Options

Is there a good cheap apple laptop?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited January 30, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
So I'm sitting here in the computer lab and all that are free are macs, so i think to myself, I wonder what my smugmug page looks like on a mac monitor. My word I think I'm in love. I've used macs in elementary school so I'm familiar with them, though I never liked them, but here's what I'm wondering. Is there a mac that would be faster at photo editing than my windowx xp based p4 2.4ghz with 768ram that is also cheap as all get out (obviously we are talking used here)?
Thanks,
richard

Comments

• Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Your title says laptop, but your post is about a desktop?

A lot depends on what you want to spend. If you go real cheap, you might not be happy with the speed of working on your pictures.

Why not get a Mac Mini instead? Those are cheaper and you get a relatively fast processor.

If you want a laptop, like I posted in the other thread here, check out the refurb section at Applestore.com But be prepared to spend at least $700 on one that is relatively current.

Stay away from G3 processors as they are older and won't seem as fast as your current system which means you won't be happy.

But first you have to decide on a budget. Then work from there.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    well, what I'm using in the complab is a desktop, so i suppose it is bad logic to assume that a mac laptop would have as good a monitor. something about the pictures on here, they just look better...though maybe thats a bad thing and they look better than they print? I'm also nto a fan of the delay between my fingers hitting the keys and letters appearing on the screen. Maybe I was too quick to assume I like this. Either way, $700 is too rich for my blood. Ah well...if I could just get my laptops monitor to take to a hardware calibration, maybe I wouldn't be so easily impressed by everything else.
    Richard