Dragan

bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
edited April 15, 2007 in Finishing School
:scratch I've asked this before but got no reply so thought I'd try again. Does anyone have the complete break down of the Dragan technique? I've been able to download the action but not been able to break it down step by step.
bsvirginian:dunno

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    headscratch.gif I've asked this before but got no reply so thought I'd try again. Does anyone have the complete break down of the Dragan technique? I've been able to download the action but not been able to break it down step by step.
    bsvirginianne_nau.gif

I'm not sure I understand... headscratch.gif
    You can "open" the action and see all the steps... ne_nau.gif
    What are you looking for? rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    If you go to DP retouching forum and type in dragan or dragonizer you will find a mess of links and tutorials and other actions .

One way to do it is , make a dup layer, desaturate. run the high pass filter on it and get the edges highlighted ( around 20-30 ) defined edge but not halos. Blend iwth overlay, make another duplicate then run the midnight sepia filter on it. adjust opacity to each layer as your like . then flatten . new dup layer and oaint with light. :)

its just one of many ways. each image will take a bit different approach.
  • bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    headscratch.gif Hi Nikolai. Evidently my download is protected as when I right click or whatever I don't get any steps at all.
    bsvirginian
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm not sure I understand... headscratch.gif
    You can "open" the action and see all the steps... ne_nau.gif
    What are you looking for? rolleyes1.gif
  • bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    mwink.gif Thanks CookieS. Just what I was looking for. bsvirginian
    CookieS wrote:
    If you go to DP retouching forum and type in dragan or dragonizer you will find a mess of links and tutorials and other actions .

One way to do it is , make a dup layer, desaturate. run the high pass filter on it and get the edges highlighted ( around 20-30 ) defined edge but not halos. Blend iwth overlay, make another duplicate then run the midnight sepia filter on it. adjust opacity to each layer as your like . then flatten . new dup layer and oaint with light. :)

its just one of many ways. each image will take a bit different approach.
  • leuallenleuallen Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Google 'Dragan video'. There is one on YouTube. The video is in Polish(?) and a little hard to follow especially if you are not an expert in PS. If you watch it a few times and pay attention to the menus, dialogs, and layer stack you can figure out what he is doing.

I don't know if this is Dragan or someone else but the work is good.

The process is not what most people have assumed. It is quite basic actually. No high pass or anyting fancy. The artist does most things destructively and uses few layers. You could modify the process to do it non-destructively after you have mastered the way that he does it.

This is definetly not action material - one click will not do it. You will have to dig in and work to achieve the same results.

Larry