Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Thanks for looking.
    Cheers,

This is a very interesting series you've posted today.
    May I ask why do they cover up like that ?
    Why do they hide their faces? ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Great photos! Is this how you guys celebrate Easter? What is this tradition and how it come about? I would like to hear about the costumes.wings.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 9, 2007
    Thanks Marina and Skippy. I don't know a great deal about the history of the penitent's costume. The pointy hood was first seen during the Inquisition, which began at the end of the fifteenth century. It was meant to humiliate heretics--though humiliation was the least of their problems. The meaning has changed, though. Now the hoods are supposed to bring the wearer closer to heaven, but I really don't know why or when the change of symbolism took place. Not everyone wears the hood, of course, but that's what always shows up in the photos.

Regards,
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    Thank you Richard for the little history, it's always good to hear about different cultures! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    I've seen this on a trip to Seville once. The way it was explained to me, and I don't know if this is any more accurate, is that the penitent (the person repenting) is anonymous to everyone...except God, who knows exactly who they are.

And it really is a penance. The penitents may march for many hours over a long distance across the city and back.

It may be the most spectacular event I've ever witnessed. I've never seen a downtown so jammed with people at 3 a.m. One of these days I'll get the pix off the film and onto Smugmug.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 10, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    It may be the most spectacular event I've ever witnessed. I've never seen a downtown so jammed with people at 3 a.m. One of these days I'll get the pix off the film and onto Smugmug.

Yeah, the processions in Sevilla are supposed to be the best in Spain. Maybe they have more to repent there mwink.gif.