Options

Favorite Lens for an Indoor Wedding?

T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
edited April 13, 2005 in Accessories
I have a wedding coming up Feb 12th and about $500 to spend on a new lens for my Canon 20D. Had no plans on being the photographer for them and tried to back out (because I am more a portrait shooter and hate the pressure), but am told if I don't do it nobody will. I just got the camera this month with the 18-55 kit lens...

Any recommendations or favorites for shooting an indoor church wedding. I am sure I will get as many as I can outside if at all possible, but the ceremony and reception are indoors. Oh and they prefer no flashes in the ceremony. I am thinking IS for sure...
Tina Folsom :lust
Photographer and Mom of Four!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    T4Tots wrote:
    I have a wedding coming up Feb 12th and about $500 to spend on a new lens for my Canon 20D. Had no plans on being the photographer for them and tried to back out (because I am more a portrait shooter and hate the pressure), but am told if I don't do it nobody will. I just got the camera this month with the 18-55 kit lens...

Any recommendations or favorites for shooting an indoor church wedding. I am sure I will get as many as I can outside if at all possible, but the ceremony and reception are indoors. Oh and they prefer no flashes in the ceremony. I am thinking IS for sure...

you should be thinking *fast* glass mostly, i.s. secondary imo. at $500 your choices are somewhat limited... perhaps the 50 f/1.4, though it's sort of tight indoors. provided you can use sneaker zoom to step back, it should do you fine. it's about $300 or less i believe.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    andy wrote:
    you should be thinking *fast* glass mostly, i.s. secondary imo. at $500 your choices are somewhat limited... perhaps the 50 f/1.4, though it's sort of tight indoors. provided you can use sneaker zoom to step back, it should do you fine. it's about $300 or less i believe.
    I should have mentioned I have a 50 mm f 1.8...but think I need to get a better f 2.8 to zoom

I found another thread that was very helpful and am thinking towards the Tamron 28-75 2.8 since its in my budget
    edited January 31, 2005
    T4Tots wrote:
    I should have mentioned I have a 50 mm f 1.8...but think I need to get a better f 2.8 to zoom

I found another thread that was very helpful and am thinking towards the Tamron 28-75 2.8 since its in my budget

The Tamron is supposed to be very good, and the price is great. Andy is right, however. You want fast glass, not image stabilized glass. You will want shutter speeds of 1/100, with faster being better. Otherwise you get a touch of motion blur as people move about, and it is not a pretty effect. With shutter speeds that high, image stabilization is of zero value. Remember, IS only stops the camera from moving, it cannot keep your subject from moving.

You already have a 50/1.8. Go to a place of similar lighting and see what aperture you need to get 1/150 th shutter speed at the ISO you want to shoot at. Is it 2.8 or higher? Then get the zoom. Is it 2.0, 1.8, etc.? Then consider a fast wide prime, like a 35 or 28mm lens. Being at the church will also let you know what focal length you need. Therefore, less guessing when you go to buy. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    The Tamron is supposed to be very good, and the price is great. Andy is right, however. You want fast glass, not image stabilized glass. You will want shutter speeds of 1/100, with faster being better. Otherwise you get a touch of motion blur as people move about, and it is not a pretty effect. With shutter speeds that high, image stabilization is of zero value. Remember, IS only stops the camera from moving, it cannot keep your subject from moving.

You already have a 50/1.8. Go to a place of similar lighting and see what aperture you need to get 1/150 th shutter speed at the ISO you want to shoot at. Is it 2.8 or higher? Then get the zoom. Is it 2.0, 1.8, etc.? Then consider a fast wide prime, like a 35 or 28mm lens. Being at the church will also let you know what focal length you need. Therefore, less guessing when you go to buy. :)
    Thanks...I think I am definetely headed over to the church to shoot some before I decide.
    edited January 31, 2005
    T4Tots wrote:
    Thanks...I think I am definetely headed over to the church to shoot some before I decide.
    If F/2.8 is enough, consider the canon 28-70 second hand. It's nearly as good as the 24-70 (the new version) but much cheaper as people have traded up for the extra 4mm on the short end iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    [I would go with the zoom.
    The D20 is so good at noise I would crank up the ISO get the zoom a good flash and shoot away.
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    FramesMediaFramesMedia Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    I second the suggestion for the 50mm 1.4!
  • Options
    FramesMediaFramesMedia Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    I second the suggestion for the 50mm 1.4!
    Oops.. Ignore the above post (50mm 1.4). Just read that you have the 1.8. You already have a fast glass. I don't see the need for 2.8 plus zoom!
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    I found the Tamron 28-75 2.8 on sale for $299, so I got one. Still watching an auction for a 1.4 since it seems to be a favorite and I would love to have one anyway :) The 1.8 is great, but after reading a lot of reviews this week and a comparison between the 1.4 and 1.8, I think the 1.4 is a must have for me...I shoot a LOT of natural indoor light.
    edited February 4, 2005
    Perfect excuse to get the 85/1.2!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    caveat: i'm not a wedding photog (yet)...

Fast primes are nice inside and you'll certainly use it for posed shots, but for candids, you really can't beat a fast zoom. Good candids require environmental awareness, technical familiarity with your gear, and fancy footwork. The last thing you need to worry about is getting a full frame shot. With a fast zoom, you can focus on lighting, angles, background aperture, composition, etc, and just twist a ring to fill the frame and/or switch from a headshot to a full body shot. Worth their weight in gold, imho.

YMMV, of course.

Where's mongrel? i'd like to hear his take on this.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited February 5, 2005
    T4Tots wrote:

Hmm...I would suggest the 50/1.4 as one choice (price). Something like a
    70-200/2.8 would make candids a little easier. Another good choice would
    be the 24-70. I know the latter two are well over your budget. I'd seriously
    think about the 50/1.4 for the ceremony--epsecially if you have to go with
    no flash.

Are you doing posed pictures afterward? If so, can you use flash
    then? If you don't have one, you should think about an off-camera
    (and perhaps on a flash bracket too) unit.

Do you know what the venue is like? Where will you shoot from? These and
    other questions might help you decide what to buy.

Good luck!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice! It worked our really well. I hope to not be asked to do that again mind you! But if so, I am so much more prepared now that you guys help me make those important decisions!!

Just a sample of what I did at the wedding last weekend if you wanted to see some results.

I used the new Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 for most of the pictures. I grabbed a few choice shots with the Canon 1.8. And since they actually turned the lights OUT in the ceremony and only used candlelight, I set up a tripod and hid out in the choir loft (with permission)

15893767-L-1.jpg
    edited February 18, 2005
    Congratulations Tina, looks like you did yourself proud clap.gif
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    This is a great thread. clap.gif A couple friends of mine will be married in May, and want me to shoot. This of course leaves an amature/hobbyist scared stiff! :uhoh Those were great shots t4tots, and great tips from everyone else!
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    I still get nervous when shooting weddings for friends. Good luck! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited February 18, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Nice job thumb.gif

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Great pictures! Way to work with what you have and get some great shots. I love the closeup of the ring.
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Thanks. Results will be posted mid-may, if I don't goof them all up. :uhoh :D
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    I think I read this was your first wedding, but I could be mistaken.

Did you just give them the files/negs, or did you do an album for them? If you did an album did you do the traditional style or coffee table style? Did you give/sell them the negatives? Put up a gallery for friends/family to order from? :0)
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2005
    GerryDavid wrote:
    I think I read this was your first wedding, but I could be mistaken.

Did you just give them the files/negs, or did you do an album for them? If you did an album did you do the traditional style or coffee table style? Did you give/sell them the negatives? Put up a gallery for friends/family to order from? :0)
    Yep, first wedding...but now I have one booked for July...Lord help me heheh.

I actually am looking into a proof album for her. Originally, I just uploaded everything to smugmug for them to order at my prices. I just posted the other day that I am not quite sure where to go for proof books. After looking into it I have come across ProFoto and they look like they will do a pretty good job. I didn't give them any files...I am not into giving away. She will be here next week to pick out her pictures for the magazine style proof book.
    edited April 13, 2005
    T4Tots wrote:
    Yep, first wedding...but now I have one booked for July...Lord help me heheh.

I actually am looking into a proof album for her. Originally, I just uploaded everything to smugmug for them to order at my prices. I just posted the other day that I am not quite sure where to go for proof books. After looking into it I have come across ProFoto and they look like they will do a pretty good job. I didn't give them any files...I am not into giving away. She will be here next week to pick out her pictures for the magazine style proof book.
    I get my regular albums from Albums Inc (http://albumsinc.com/). They will send you a catalog and have a wide range of options. I like the site you found for your bound proof books; that's pretty nice. If you want a very nice first edition printed album, then check out White Glove Books at http://www.wgbooks.com/home.html.
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    I get my regular albums from Albums Inc (http://albumsinc.com/). They will send you a catalog and have a wide range of options. I like the site you found for your bound proof books; that's pretty nice. If you want a very nice first edition printed album, then check out White Glove Books at http://www.wgbooks.com/home.html.
    I checked into Albums Inc...and joined and a catalog is headed my way :) Thanks SO much!
    edited April 13, 2005
    T4Tots wrote:
    I checked into Albums Inc...and joined and a catalog is headed my way :) Thanks SO much!
    You bet! thumb.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Tina
    I don't do weddings but

I would look at the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    I shoot in some dark inside locations and it works good for me
    Yes its expensive but it's L glass
    great landscape and portrait lens too

My 2 cents icon10.gif

Fred
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    I don't do weddings but

I would look at the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    I shoot in some dark inside locations and it works good for me
    Yes its expensive but it's L glass
    great landscape and portrait lens too

My 2 cents icon10.gif

Fred
    Thanks Fred...I already purchased the Tamron 28-75 2.8 and that did fine for the February wedding. I agree the Canon L glass is probably a future upgrade I will consider, but for now the Tamron is doing great. I have also since then purchased a 28-300 lens just to get better outdoor candids. I like to shoot in the moment so to speak and get a better variety with this zoom :) I agree with your choice though!