Options

The Photo Essay

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited April 8, 2007 in Journeys
THE PHOTO ESSAY

Thread Purpose

To post photo essays on a subject or a place, gain experience in visual storytelling, and learn to edit your own work ruthlessly. The idea is to provide a visual narrative that conveys a sense of place, theme or event - it's storytelling with images (think National Geographic photojournalistic style).

Elements of a Photo Essay

Ever notice how most National Geo stories start with an aerial or sweeping photo then moves closer into the subject? It's storytelling. While there is no set formula for this, some elements in a photo essay could include:

1. Opening Photo - Introduces subject in the broadest sense.
2. Moving In - Dropping into the scene and bringing your audience with you.
3. Environmental Portrait - Places people in the context of the story and the surroundings.
4. Details - Moving in very close. Capturing details can draw viewer in so they can almost touch, smell, or taste this environment.
5. The Moment - Every situation has that "moment" - an awesome action shot, a telling look or gesture, something special. Ready, steady, wait for it, wait for it .... click!
6. Conclusion. An image that concludes the story. It could resolve a conflict or just nicely wrap things up. Think cowboy riding off into the sunset, for instance.

Edit Ruthlessly

It is difficult to succinctly convey a story through images but it is critical to edit your own work ruthlessly. (This is my greatest challenge). If you don't, your essay is likely to end up like the dreaded Uncle Fred's two-hour vacation slideshow (here's Aunt Margaret in front of the Eiffel Tower, etc.) with a bored audience. People's attention spans are short.

The other truism is that people will remember you for your weakest shot - include one too many images, or one that doesn't live up to the quality of the rest, and the whole tapestry of the story unwinds. A great photo essay doesn't satisfy, it leaves the viewer wanting more!

Please don't be Uncle Fred

Please post your photo essay; we're all interested in your storytelling. But please, no more than 10 images. Don't be Uncle Fred. Remember that few magazine or newspaper feature stories have even 10 photos with them.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Cow Cutters: A Photo Essay in 60 minutes or less
    Yesterday I had limited time to do some shooting in an unfamiliar town. I carved out about an hour between a meeting and my commute back home across the mountains so I decided to head down to the fairgrounds in Ellensburg, Washington. This small Eastern Washington city is in the heart of cowboy country and hosts a fairly famous rodeo every year. As it turns out, they have smaller events going on all the time.

Yesterday, it was practice time for the Cascade Cow Cutters with some amazing riders and horses. The idea here is to cut a calf from the herd and keep them from rejoining the herd for several minutes.

I think there are at least two too many images here. Which photos would you cut out of this story? (Hey! Be nice, ALL is NOT an option! ;-)

CASCADE COW CUTTERS

141779650-M.jpg

141794152-M.jpg

141786305-M.jpg

141797736-M.jpg

141800260-M.jpg

141805265-M.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    If I had to rely soley on photos for a story, I would be hard pressed to do
    so with these.

Either the story or the photographs must have some sort of caption. For
    example; the first caption might be "Cowboy X prepares for the upcoming
    cow cutting competition.". Or for shot 6, "Cowgirl cuts a calf from the
    herd". If I look at the WA picture of the horse, I think "nice shot. good
    angle"--but I have no idea the significance of the shot in this series.

You need accurate captions. With out them, most photos cannot convey
    a story the viewer is unfamiliar with by themselves because there is no
    context (or not enough).

Using the NG example, the photographer and writer work together to
    develop the story. Shots are chosen to match the story line. While
    they're not always captioned, more often than not, the caption is a
    short paragraph and if you look at only the pictures, the reader can
    grasp an overview of the story.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Either the story or the photographs must have some sort of caption. For
    example; the first caption might be "Cowboy X prepares for the upcoming
    cow cutting competition.". Or for shot 6, "Cowgirl cuts a calf from the
    herd".
    And yet you pegged them exactly after reading only an introductory paragraph.

I think Henri Cartier-Bresson, David Alan Harvey, and Robert Frank might disagree with your assertion concerning captions. Are you saying this would never work without captions, or just this particular series?
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    You've got some nice photo's there, and I think you've got part of the idea, but let me offer my opinion and we'll see what you think...

Personally, looking at those, I would cut #3 and #4, my reasoning is because they seem irrelevant to the story. while they are nice photos they do not feel like they add anything...

The other thing I notice, is that the last set of photos are a very similar feel, #6, and #7 especially so.., I find my self looking at them and thinking, "booorrring.... I just saw this one."

I think what needs to happen is for you to focus down and make it so each of the photos tells a different part of the story... otherwise it's like reading a book where every paragraph is a slightly reworded version of the first... it gets boring really quick...

Ben
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    Thanks! Looked again and I agree with you on the choices of cuts, except maybe on #4 (the saddle detail). Thanks for the input, very helpful.

I made some cuts above.

Tom
    Bendr wrote:
    You've got some nice photo's there, and I think you've got part of the idea, but let me offer my opinion and we'll see what you think...

Personally, looking at those, I would cut #3 and #4, my reasoning is because they seem irrelevant to the story. while they are nice photos they do not feel like they add anything...

The other thing I notice, is that the last set of photos are a very similar feel, #6, and #7 especially so.., I find my self looking at them and thinking, "booorrring.... I just saw this one."

I think what needs to happen is for you to focus down and make it so each of the photos tells a different part of the story... otherwise it's like reading a book where every paragraph is a slightly reworded version of the first... it gets boring really quick...

Ben
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    I think Henri Cartier-Bresson, David Alan Harvey, and Robert Frank might disagree with your assertion concerning captions. Are you saying this would never work without captions, or just this particular series?
    Yeah, but after your explanation (a great photo-essay explanation, btw), and based on what this forum's about, we were expecting the essay as well, not just the photos.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, but after your explanation (a great photo-essay explanation, btw), and based on what this forum's about, we were expecting the essay as well, not just the photos.
    True, "photo essays" often have an accompanying text essay or captions, but not always. Many books by famous photographers have been photo essays without captions and little if any text. Apparently I wasn't clear enough when asking about this prior to posting which is, of course, why I asked in the first place. Obviously, I'm in the wrong place.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited April 7, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    True, "photo essays" often have an accompanying text essay or captions, but not always. Many books by famous photographers have been photo essays without captions and little if any text. Apparently I wasn't clear enough when asking about this prior to posting which is, of course, why I asked in the first place. Obviously, I'm in the wrong place.

Captioned, I'd say leave them here. But if what you want is just pictures and
    a bit of an explanation, then their respective categories would be fine too.

What I'd like to see is the captioned version.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Captioned, I'd say leave them here. But if what you want is just pictures and
    a bit of an explanation, then their respective categories would be fine too.

What I'd like to see is the captioned version.

Respectfully, I disagree but it's your forum. It may seem that I'm being obstinate but I really do believe there are few things more difficult and challenging than creating a photo essay to tell a story with few, if any words. I thought of it as an expansion of the idea behind the theme-based Last Photographer Standing contest. I was attempting to foster a new avenue for creative expression and discussion but it didn't meet your specifications. Sorry to waste your time in your forum.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    Respectfully, I disagree but it's your forum. It may seem that I'm being obstinate but I really do believe there are few things more difficult and challenging than creating a photo essay to tell a story with few, if any words. I thought of it as an expansion of the idea behind the theme-based Last Photographer Standing contest. I was attempting to foster a new avenue for creative expression and discussion but it didn't meet your specifications. Sorry to waste your time in your forum.
    I dig it! Variety is good thumb.gif
    We have guidelines, not set-in-concrete rules around here.

Post away, we love your images.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I dig it! Variety is good thumb.gif
    We have guidelines, not set-in-concrete rules around here.

Post away, we love your images.

15524779-Ti.gif

Seastack, we may find that as your thread grows and this forum grows that it's a great fit, or we may move it to some other forum, but this thread is a GREAT IDEA. I'd love to see more photo essays along these lines. I've seen how much talent you have, and I love the idea of encouraging more photo essays, with or without words. The feedback that yours might not stand up without words is just that--feedback.

My opinion is that photo titles would be a) a great discipline, b)helpful to the viewer, and c) better than numbers, or at least, more interesting and engaging.

In short: clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    It can be tough at times to break into new artistic territory. So I am glad to see your essay. Keep plugging away, self motivated, and you may help raise the bar at dgrin for the better when it comes to communicating with images.

As far as captions go, I think they are important for the stand alone image, but I would give more leeway to a series of photo that are story telling.

So keep it up man clap.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2007
    Whatever works, all the feedback IS appreciated. Absolutes publicly posted, not so much, but the debate served a purpose. My primary hope remains that others will post here as well and have the freedom to make their own presentation choices.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    Thanks! Looked again and I agree with you on the choices of cuts, except maybe on #4 (the saddle detail). Thanks for the input, very helpful.

I made some cuts above.

Tom

I think that is much better, It feels much more concise and to the point. thumb.gif