,
    i tried ps'ing the pipe. better than i thought it would be...but probably really needs a reshoot.

141487067-L.jpg

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    i tried ps'ing the pipe. better than i thought it would be...but probably really needs a reshoot.

That's a damn good PS job, but yeah I think a reshoot might do it. And if it was me I'd ease up ever so slightly on the white in the corners.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited April 6, 2007
    That's a damn good PS job, but yeah I think a reshoot might do it. And if it was me I'd ease up ever so slightly on the white in the corners.

I don't like the white around the edges either. Losing that pipe would make a world of difference......take more than one blade for the hacksaw....:D
    edited April 6, 2007
    great, thanks!
    tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited April 6, 2007
    thanks jeffro
    i went to reshoot before work this morning. put on my step son's waders, waded in, and low and behold - the left boot leaked. bummer, especially since it's in the 20's here! it reminds of shay's comments about going through a bunch of trials and tribulations to get a photo and not winning. that'll be me!
    tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Southwesterners Lack
    Tessa HD wrote:

141487067-L.jpg
    Southwesterners (US) rarely see such captivating shots.
    Yep, we got snow...
    But, we dont have such bridges, unless you call to mind the natural bridges in CanyonLands (Utah).

BTW, hows about a CS3 lesson in removing the Iron Pipe?
    Or, did you actually use a big hacksaw?

Good job, Tessa
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Hmmm
    Tess, I liked your first version better. Just goes to show how everyone views things differently...My suggestion, go with what you think is best and sparks your eye, cuz just as everyone here has a different viewpoint on what looks good on your photo, so won't the judges...So does it really matter?

My opinion, on the first photo, nature is not perfect....I love that pole there, it gives the bridge and pic itself more character, note how the tree and the pole are angled, and make the viewers eyes go towards the opening in the bridge. I might increase the curve on the bridge coloring to add to the character of the stone, you could add some subtle glow to the water flow.....blah blah blah...

So as you see, everyone is going to have a different view of your pic. Go with your gut and keep your fingers crossed that the judges saw what you captured in your minds eyes.

Great shot btw (hope I have not offended with my comment)!
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited April 6, 2007
    based on all advice - here's my reshoot...
    I think this is soooo much better than my first one! got a shot without the pipe, didn't do vignetting, upped the saturation on the colors, allowed a longer shutter to blur the water a little, and was able to keep the light at the end of the tunnel too! tell me what you honestly think - picturesque enough for the challenge? thanks...

141552212-L.jpg

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I like this one alot better, Like the angle of capture here...Nice Job.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited April 6, 2007
    The re-shoot is MUCH better!thumb.gif Enter it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    I think this is soooo much better than my first one! got a shot without the pipe, didn't do vignetting, upped the saturation on the colors, allowed a longer shutter to blur the water a little, and was able to keep the light at the end of the tunnel too! tell me what you honestly think - picturesque enough for the challenge? thanks...

141552212-L.jpg

Great job on the re-take!!! My granddaugher who is sitting next to me says "Ooooooo it's beautiful!!!!"

Nice touch with the water and removing the vignetting.....worth your extra effort and time.

Maureen
    edited April 6, 2007
    Thanks Maureen!
    Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited April 6, 2007
    thanks jeffro! i think i will!
    Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited April 6, 2007
    thanks Joe -
    At first I tried to PS out the pipe, mostly using the clone tool, but I still wasn't happy with the results. So this morning before work I took my hacksaw.....not really, I just repositioned myself in the creek. What a sight I must have been - in my dress clothes with big waders on standing in the middle of the water! You know, for years I never noticed how beautiful this bridge was until I started taking pictures. Thanks for your comments!

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Hey Tessa,

The retake came out very nice! I'd definitely give it a thumbs up for "picturesque". :Dthumb.gif

Where are you located being that you're getting all this snow in April?

You might consider doing a seasonal series from this perspective. mwink.gif
    edited April 6, 2007
    That's what I'm talkin 'bout =c) very nice
    edited April 6, 2007
    thanks!
    Northwest PA! Our area is called the "PA Wilds". Actually we're surprised that we got this snow too! We had 78 degrees earlier in the week! I like your idea about a series, I'll have to do that. Thanks for your comments!

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Looking good, Tessa. The only thing I miss on the re-shoot is the magic of the snow falling. Very picturesque.
    Chris
    edited April 6, 2007
    yeah, true. but then again,
    i must admit that I'm anxious for the snow to stop altogether! leave and not return! (till next year) Thanks,

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Yes, beautiful picture and very apt for the challenge. clap.gifBTW what kind of "waders" do you have ? I'm always avoiding mud and a bit of water because I don't want to ruin my shoes.

Jill
    Jill
    edited April 6, 2007
    they weren't mine,
    nor were they fashionable! They were my husband's knee high rubber boots. Just a basic rubber boot that you can find cheap at any farm supply, like Central Tractor. I need to buy myself a pair because as I discovered with this reshoot, the left boot leaked! Brrrr, especially since it was in the 20's here!

tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited April 6, 2007
    I actually went out a few days ago and got some ad a sporting good store. $20 bucks is a small price to pay for getting the shot you couldn't have other wise =c)
    edited April 6, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    nor were they fashionable! They were my husband's knee high rubber boots. Just a basic rubber boot that you can find cheap at any farm supply, like Central Tractor. I need to buy myself a pair because as I discovered with this reshoot, the left boot leaked! Brrrr, especially since it was in the 20's here!

tessa
    Thakns..
    I look so terrible already when I go out to shoot, I should be embarrassedrolleyes1.gif, a pair of men's rubber boots might just be the ticket, i'd much rather get the shot than look good. Although a farm supply store is not in our area, maybe a fishing store.
    Jill
    edited April 6, 2007
    I actually went out a few days ago and got some ad a sporting good store. $20 bucks is a small price to pay for getting the shot you couldn't have other wise =c)

Only $20 dollars? Definately have to get those.
    Thanks, Jill
    Jill
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Gorgeous reshoot! LOVE it!