Options

Country scene - early morning "sweet light"

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited April 15, 2007 in Landscapes
I took this photo on the way home from Charleston, SC. It was taken on US 78 just before Williston, SC. I've passed by this location probably a hundred times, but it has always been from mid-afternoon to late night either coming or going to SC from my home in Alabama.

This time I decided that I was going to leave very early to be in the area of this shot around sunrise. I was a little early and had to eat breakfast in Williston while waiting for the sun to come up. Even after returning to the this scene I had to wait a while for enough light and for some of the dark shadows to go away.

Now I think that I want to shoot the same scene again this fall in the early morning, but that's another time.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Click on the image for EXIF data.

142080082-O.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to look.
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Lovely scene, lovely light. I'm not much of a really early monring person, but you did very well getting yourself there for sunrise! Good job!

ann
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 8, 2007
    beautiful photo, dixie-

love the light-
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Gorgeous light Dixie! Wonderful photograph. I will get back to you. But I wanted to comment on this photograph. Suggestion: take another in the fall, smile.
    No one needs to tell you how to shoot. So much of it is being there, you know the right time, and you know how to put it all together. What more?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    beautifull scene! very nice light as well thumb.gif love it!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    Lovely photo, but I'd like to see more of the house. Fancy getting up early again?
  • Options
    Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    Love this photo. really enjoy your use of the tree in framing the house, and the entire image.
    It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    Beautiful! Very picturesque, I might add. clap.gif

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    Nice light and shot. Any chance you got one of just the house close-up in that morning light?
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    This is a great shot but!

The tree trunk should either be all the way in or all the way out. There is an awkward tangency in the way the border of the image lines up with the right edge of the trunkheadscratch.gif.
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    Nice light and a great find! Oh and good job on getting up early - one of the many things I don't do well.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Lovely scene, lovely light. I'm not much of a really early monring person, but you did very well getting yourself there for sunrise! Good job!

ann

Thank you, Ann. The older I get the harder those early morning become. :D
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    beautiful photo, dixie-

love the light-

Thanks, George. Lots of travel this year. It doesn't look like I am going to make it back to the Smokies until this June. :cry
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Gorgeous light Dixie! Wonderful photograph. I will get back to you. But I wanted to comment on this photograph. Suggestion: take another in the fall, smile.
    No one needs to tell you how to shoot. So much of it is being there, you know the right time, and you know how to put it all together. What more?

ginger

Ginger, thank you. I already have a fall stop planned for this location.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    beautifull scene! very nice light as well thumb.gif love it!

Thank you. Seeing where you are from reminds me that I have to get back to NL to shoot some more. The last time I was there was in 2003.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    tobers wrote:
    Lovely photo, but I'd like to see more of the house. Fancy getting up early again?

Thanks, tobers. I don't like trespassing so I didn't enter the house. There is no place even near this one, but maybe I check to see who owns it and see if I can get permission to do some interior shots.

Here is the closest shot I have of the house itself.

142855055-O.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    Grizzle6 wrote:
    Love this photo. really enjoy your use of the tree in framing the house, and the entire image.

Thank you, Grizzle. I do tend to agree with Marc Muench about the tree being chopped along the right edge. When I respond to his post, I am putting up another shot which gives a little more room to the right of the tree trunk.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Beautiful! Very picturesque, I might add. clap.gif

Elaine

Thanks, Elaine.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    DavidS wrote:
    Wow. That's beautiful.

Thank you, David.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Nice light and shot. Any chance you got one of just the house close-up in that morning light?

Thank you, Dave. Check my response to tobers. That is as tight a shot as I made of the house. Even then I did get some tall grass between me and the house which I didn't notice until I was in post-processing. As stated in an earlier response, I think I will try to locate the owner and see if I can do a more in-depth study of this old building. I always feel funny, even if there aren't any no trespassing signs around, about going around old places without permission. I move into the area about 100 feet from the edge of the road and felt guilty doing that.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    This is a great shot but!

The tree trunk should either be all the way in or all the way out. There is an awkward tangency in the way the border of the image lines up with the right edge of the trunkheadscratch.gif.

Marc, no argument from me on that accessment. I did shoot one other giving a little more room to the right of the tree trunk. Maybe it could have used a little more. I will be going back to this location and will try to do it more justice.

Here is the second shot. I also applied a photographic cooling filter to this one to tone down some of the "early morning light."

142854768-O.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2007
    Phil U. wrote:
    Nice light and a great find! Oh and good job on getting up early - one of the many things I don't do well.

Thanks, Phil. I agree as those early morning forays keep getting harder and harder. :D
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Dixie wrote:
    Marc, no argument from me on that accessment. I did shoot one other giving a little more room to the right of the tree trunk. Maybe it could have used a little more. I will be going back to this location and will try to do it more justice.

Here is the second shot. I also applied a photographic cooling filter to this one to tone down some of the "early morning light."

Right on Dixieclap.gif I like seing the entire trunk.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Thank you, Marc.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    I feel like i could put my hand into the monitor. Beautiful.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I feel like i could put my hand into the monitor. Beautiful.

Thank you, Gus. I'm looking forward to meeting you and the other DGrinners in Glacier NP for Shootout '07.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie