Sub-Categories vs Galleries

mishnogrammishnogram Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited April 10, 2007 in SmugMug Support
This is probably been asked and answered but couldn't find it by searching. I was wondering what the basic difference was between sub categories vs galleries. My main concern is to save my photos in a logical order. Both seem to work ok for me but is there a benefit of one over another?

Thanks in advance,

Min
Min Lee
lee-family.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    mishnogram wrote:
    This is probably been asked and answered but couldn't find it by searching. I was wondering what the basic difference was between sub categories vs galleries. My main concern is to save my photos in a logical order. Both seem to work ok for me but is there a benefit of one over another?

Thanks in advance,

Min
    Hi, a gallery holds photos. A sub category holds galleries.

Much more is really well done, right here: http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Pros/SiteOrganization

Be sure to click through to all the links, and there's also a great video on our help page (also linked from the wiki)...

Holler with questions :)
  • dusty-dogdusty-dog Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    I was crazy confused about this also. headscratch.gif I just couldn't understand the structure. So, I ended up with a category called "National Parks". Then, each park is its own gallery. I guess what I should have done was something more like this"

Category - National Parks
    Sub-category - Fire Island National Seashore
    Gallery - Flora
    Gallery - Fauna
    Gallery - Landscapes
    Gallery - Willam Floyd Estate

Sub-category - Grand Canyon National Park
    Gallery - Landscapes
    Gallery - Fauna
    etc........

I suppose I can change it, but I just don't have the energy right now. Maybe some rainy day when I'm not outside shooting, have no dishes in the sink, laundry is done, house is dusted........ in other words, the thought of going through all that seems like pure tedium. That's why I'm waiting for smugbrowser to have the drag 'n drop option. That would be very, very cool.