Class A Minor League Baseball

NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited April 7, 2007 in Sports
I am going to the new stadium in Midland, I helped detail all the steel. My question is what kind of restrictions should I except on camera eq.? I called them and asked what there rules were... and the answer was you cant bring any super duper zoom lens that will zoom up on the players face. well... the 70-200 that I want to bring wont really do that but to someone that has no idea would prob. turn me away. It didnt sound like there was a special area for photographers. what do you guys think? I will be taking my backpack style bag with most of my stuff, should I chance it. I was thinking of walking up to the gate with my camera in hand in hopes that they wont spend to much time going through my bag. thoughts??

Tim

P.S. I posted the same question over at DCRP & POTN but didnt get much response so I thought I'd ask you dgriners.

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I don't recommend trying to take the bag. That will probably cause more problems than the lens. Most major league parks won't allow bags.

Take the camera with lens and cary it with the lens tucked under your arm. It's minor leagues - I wouldn't expect you'll get much flack. But with only 200mm you'll have to be darn close to the field to get good shots.

But, on the off chance they want to be super strict - make sure you're comfortable with the idea of returing your camera to the car for the game if they do decide not to let you bring it in.
  • NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    JohnG

Thanks for the advice, this is the very first game held at this park so im hoping that strict rules wont be in place yet (fingers crossed) plus we will be in the "special area" because we helped build the place. anyway if I am able to take some shots, ill be back to post them

Thanks again
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    i would not have thought to call them..I don't think the bag will make it through.
    I can't believe that they told you no close ups..Midland is just A-ball isn't it? ...I took my 300 to a brewer game & no one said anything & I plan on taking my 500mm this year.

good luck!!
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    yeah dbaker it is just class A. you think I should just take the 20d+70-200 mounted?
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    well..that's what I'd do.

It is their place of business & they do have the right to tell you no. but I don't think they will as long as your not a problem to others.

minor league ball tries to be about the fan.. espes. low classes like A-ball where they only draw 2000-or so a game.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    i shoot AAA all the time and they have NO restricitions, unlike the other major sports
    I take bags, cams, lenses, no probs....they wanna look inside all bags but not for cams