Help needed #3

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited April 11, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Poised Elegance
142557508-L.jpg

Nik suggested a different placement in the frame. I too considered this when cropping. The detail of reflection behind the loon's back and the pool of disturbed water on the right I believe is necessary as that makes the pose that more dramatic. Which do you like better? Here is a different crop:

142664636-L.jpg
Ideas, comments, suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    I really like it. Not sure if it's picturesque, but it sure is purty =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    Wow, great capture! The more I look at it, the more photogenic and picturesque it looks to me. Most portraits really speak the former to me, but with the wings, it really brings out the latter. Excellent detail.
    Chris
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    David,
    There are few things about this shot that keep me on the fence..

Pros:
    • great capture of the moment
    • "pose" is definitely "elegant"
    • very nice colors
    • with great pattern on the bird
    • DOF, exposure and focus are spot on
    Now, the other part :-(
    • shot is dead centered, which makes it kinda boring
    • with all its technical excellency it bears the look and feel of a snapshot rolleyes1.gif Maybe simply because of the centered composition deal.gif
    I hope I'm wrong on the last two (but at least I swear I'm honest:-)

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    Thanks Nik.....
    Yes, I've been thinking about this very thing as I've looked at it...fortunately, I can recrop...thought about the centering thing when was doing it.....going for a new comp......will repost...thanks again.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    that's great,
    I prefer your second one since it's off center. i think it's picturesque. what a beautiful bird and i love the effects in the water.

tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    That's a beautiful shot. I love the way the texture of the water echos the bird's wings. I actually like the centered shot better because I think the symmetry features that similarity well.

My understanding of Picturesque is that it is aesthetic in between classical beauty (think Michelangelo's David) and the gothic grotesque (Strikeslip's cottage shot in the entry thread is a stunning example of this). IMO, elegance is classical beauty rather than picturesque beauty. That, I realize, is a rather narrow definition of picturesque. Does this distinction matter for the competition? Got me...ne_nau.gif , but in the case of a great shot like this one maybe not.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    With this shot, the center composition doesn't bother me at all. It tells me the bird isn't really going anywhere, just floofing (is that a word?) its wings. The offset seems to imply the bird is going to enter that space. I like 'em both.
    Chris
    edited April 10, 2007
    Swartzy,
    Swartzy wrote:
    Yes, I've been thinking about this very thing as I've looked at it...fortunately, I can recrop...thought about the centering thing when was doing it.....going for a new comp......will repost...thanks again.

I like the new crop better. I would even crop a bit more from the bottom (first bright band) and just a tad more from the right.

Another idea maybe to go boack to the 1st image and crop from top/left, thus showing the disturbed water behind the loon and creating strong diagonal movement intersecting with the wings and thus creating a very strong focal point.

Also, it somehow looks flatter, maybe give it a bit of DavidTO's "pop" medicine...
    edited April 10, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    ...gothic grotesque (Strikeslip's cottage shot in the entry thread is a stunning example of this). ...

You don't say. The moment I saw it I was like "wow, darn, this is good"...
    edited April 10, 2007
    Thank you all!
    I have to agree with those who like the centered shot better as that's my gut instinct...what I saw when originally processing. Since the loon is at an angle along with the reflection, pose and lighting....I threw out the infamous rule as it to my eye works this way best. The first also is a bit "closer", hence bigger in the frame.....but......wait....Nik showed me some light! How's this?

142717108-L.jpg

I see exactly what Nik is seeing (except for the 2nd one being flat, as that actually has a bit more pop than the first....heh, you should see the layers Nik mwink.gif). Soooooo........Liquid Air......If I thought about stuff like that rolleyes1.gif Wow, I learned something new, again. Thank you kindly for the kind words & comments.

What a great bunch! I sincerely appreciate it.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 10, 2007
    Beautiful capture but I'm struggling to put it into the context of the topics for this round.
    edited April 10, 2007
    Truth.......
    truth wrote:
    Beautiful capture but I'm struggling to put it into the context of the topics for this round.

The Loon is a unique bird and sometimes called "The great diver". It's beauty is oddly unique. It is Minnesota's state bird and this particular capture within the context of late day light, demonstrates the picturesque theme...even if only in my mind. This pose is indicative of the loon's nature & mating habits, making it that much more.......picturesque.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Annie222Annie222 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    The Loon is a unique bird and sometimes called "The great diver". It's beauty is oddly unique. It is Minnesota's state bird and this particular capture within the context of late day light, demonstrates the picturesque theme...even if only in my mind. This pose is indicative of the loon's nature & mating habits, making it that much more.......picturesque.

Not only do I learn about photography here but wildlife as well!! I really like it and agree t fits picturesque perfectly.