LPS #3: Irregular attempt

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited April 10, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Made a few attempts today at something irregular. I was wondering what you all think of these two. It's the same tree, just photographed from two different angles:

141925755-L.jpg

141925756-L.jpg

Not sure which one I prefer or if this concept even works.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Linda,
    richtersl wrote:
    Made a few attempts today at something irregular. I was wondering what you all think of these two. It's the same tree, just photographed from two different angles:
    Not sure which one I prefer or if this concept even works.

I like #2 more, but it still does not look ready, more like a raw food, needs some cooking done:-)

Thanks for the GG advise, mebbe you wanna try your own medicine? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like #2 more, but it still does not look ready, more like a raw food, needs some cooking done:-)

Thanks for the GG advise, mebbe you wanna try your own medicine? mwink.gif

Laughing.gifOLaughing.gif...I guess I'll be playing around today!
    edited April 8, 2007
    I did some playing around today with adding some Gaussian blur to the photos. Even tried them in color, which did not seem to work as well as the B&W.

Here's a rework of #1
    142024382-L.jpg

And #2
    142024212-L.jpg

Worst case scenario is that I go out and shoot something different. ne_nau.gif:D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Linda,
    richtersl wrote:
    I did some playing around today with adding some Gaussian blur to the photos. Even tried them in color, which did not seem to work as well as the B&W.

Here's a rework of #1

And #2

Worst case scenario is that I go out and shoot something different. ne_nau.gif:D

I think I like the original versions better. Still, the contrast is a bit overwhelming. rolleyes1.gif
    Composition-wise, I see the maze of roots, but somehow I don't get the "focal point" if you will... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 8, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I think I like the original versions better. Still, the contrast is a bit overwhelming. rolleyes1.gif
    Composition-wise, I see the maze of roots, but somehow I don't get the "focal point" if you will... ne_nau.gif
    The roots lead to the tree trunk -- but the more I look at the photos the more the root system seems to blend in with the stones. They just don't stand out as much as I'd like them to.

I think I'm going to head back to the drawing board. ne_nau.gifnod
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    richtersl wrote:

I think I'm going to head back to the drawing board. ne_nau.gifnod

I actually like #1 for what its worth. The eye starts at the trunk and gets lost in the irregular tangle of roots. I like the gaussian blur one better than the original, but that's just me.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    I also like #1 better. I find that the base of the tree is a stronger center of interest in that shot. The Gaussian blur in you modified version helps the center of interest so in that sense it is good but, for my taste, it looks too processed in a shot which is all about the organic.

One thing you might try if you decide to reshoot is a touch of fill flash. Don't hit it too hard, just enough to bring the shadows a tad.
    edited April 9, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I actually like #1 for what its worth. The eye starts at the trunk and gets lost in the irregular tangle of roots. I like the gaussian blur one better than the original, but that's just me.
    Thanks so much for your feedback!
    edited April 9, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I also like #1 better. I find that the base of the tree is a stronger center of interest in that shot. The Gaussian blur in you modified version helps the center of interest so in that sense it is good but, for my taste, it looks too processed in a shot which is all about the organic.

One thing you might try if you decide to reshoot is a touch of fill flash. Don't hit it too hard, just enough to bring the shadows a tad.

Thanks for the feedback. I never thought to try a fill flash that day because the outdoor light was not too bad. That tree is not far from here and I'll have to try that the next time I get over there!
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    like urbanaries I, too, like #1 after processing the best (but if you ever take a look at my photos you'll see I'm into heavier than usual processing so perhaps I'm not the best judge)

your rework of photo #1 actually makes me want to go out and gaussian blur things...I haven't really experimented much with that filter...I like that photo of yours a lot
    edited April 10, 2007
    like urbanaries I, too, like #1 after processing the best (but if you ever take a look at my photos you'll see I'm into heavier than usual processing so perhaps I'm not the best judge)

your rework of photo #1 actually makes me want to go out and gaussian blur things...I haven't really experimented much with that filter...I like that photo of yours a lot
    Thanks for the feedback, Amy. :D I'm leaning toward #1 myself but I need to work on it a bit more.

Playing with Gaussian blur is fun! I think it would look really cool on some of your cemetery pictures. mwink.gif