Need some PS help

photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited April 12, 2007 in Finishing School
I've been using PS for years and I have tried several, methods to color correct this image. The photo was taken in a gym, the building had sodium lights, which give a yellow cast, complicate that by the choice of brown carpet and brown floor covering and I end up with a real warm photo. I can correct most of the color but I end up with hair something not looking right. Any ideas would be appreciated.
"Make it don't take it!"

Jason

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    Got the original available for tweaking?
  • photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    Tweaking...
    RogersDA wrote:

I'll post it tonight...to my site and provide a link. If you can work it out let me know what you do so I can try it with the rest of the series. Thanks for your help.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    You could spend hours if not days on this shot tweaking. You might even be able to pull off a low res fix that doesn't look that bad.

The main problem is that you have two completely different light sources at two completely different color temps.
    Your on board flash/speedlight and the sodium vapes.

Fix.. Gel your on board/sl next time and you can white balance in a snap. (gels are DIRT CHEAP)

I know this doesn't fix your shot now. Just take it as a valuable lesson for the next time you shoot in an environment like this. Either gel your light, or shoot ambient.

-Jon
    edited April 11, 2007
    gel fix
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    You could spend hours if not days on this shot tweaking. You might even be able to pull off a low res fix that doesn't look that bad.

The main problem is that you have two completely different light sources at two completely different color temps.
    Your on board flash/speedlight and the sodium vapes.

Fix.. Gel your on board/sl next time and you can white balance in a snap. (gels are DIRT CHEAP)

I know this doesn't fix your shot now. Just take it as a valuable lesson for the next time you shoot in an environment like this. Either gel your light, or shoot ambient.

-Jon

While you are right it dosen't fix the shot now it is a solution and that was what I was after. The building is at my parents church and I shot there regulary. I never worried before because they were for me. Now that folks can print from the site I am trying to watch my color more. Not to mention I am no longer shooting for a snap shot but for a keepsake. Thanks.

I know nothing about gels so fill me in?
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
    edited April 11, 2007
    Orginal file
    RogersDA wrote:

Don't worry. I think I am just going to post them BW this time. Thanks though.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    I disagree you need hours fixing this shot. It just depends on how far you want to go. This was a quick fix neutralizing yellows in Lab.