keywords

smudgesmudge Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited April 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
hi all

Would greatly appreicate if anyone could answer me a quick question please .... ive been adding the site www.thephotopeople.co.uk to many search engines etc, and been reading up on yr suggestions etc with regards to improving the search results.

However, I need to add a load of keywords, can I add all the keywords i wish to just one place eg maybe the front page? and then hide them please so that no one can see them, but they are still picked up by search engines? or perhaps if i can put them all in one gallery and again hide them from view. Is there a simple way of doing this please?

Just a quick thought ....If i was to create a new gallery, then put in all the key words i wanted and then put this code into my footer, although it would hide the gallery from view, would it still enable the search engine to pick it up please?

so this code in my footer with the name of the new gallery...

<*script* type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
function delCategory() {
re = /\/(XXXXXX)$/;
var oList = YD.getElementsByClassName('miniBox', 'div', this);
for (i = 0; i < oList.length; i++) {
if (re.test(oList.getElementsByTagName('a')[0].href))
oList.parentNode.removeChild(oList);
}
}
YE.onContentReady('categoriesBox', delCategory);
</*script*>

would that work please? ....

im a little apprehensive to do this as in trial and error as the site is up and running and i dont want to chance messing things up.

Many thanks for your time and assistance with this question.

S :)

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    I'm not sure about adding keywords to the homepage, but you can keyword your galleries.
    More info here under "extras" http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage
  • smudgesmudge Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    richW wrote:
    I'm not sure about adding keywords to the homepage, but you can keyword your galleries.

thanks for getting back to me rich ..... so if i keyword a gallery and then hide it the way i mentioned above with the code pasted in the footer, (i did this with the Our Galleries and Contact Us gallery) so that basically its totally out of view without the need of making it private ... am i correct in understanding that once ive created a new gallery, put in my desired keywords etc, and then paste the code to hide that gallery in my footer the search engine will still pick up the key words. Sorry if im sounding dumb, but this is the first website ive created and im still very much trying to find my way around.

im fine with creating a new gallery and putting in the keywords etc, the problem im trying to solve is if i hide that gallery will the search engines still pick it up the keywords please?

many thanks

S :)
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    richW wrote:

If keywords are added as described in this link are they found by external search engines etc or are they only used for someone searching within all of Smugmug or within the Smugmug site as enterd ?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    If keywords are added as described in this link are they found by external search engines etc or are they only used for someone searching within all of Smugmug or within the Smugmug site as enterd ?
    Caroline
    if the gallery is public and not password protected then the keywords are found by external sites as well as used for the internal Smug search.
    I'm not sure how you contain the search to only your site.

Andrew
    edited April 11, 2007
    Dna wrote:
    if the gallery is public and not password protected then the keywords are found by external sites as well as used for the internal Smug search.
    I'm not sure how you contain the search to only your site.

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew, I don't want to contain the search to my site so the rest is good news.

Caroline

[/URL]
    edited April 12, 2007
    Keywords not showing ?
    I keyworded this gallery yesterday:- http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/gallery/2698931 as follows
    "canal kennet and avon canal boat canal boats" having read in this thread that the keywords would be picked up by search engines and Smugmug. Is this so ? if it is why don't the keywords show on my Keyword page?

Its no big deal but I'm curious to know exactly how this works, which is why I did itheadscratch.gif

Caroline

[/URL]
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    I keyworded this gallery yesterday:- http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/gallery/2698931 as follows
    "canal kennet and avon canal boat canal boats" having read in this thread that the keywords would be picked up by search engines and Smugmug. Is this so ? if it is why don't the keywords show on my Keyword page?

Its no big deal but I'm curious to know exactly how this works, which is why I did itheadscratch.gif

Caroline
    It takes a littel bit of time for Smugmug servers to find the words and the same with Google et al.

Give it another day or so.

Andrew
    edited April 13, 2007
    Gallery Keywords still not being picked up
    Dna wrote:
    It takes a littel bit of time for Smugmug servers to find the words and the same with Google et al.

Give it another day or so.

Andrew

This morning I uploaded3 images to the gallery in question, i captioned and keyworded them individually and this has been picked up by Smugmug. However, the keywording of the gallery is still not showing up. As I said previously in this instance it is no big deal but i would like to be sure that if I keyword a gallery it actually will show up. I don't want to have to remember to keep checking just in case it does/doesn't.

Caroline

[/URL]