HS Softball

johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
edited April 9, 2007 in Sports
A few from last week. It's snowing again this week in Northeast Ohio - after being 75 on Wednesday. Go figure.
C&C always welcome...
140360158-M.jpg

140360769-M.jpg

139677168-M.jpg

140355362-M.jpg

139622654-M.jpg

140357683-M.jpg

Comments

• RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    your action shots are really good John, I appreciate being able to see them
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    nice job John. I really like #'s 4 and 5thumb.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    good shooting Johnclap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Nice job with plays at the bag. A important part of softball/baseball that is often diffcult to convey well in photograhps.

Nice capture of action, keeping the backgrounds clean and showing those faces!!!
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    winger wrote:
    Nice capture of action, keeping the backgrounds clean and showing those faces!!!

Thanks everyone. Winger, those components pretty much sammarize what a good action photo is IMO. While I take other shots without action (for sale to parents) the three components above are pretty well essential. Probably the most difficult is the backgrounds because, especially in baseball/softball they require expensive glass. You don't have a whole lot of options for where to position yourself to get plays at first base. So you have to deal with that fence. Action at the plate - you've got a fence AND the stands to deal with (although you don't need as long of a lens there).

Last year before the start of the season I invested in the Sigma 120-300 2.8. The lens has paid for itself and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a great field sport lens and can't afford using 2 bodies and buying the Canon or Nikon 300 2.8 (which costs an extra $2000 for the lens plus the extra $1200 for another body to use a shorter lens on). It's not as good as the Canon 300 2.8 but it's about 90% there and better than any other option short of using the canon 300 2.8 and a second body.

Thanks for you kind words and for looking!
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Thanks everyone. Winger, those components pretty much sammarize what a good action photo is IMO. While I take other shots without action (for sale to parents) the three components above are pretty well essential. .

Thanks for you kind words and for looking!

Thank you for getting it! :)

Its like if you get that down: shoot it tight, get their face and clean up those backgrounds you have figured out about 90 % of sports photograhpy.

Nothing kills me more than some one with a great capture and then some fan in a bright orange jacket on the sidelines ruining it for me.

But seriously I am glad you get it because I was starting to feel like I was banging my head on a wall.