Wedding photography, any comments or suggestions?

ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited May 2, 2007 in Technique
These were taken from my very first wedding. I'd like comments or suggestion on different techniques I should have used, or maybe they're
ok? I happen to be my worst critic.
HerreraWedding046.jpg
Thanks in advance!
HerreraWedding026.jpg
HerreraWedding077.jpg

HerreraWedding122.jpg
Shannon :D
Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
www.heatonphotography.net
http://picasaweb.google.com/heatonphotography
www.myspace.com/heatonphotography

Comments

• JBartholomewJBartholomew Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    My favorite is the second picture of the bridge doing her makeup. The exposure is nice, the DOF is nice. The first one could use another stop of compensation (if you shot RAW, try bumping the exposure +1 or +1.3). The third looks a little blurry to me, but maybe that could be recovered with an Unsharp mask in photoshop? The last one is underexposed by atleast 1.5-2 stops, it looks like the camera metered the light in the doorway (completely blown out). You might want to try spot metering on the Bride's dress, but you could probably recover this with a selective bump in exposure in photoshop.
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    143013446-L-1.jpgI agree with the above and also can I suggest possibly trying some of these in BW. I sure hope you don't mind but I gave it a try. I really like the one of the bride in BW.

Shane

143012161-L-1.jpg
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • JBartholomewJBartholomew Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Hmm, thinking about this, the makeup picture would look great in speia.
    SitterS wrote:
    143013446-L-1.jpgI agree with the above and also can I suggest possibly trying some of these in BW. I sure hope you don't mind but I gave it a try. I really like the one of the bride in BW.

Shane

143012161-L-1.jpg
  • ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    Great suggestons!
    I don't mind at all, and am flattered you took the time to do this for me :)
    I think the b&w gave it a great effect. Thank you.mwink.gif
    SitterS wrote:

Shane

143012161-L-1.jpg
    Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    You are very welcome. Glad you didn't mind me playing. thumb.gif

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • kariekarie Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Great conversion, Shane
    SitterS wrote:
    You are very welcome. Glad you didn't mind me playing. thumb.gif

Shane

Play with my images, Shane. I really really love what you do with a b&w. Please share your secrets of conversion?!! Is it posted somewhere?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    These were taken from my very first wedding. I'd like comments or suggestion on different techniques I should have used, or maybe they're
    ok? I happen to be my worst critic.
    HerreraWedding046.jpg
    I like this shot but the groom really needs to be a touch to his left, so the cross is jutting not out of his head.....also I think it would be better shot in portrait orientation (vertical). Over all a really nice shot................

Thanks in advance!
    HerreraWedding077.jpg
    This shot is also very nice but need to be in portrait orientation ot evenly centered (I know that it is almost impossible to get some shots properly centered in some churches......I normally do everything I can in portrait orientation and save landscape for something really special and group shots of course.........

HerreraWedding122.jpg
    Also very nice but try to keep camera level :D they be tilting just a tad....was this after the reception?????
    :D:D:D.....if then I understand the slight listing to one side:D:D:D:D...... as was mentioned this is slightly under exposed...as well as spot metering try a little fill flash...that will also help out in this type of situation.......
    All my comment are above interspersed with your pics in large bold type and beautiful cyan to keep a separation from your posting......

EXTREMELY NICE WORK FOR A 1ST WEDDING.......As long as you had fun it will only get easier and more fun making special memories for other people......thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 26, 2007
    You're a funny guy, everytime I look back at this thread, I have to laugh!
    Thank you for the smile and the suggestions rolleyes1.gif
    Art Scott wrote:
    Also very nice but try to keep camera level :D they be tilting just a tad....was this after the reception?????:D:D:D.....if then I understand the slight listing to one side:D:D:D:D...... as was mentioned this is slightly under exposed...as well as spot metering try a little fill flash...that will also help out in this type of situation.......
    All my comment are above interspersed with your pics in large bold type and beautiful cyan to keep a separation from your posting......

EXTREMELY NICE WORK FOR A 1ST WEDDING.......As long as you had fun it will only get easier and more fun making special memories for other people......thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I actually like all of them , the bride and groom at the alter does seem soft. but I can see 'style in the others. the black and white did look nice in the "walking way shot." and the blown whites, just adds that bit of mystery to it. Very nice.
    edited April 29, 2007
    Thanks Cookies :)
    CookieS wrote:
    I actually like all of them , the bride and groom at the alter does seem soft. but I can see 'style in the others. the black and white did look nice in the "walking way shot." and the blown whites, just adds that bit of mystery to it. Very nice.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Great Shots!
    Honestly, I think you did an amazing job. You seem to have caught some incredible moments in time that will be treasured forever. There's no shame in doing a little work in photoshop to make them just like you want them.

#1 I think is my favorite. You captured the scared look of the groom. Full of anticipation. My only comment would be to crop it to make it look centered, and if you go really crazy go all the way to portriat.

#2 is quite an amazing capture. I'm not sure how it would do under these conditions with the complex lighting, but you might want to try pasting a copy into another layer, bumping up a stop or so, then selectively highlighting his face to match hers. Or just go with the B&W and hide it all anyway.

#3 I really like that the doorway is overexposed. True a fill in flash may given the exposure to get whatever's outside, but if it's just a car or a person or a highway who wants to see that? I like it overexposed, I like that it's tilted, and I love it in B&W. Imperfections give the photo character. If you play with anything maybe selective highlighting again or if you shot in RAW play with the WB and exposure to try and get the dress white instead of the yellowish color. (on second look ditch all ideas and go B&W, that looks INCREDIBLE).thumb.gif

Fantastic work - if this was my wedding I'd recommend you in a heartbeat.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
    edited May 2, 2007
    Well, I certainly appreciate your comments. I put my entire soul into that day, and hoped for the best :D
    I learn a little more everyday, as we all do. Thank you!

Shannon
    Honestly, I think you did an amazing job. You seem to have caught some incredible moments in time that will be treasured forever. There's no shame in doing a little work in photoshop to make them just like you want them.

#1 I think is my favorite. You captured the scared look of the groom. Full of anticipation. My only comment would be to crop it to make it look centered, and if you go really crazy go all the way to portriat.

#2 is quite an amazing capture. I'm not sure how it would do under these conditions with the complex lighting, but you might want to try pasting a copy into another layer, bumping up a stop or so, then selectively highlighting his face to match hers. Or just go with the B&W and hide it all anyway.

#3 I really like that the doorway is overexposed. True a fill in flash may given the exposure to get whatever's outside, but if it's just a car or a person or a highway who wants to see that? I like it overexposed, I like that it's tilted, and I love it in B&W. Imperfections give the photo character. If you play with anything maybe selective highlighting again or if you shot in RAW play with the WB and exposure to try and get the dress white instead of the yellowish color. (on second look ditch all ideas and go B&W, that looks INCREDIBLE).thumb.gif

Fantastic work - if this was my wedding I'd recommend you in a heartbeat.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    nice B&W conversion.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com