edited April 7, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Out of Water, Study #1

141722296-L.jpg

Out of Water, Study #2

141722295-L.jpg

Comments

• sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    I like the first composition better. A tighter crop may be more effective, perhaps? Great idea, though! thumb.gif

Cheers, Sunita
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    I definately llike the first one better than the second. It seems to lead your eye to the the flower behind the vase(petals behind the water). Very neat composition!
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    I agree, the first one is the best.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Yup. First one. =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    There seems to be a bit of drama going on in number 1, your diagonals of the pond and the flower lead my eye to the stamen behind the strong vertical vase. It almost seems like that stamen is trying to inch the flower along to reach the pond in search of water. Nice:D

Jill
    Jill
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    i like #1 best,
    it's got such an awesome background! As a personal preference, I'm curious to see what the flower looks like. Do you have an extra flower that could be placed toward the viewer (unless of course that's not what you're going for).

tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    sunita wrote:
    I like the first composition better. A tighter crop may be more effective, perhaps? Great idea, though! thumb.gif

Thanks. This is my standard "give everything a little room" crop. I'll spend some time hunting for a tigher crop. I have found cropping that shot to be a bit tricky; there are leading lines all over the frame and it is hard to crop it much and keep the eye in the frame.
    JillG wrote:
    There seems to be a bit of drama going on in number 1, your diagonals of the pond and the flower lead my eye to the stamen behind the strong vertical vase. It almost seems like that stamen is trying to inch the flower along to reach the pond in search of water. Nice:D

Thanks. I want at all sure what the background was going to look like when I set the shot up. To get any definition at all in the background I had to stop down quite a bit. Looking at it through the viewfinder at full aperture it was blurred beyond recognition and the DoF preview was so dark as to be nearly unusable. Now that I have some idea what I am looking for in the overall composition, I am going to go back and try to improve the light and arrangement a bit.
    Tessa HD wrote:
    it's got such an awesome background! As a personal preference, I'm curious to see what the flower looks like. Do you have an extra flower that could be placed toward the viewer (unless of course that's not what you're going for).

Thanks. I really like how the trees and the edge of the pond worked into the overall frame. I have three flower stems, so I can certainly put more in the frame. However, I find the shot as it is to be on the busy end of my generally rather minimalist style as it is, so I am not sure where I would fit it in. I'll give it some thought.