Errors

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited April 11, 2007 in Cameras
I haven't been taking much pictures since I bought my D50. There seems to be one problem that I can't even explain in here, so I'll have to take it to the shop to show them what I think might be wrong.

The other problem is - why won't most of the pictures in the card not show up in the camera's LCD screen, but it shows up in the computer's monitor? Only 4 out of 52 show up in the camera, the rest say File Does Not Contain Image Data.

I just took some Easter picutres this evening and only 2 are still showing in the camera, and the other 2 are from what I took a few weeks ago ata park. Maybe all 4 will vanish, too, eventually. So could it be the camera going out or the card?
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 9, 2007
    I haven't been taking much pictures since I bought my D50. There seems to be one problem that I can't even explain in here, so I'll have to take it to the shop to show them what I think might be wrong.

The other problem is - why won't most of the pictures in the card not show up in the camera's LCD screen, but it shows up in the computer's monitor? Only 4 out of 52 show up in the camera, the rest say File Does Not Contain Image Data.

I just took some Easter picutres this evening and only 2 are still showing in the camera, and the other 2 are from what I took a few weeks ago ata park. Maybe all 4 will vanish, too, eventually. So could it be the camera going out or the card?

Without knowing your image workflow, I can only speculate. I suspect that if you are taking the storage card out of the camera to view images on the computer, your viewer software is somehow altering the images so that they are no longer compliant with your camera.

Always copy images to your computer and make alterations to the "copied" images on the computer. Anything else is just plain asking for trouble and corrupted cards.

My workflow is to copy the images onto the hard-drive of the computer, and then make an immediate CD (or DVD) of the unprocesssed images. After I make any alterations or corrections, I make another CD of the altered images.

If I am doing anything for pay, I make sure that any original images on CDs verify with the originals and I make sure that I have at least two good CDs first, before I flush the originals on the storage cards.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Without knowing your image workflow, I can only speculate. I suspect that if you are taking the storage card out of the camera to view images on the computer, your viewer software is somehow altering the images so that they are no longer compliant with your camera.

Always copy images to your computer and make alterations to the "copied" images on the computer. Anything else is just plain asking for trouble and corrupted cards.

My workflow is to copy the images onto the hard-drive of the computer, and then make an immediate CD (or DVD) of the unprocesssed images. After I make any alterations or corrections, I make another CD of the altered images.

If I am doing anything for pay, I make sure that any original images on CDs verify with the originals and I make sure that I have at least two good CDs first, before I flush the originals on the storage cards.

Yeah, I know if you edit the images in the computer while they're still in card and not in the HDD, then the images in the card will not show up again in the camera. But the pictures I took last evening, I did not edit them in the computer while they were still in the card - I copied them to a folder on the desktop and edited them in there while the card was still inserted in the computer. Could that still mess up the images in the card that way? I can't see how, but that's the only thing I can figure out, of how they got messed up anyway. Thanks!

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 9, 2007
    Yeah, I know if you edit the images in the computer while they're still in card and not in the HDD, then the images in the card will not show up again in the camera. But the pictures I took last evening, I did not edit them in the computer while they were still in the card - I copied them to a folder on the desktop and edited them in there while the card was still inserted in the computer. Could that still mess up the images in the card that way? I can't see how, but that's the only thing I can figure out, of how they got messed up anyway. Thanks!

Again, I need to know your workflow.
    What software are you using?
    Step-by-step, walk me through your process.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 10, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Again, I need to know your workflow.
    What software are you using?
    Step-by-step, walk me through your process.

Oh... I have PS7, Nikon's Picture Project, and Windows' Photo Gallery which comes in Vista's OS.
    But the thing is, the pictures I took on Easter evening, I did not mess with them while they were in the card,
    (only as copies in a desktop folder) and still all but 2 of those Easter pictures stopped showing up in the camera's screen.
    Funny how this all started since I installed Vista.headscratch.gif

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    ... I copied them to a folder on the desktop and edited them in there while the card was still inserted in the computer. Could that still mess up the images in the card that way?

Yes, thats how they were messed up... it happens to me too sometimes when I don't erase my photos from my memory card. I highly suggest keeping your photos on your computer once you start editing them. Once there, there is no point in copying them back to your sd card.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    But the thing is, the pictures I took on Easter evening, I did not mess with them while they were in the card,
    (only as copies in a desktop folder) and still all but 2 of those Easter pictures stopped showing up in the camera's screen.
    Funny how this all started since I installed Vista.headscratch.gif
    Did you perform any actions on your photos, including viewing in vista, before they stopped showing up on your card?
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
    edited April 11, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    Did you perform any actions on your photos, including viewing in vista, before they stopped showing up on your card?

Yeah, I copied them from the card into a folder on the desktop,
    and then I edited the pictures in the desktop folder, not in the card.
    I viewed them first in the card, then veiwed them in the desktop folder.
    But as long as it's not the card going out so soon already, and especially not the camera at all, then it's all cool.

My Gear